Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

1. -51
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    *cough* bull**** *cough*

I watch quality teachers leave my profession every year due to frustration. We get paid **** wages compared to others of our education level (I DID know that going in, but it's insulting when people that don't know what they're talking about start spewing bs) ... We are required to return to school in the summers at our own expense to take "refresher courses" in whatever ruling political party's ideological flavor of the month is ... We donate our extra time constantly for the betterment of our students ... We spend money out of our own pockets to provide for our students on a daily basis ... We help the kids whenever they need it ... Hell, every year I'm a better parent to some of my students than their biological ones. (feel free to shudder at that one)

In short, you have no clue about what you speak of.
    I've explained to you before, I have 4 family members in the teaching field. Maybe things are viewed differently because of the states we live in.
    Quote Quote  

2. -52
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    I've explained to you before, I have 4 family members in the teaching field. Maybe things are viewed differently because of the states we live in.
    Then maybe we shouldn't be making blanket statements.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln
    Quote Quote  

3. -53
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

Then maybe we shouldn't be making blanket statements.
    It's a mboard, I think we all make that mistake more often than we care to.
    Quote Quote  

4. -54
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

Private school education is no better than public school education. It's not as if I tell my students, "Sorry, little Billy. I'd love to tell you all about that, but your parents didn't send you to private school - so you'll just have to remain stupid."

The difference lies in the effort of the student. When kids don't care and won't try, it's usually (in my experience) because the parents don't care. At least until they want to find something to bitch about.[COLOR="Silver"]
    The inherent quality of the material taught may not be any better in private school but the quality of students tends to be a lot higher because their parents have expectations and tangible skin in the game. Also, private schools aren't typically burdened down with the bull crap of the city/state/federal government. They can expel kids as necessary and fail them if they don't achieve. I attended both as a kid as have my kids. Our observation is that you can be successful in either situation but it is definitely more likely in the private school scenario.
    Quote Quote  

5. -55
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If your NASCAR racing team hires the best driver in history but you give him a Yugo to drive, do you pay him a lot because he's the best, or does his pay reflect the fact that he finishes last in every race?

I sympathize with most public school teachers. Based on effort many are underpaid. Based on results, many are overpaid. They're pawns in a broken and antiquated system.

There is hope.

All black, all male public school
    lottery enrollment from a troubled neighborhood
    school enforces a strict uniform
    Only 4 percent of this year's senior class read at grade level as freshmen
    an extended day--170,000 more minutes over four years compared to its counterparts
    more than double the number of English credits usually needed to graduate
    instead of 62% dropping out (link), all seniors are college bound

Traditional public education has lowered standards for generations trying to get all students to pass. Perhaps it time to raise expections so all students can succeed?

Chicago Public SchoolsCharter school in tough neighborhood gets all its seniors into college
    March 05, 2010

The entire senior class at Chicago's only public all-male, all-African-American high school has been accepted to four-year colleges. At last count, the 107 seniors had earned spots at 72 schools across the nation.

Mayor Richard Daley and Chicago Public Schools chief Ron Huberman surprised students at an all-school assembly at Urban Prep Academy for Young Men in Englewood this morning to congratulate them. It's the first graduating class at Urban Prep since it opened its doors in 2006.

"All of you in the senior class have shown that what matters is perseverance, what matters is focus, what matters is having a dream and following that dream," Huberman said.

The school enforces a strict uniform of black blazers, khaki pants and red ties -- with one exception. After a student receives the news he was accepted into college, he swaps his red tie for a red and gold one at an assembly.

The last 13 students received their college ties today, to thunderous applause.

Ask Rayvaughn Hines what college he was accepted to and he'll answer with a question.

"Do you want me to name them all?"

For the 18-year-old from Back of the Yards, college was merely a concept--never a goal--growing up. Even within the last three years, he questioned if school, let alone college, was for him. Now, the senior is headed to the prestigious Morehouse College in Atlanta, Ga. next fall.

Hines remembers the moment he put on his red and gold tie.

"I wanted to take my time because I was just so proud of myself," he said. "I wanted everyone to see me put it on."

