Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Which player of the 3 would you be most intrigued if drafted? If not, explain other.

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade up for CB Dee Milliner (Swap of 1sts and one 2nd rounder)

13 12.04%
  • Trade up for OT Lane Johnson (Swap of 1sts and one 2nd rounder)

14 12.96%
  • Draft WR Tavon Austin at 12

32 29.63%
  • Other

49 45.37%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which draft scenario is most appealing to you?

1. -11
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Carradine, Patterson, Austin, Eifert . . .
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We need a great player. I would take Austin. That's my best guess. I don't want to get cute, taking some lineman in the first round in hopes that a guy who somewhat resembles Austin will still be available in the second or third. Get him in camp and the resemblance will be mostly make believe.

Austin is going to run past people, and around them. I place great value in that. There's not a lot of guesswork. With plenty of other guys it's a projection whether they can cover, or block, at the same level of effectiveness in the NFL. The hits are touted and the misses ignored.

I don't like the way the NFL has evolved but I accept it. Austin fits.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm just iffy on Jonathan Martin at LT. I loved Martin at Stanford, but was somewhat disappointed by his play at RT last season for the Dolphins. I realize he was a rookie and can improve, but if he can't play at a high enough level all the gains made on the offensive side of the football won't matter much. I guess the team can still trade for Albert and put him at LT, but I don't know where Miami is in those negotiations.

So while I would love to stay put and get Eifert, Austin, Carradine etc., I think it makes sense to move up for Lane Johnson. It might be hard to do, though, because so many teams ahead of Miami have needs at tackle.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus45 View Post
    Austin is not worth the 12 pick TO US because he is undersized, doesnt address any of our needs, and not a consistent 3 down player. Out of a 12 you at very minimum want a guy who plays 3 downs almost every series. At most you want a guy who will start for you for 5 years with a few pro bowl appearances. You also don't address him at 12 TO US because we just resigned Hartline, and signed Gibson and Wallace to address the WR position. We also still have positions of need we tried to resign but didn't get done that can be addressed by guys at 12 who will come in and start 3 downs with a potential for elite status over time.

This pick isn't about emotion, it's about our needs being met by some really good players at 12. Tavon Austin isn't that guy.
    You're wrong when you say Austin doesn't address any of our needs. We are still in dire need of play makers, and we're in need of a guy who can dominate the middle of a football field. Austin is a perfect fit, because the combination of he and Wallace would give D's fits. Wallace stretches out a D as well as anyone, and Austin is as dynamic in space as anyone.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Who pissed in your kool aide?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    You're wrong when you say Austin doesn't address any of our needs. We are still in dire need of play makers, and we're in need of a guy who can dominate the middle of a football field. Austin is a perfect fit, because the combination of he and Wallace would give D's fits. Wallace stretches out a D as well as anyone, and Austin is as dynamic in space as anyone.
    I don't understand how people neglect the fact that even though we bolstered the receiving corps through free agency, it's far from exceptional. We need more explosiveness outside Wallace, and we would have TWO world class speedsters/burners on the same squad if we drafted Austin. Wallace is widely regarded as the NFL's best elite deep threat, and fastest receiver. Tavon Austin may be even faster.

"Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see."
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In a perfect world we take Austin 12 and trade back up into the 1st round and grab Trufant. The rest of the draft would be gravy for me.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Do not want to trade up and I think Austin is overvalued.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Dolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    He doesn't address any of our NEEDS, although he could very well address WANTS. We brought in Wallace, Keller, and Gibson to fill much needed voids. Don't forget, those three guys had 4x as many TDs as our WRs last year. Sure, they could improve still but we still have other NEEDS. Also, a 5'7" 175lb guy will not dominate the middle of an NFL football field. Maybe college not nfl.

For example - OL. Ireland has never hit a home run on OL outside the first round. Pouncey is turning into a home run and Long was until injuries. Even injured he was still really good. Outside round 1 you have Jerry who is barely serviceable and Martin who is a question mark. So, with 5 plug and play starting OL players that will be taken in the first 15 why not address an area of need with a great player?