The achievement might not merit a mayoral visit at one of the city's elite, selective enrollment high schools. But Urban Prep, a charter school that enrolls using a lottery in one of the city's more troubled neighborhoods, faced difficult odds. Only 4 percent of this year's senior class read at grade level as freshmen, according to Tim King, the school's CEO.

"I never had a doubt that we would achieve this goal," King said. "Every single person we hired knew from the day one that this is what we do: We get our kids into college."

College is omnipresent at the school. Before the students begin their freshman year, they take a field trip to Northwestern University. Every student is assigned a college counselor the day he steps foot in the school.

The school offers an extended day--170,000 more minutes over four years compared to its counterparts across the city--and more than double the number of English credits usually needed to graduate.

Even the school's voicemail has a student declaring "I am college bound" before it asks callers to dial an extension.

Normally, it takes senior Jerry Hinds two buses and 45 minutes to get home from school. On Dec. 11, the day University of Illinois at Champaign- Urbana was to post his admission decisions online at 5 p.m., he asked a friend to drive him home.

He went into his bedroom, told his well-wishing mother this was something he had to do alone, closed the door and logged in.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" he remembers screaming. His mother, who didn't dare stray far, burst in and began crying.

That night he made more than 30 phone calls, at times shouting "I got in" on his cell phone and home phone at the same time.

"We're breaking barriers," he said. "And that feels great."
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...llege-all-male
    Im somewhat disappointed that more African Americans dont think for themselves and just go with whatever theyre supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

6. -56

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    GoFins! ... Thanks for that report. I love hearing about success stories.

I wish I could say that ALL of my students have gone on to success. Sadly, it's not the case. I've got at least 4 former students serving hard time at the moment. Three of them, not a huge surprise (generational poverty combined with dad/uncles jailed for various offenses = well, I tried to be a positive male influence. ) The fourth? Wrong place, wrong time, wrong friends. It's a lesson I stress to "my kids"

The truly rewarding moments in my career have come when I get a surprise visit (years later) from a former student who had been told his/her entire life up until 8th grade (& probably afterwards) that they just "weren't good/smart enough" to do anything with their life & they show up beaming with their college sheepskin in hand. (Currently 13 and counting) Days like that make all the bull**** worth it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -57
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Education absolutely needs to be more difficult with less emphasis on standardized tests and more on college acceptances. School should be year round and last longer each day, teachers should be paid more, counselors and tutors should be more readily available, and accountability should focus on the curriculum, student surveys, and direct observation (not grades or tests).
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

8. -58

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Slow your roll on ****ing with my Summers.

We need those two months off to recharge the 'ol batteries. I'd go full retard without 'em.

Now, some years I work in those two months - and some years I don't. (depends on financial issues - like: did I harvest enough game/fish to save enough dough to just chill in the Summer ... **** like that.)

Lately, it's been good! I've even been able to squirrel away enough to enjoy a Vegas vacation for the past several years. (doesn't look like this year, but F it)

Still ... Summers? NEED THEM!

You try dealing with an avg. of 125 different Thirteen-turning-Fourteen-year-olds every year, WITHOUT A BREAK, and then tell me exactly how your sanity is holding up.
    Quote Quote  

9. -59
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I didn't mean to say there should be no breaks, I think they should be spread out around each quarter.
    Quote Quote  

10. -60
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "If the pursuit of learning is not defended by the educated citizen, it will not be defended at all. For there will always be those who scoff at intellectuals, who cry out against research, who seek to limit our educational system. Modern cynics and skeptics see no more reason for landing a man on the moon, which we shall do, than the cynics and skeptics of half a millennium ago saw for the discovery of this country. They see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing.
    But the educated citizen knows how much more there is to know. He knows that "knowledge is power," more so today than ever before. He knows that only an educated and informed people will be a free people, that the ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all, and that if we can, as Jefferson put it, "enlighten the people generally ... tyranny and the oppressions of mind and body will vanish, like evil spirits at the dawn of day." And, therefore, the educated citizen has a special obligation to encourage the pursuit of learning, to promote exploration of the unknown, to preserve the freedom of inquiry, to support the advancement of research, and to assist at every level of government the improvement of education for all Americans, from grade school to graduate school." - President John F. Kennedy
    Quote Quote