Don't like OL? What about TE? Eifert is looking like he'll be a really good pro. Trade down a couple and take him while picking up extra 2nd or 3rd rd picks. You then have the big seam target for Tanne and more picks in round two to add depth or starters. He could dominate the middle more than Austin.

Still don't like TE or OL? Well, could use a pass rusher opposite Wake. Lots of good options should fall to us at 12.

He about CB? We have two starters coming off injury. Might be a more prudent idea.

Look, I like the Austin kid but don't think he works for us at 12. My early mocks had him in rd 2 before his stock really rose. I just think we have bigger needs now than a luxury, and that should make sense. We won 7 games last year with Hartline as a 1 and Fasano as the pass catching TE. With Wallace in the mix as well as Keller and Gibson plus having Bess back and healthy I would say our WRs are much improved for this year and not a NEED
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree. We have resigned hartline, picked up Wallace and Gibson. I do believe we add another WR in the draft but it won't be at 12. We need to fill bigger holes at 12. I believe it should be OT, CB or DE. no other position. We need to fill one of those needs at 12 and they need to be our starter.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus45 View Post
    He doesn't address any of our NEEDS, although he could very well address WANTS. We brought in Wallace, Keller, and Gibson to fill much needed voids. Don't forget, those three guys had 4x as many TDs as our WRs last year. Sure, they could improve still but we still have other NEEDS. Also, a 5'7" 175lb guy will not dominate the middle of an NFL football field. Maybe college not nfl.

For example - OL. Ireland has never hit a home run on OL outside the first round. Pouncey is turning into a home run and Long was until injuries. Even injured he was still really good. Outside round 1 you have Jerry who is barely serviceable and Martin who is a question mark. So, with 5 plug and play starting OL players that will be taken in the first 15 why not address an area of need with a great player?

Don't like OL? What about TE? Eifert is looking like he'll be a really good pro. Trade down a couple and take him while picking up extra 2nd or 3rd rd picks. You then have the big seam target for Tanne and more picks in round two to add depth or starters. He could dominate the middle more than Austin.

Still don't like TE or OL? Well, could use a pass rusher opposite Wake. Lots of good options should fall to us at 12.

He about CB? We have two starters coming off injury. Might be a more prudent idea.

Look, I like the Austin kid but don't think he works for us at 12. My early mocks had him in rd 2 before his stock really rose. I just think we have bigger needs now than a luxury, and that should make sense. We won 7 games last year with Hartline as a 1 and Fasano as the pass catching TE. With Wallace in the mix as well as Keller and Gibson plus having Bess back and healthy I would say our WRs are much improved for this year and not a NEED
    Welker doesn't dominate the middle of the field? Is it because of that 1/2 inch he has on Austin? When we're talking about comparable players for Miami's offense, the closest example is R. Cobb. Cobb is an inch and a half taller and about 15 lbs heavier. In every other way, Austin blows him out of the water. Quicker, faster, more skilled as a WR, more dynamic as a runner, already has shown the knack for working the middle of the field (not too much projection there). When you're making a list of needs, the top one should be: We need to add players that make us more dynamic. The GM's job is not to have the roster with the fewest areas that need improvement; his job is to put together the team that will win the most games. You win games by fielding teams that can make dynamic plays. We still NEED more dynamic players on offense. Austin will help this Miami team win more games than will Lane Johnson. And I like Johnson a lot as a player.

Eifert is debatable. I had Eifert in front of Austin for most of this off season, but I think Austin is the more special talent. Because of his combination of intelligence, speed, quickness, and strength (don't sleep on his strength), he's able to do things from the slot that are unfair. He's the biggest match up problem in the draft (Patterson could eventually pass him).

Bottom line, I can empathize with people who are reluctant toward Austin. I was reluctant for a long time. At some point, though, he was just too good, and he made too much sense for us. Currently, I have Carradine and Patterson ahead of Austin (for my option at 12), but Austin is really on Patterson's heels. Safer pick.

Also, aside from Wallace all of our WR's are mediocre, and I don't think you can win anything significant with just one WR who isn't mediocre. So, again, he does address a major need. Also makes the Hartline signing not as bad, because he can give us the explosiveness in the slot that Hartline lacks opposite Wallace.
    Quote Quote