Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Which player of the 3 would you be most intrigued if drafted? If not, explain other.

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade up for CB Dee Milliner (Swap of 1sts and one 2nd rounder)

13 12.04%
  • Trade up for OT Lane Johnson (Swap of 1sts and one 2nd rounder)

14 12.96%
  • Draft WR Tavon Austin at 12

32 29.63%
  • Other

49 45.37%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which draft scenario is most appealing to you?

1. -31
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus45 View Post
    I think we have a difference of opinion of where the playmaking begins. You see Austin as a playmaker which I could agree is true. I see Tanne as the most important playmaker on the field and he showed how much better he was when healthy. He can't make plays on his backside. Look at the good QBs in the game, they make their WRs better- rarely the other way around. Look at good qb/WR combos without a good line (see bears & lions). No playoffs. Drafting OL is not sexy, but 4000 yard Tanne is. 1000 yard Miller is. OL helps both of those happen. Austin doesn't - or at least not nearly as much impact.

Also, look at who you have drafting. If Al Davis were drafting we would have Austin. We have two guys with a big history of the OL and drafting OL. They also tied their job to Tanne. They brought in WRs in the offseason and now it's inevitable they draft OL to protect him.

So all this Austin talk is fan man-crush. Understandable man-crush. With our Coach and GMs history, team needs, offseason, and available players in rd 1 we will not be seeing Austin come our way. Prob round 3 though - feel like they will pick up a quick WR there.
    I have a real problem with the idea that SB Competing QB's consistently make their WR's better - as opposed to the opposite. And if we're not talking about QB's who are competing for SB's, what are we talking about? Look at the WR groups on the last three SB Winners: Smith/Boldin/Jones (with a LT who appeared to be done as a player); Nicks/Cruz/Manningham (with major issues on the O-line); Jennings/Nelson/Driver/Jones (again, with an average-at-best O-line).
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Dolphins Homer
    According Football Outsider the Ravens were ranked 6th in run blocking and 14th at the pass blocking last year, NYG were 28 in run blocking but 6 in pass blocking in 2011, and GB was horrible. Of the top 10 teams in run blocking last year 8 made the playoffs and of the top 10 teams in pass blocking last year 7 made the playoffs. Of the bottom 10 in run blocking only 3 made the playoffs while in the bottom 10 in pass blocking only 4 made the playoffs. That's pretty telling. Im not saying we need to have an elite line - but our line ranked 21st in run and 17 in pass blocking and we lost Jake Long. Its pretty important to get the quality of out line play up.

I don't see how you have a problem with good QBs making players better. Good QBs throw their WRs open, put the ball in places for the WR to make plays - or sometimes even a catch. Sure, sometimes the WR helps out the QB by making some crazy catch, but you have to also realize that ball was thrown there usually because it is the only place either can make a play. If WRs could make QBs better I would expect more out of the QB carousel in Arizona.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The best scenario is to hope Detroit takes Ansah at 5, Cleveland takes Milliner at 6, & Fisher is still on the board for Arizona to take at 7 allowing us to trade up with Buffalo or the Jets to take Lane Johnson without giving up either one of our second rounders. I'm not in favor of any scenario where we trade one of our second rounders for anyone in this draft. It's not too often we have multiple premium picks & with obvious long term holes at OT, CB, DE, DT, TE, & FS we're going to need those picks.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    It was not a comparison. It was an example. A guy that size can dominate the middle of the field. End of THAT discussion. You say Harvin is great - using him as a comparison point for Austin, I assume - and then list his drawbacks, none of which are shared by Austin. Essentially, YOU say that Austin can be a great player if he doesn't have the drawbacks he doesn't have.
    No, i'm saying using 12 on Austin seems a little silly when we have bigger holes to fill...like a CB to start opposite Grimes....or a LT to protect our franchise QB, or a DE to take some pressure off of Wake.....and speedy little playmakers can be found in the later rounds of this draft (like Welker was)

And what kind of weaknesses does Austin bring to the table....you're drooling all over his jock, but you havent listed any shortcomings in his game. Did you lavish all your praise on Ginn as well...we had bigger holes, went with the speedy playmaker who could bust open games and look where that went.

Just sayings all......

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    According Football Outsider the Ravens were ranked 6th in run blocking and 14th at the pass blocking last year, NYG were 28 in run blocking but 6 in pass blocking in 2011, and GB was horrible. Of the top 10 teams in run blocking last year 8 made the playoffs and of the top 10 teams in pass blocking last year 7 made the playoffs. Of the bottom 10 in run blocking only 3 made the playoffs while in the bottom 10 in pass blocking only 4 made the playoffs. That's pretty telling. Im not saying we need to have an elite line - but our line ranked 21st in run and 17 in pass blocking and we lost Jake Long. Its pretty important to get the quality of out line play up.

I don't see how you have a problem with good QBs making players better. Good QBs throw their WRs open, put the ball in places for the WR to make plays - or sometimes even a catch. Sure, sometimes the WR helps out the QB by making some crazy catch, but you have to also realize that ball was thrown there usually because it is the only place either can make a play. If WRs could make QBs better I would expect more out of the QB carousel in Arizona.
    So the only way WR's make a QB look better is by making some crazy catch? Obviously I was wasting my time entering into this discussion.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyboy View Post
    You only say that because it's been forever since the Dolphins have had a good tight end. In fact, the history of the past 20 or so years is crap at the position.

You don't even know what it feels like to have a great TE on your team. You only know how difficult it is to defend great TE's with them burning Miami's defense time and time again like it's going out of style.

Tyler Eifert would be the best & most talented TE in Dolphins history when all is said and done,, if Miami were lucky enough to land him. He would open up the offense quite a bit and be Tannehill's (a young developing QB's) best friend, making our young QB a lot better in the process
    I agree with that , Te is a must . maybe later with one of our 2nds we get hunter wr. i see red zone tds here...
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    No, i'm saying using 12 on Austin seems a little silly when we have bigger holes to fill...like a CB to start opposite Grimes....or a LT to protect our franchise QB, or a DE to take some pressure off of Wake.....and speedy little playmakers can be found in the later rounds of this draft (like Welker was)

And what kind of weaknesses does Austin bring to the table....you're drooling all over his jock, but you havent listed any shortcomings in his game. Did you lavish all your praise on Ginn as well...we had bigger holes, went with the speedy playmaker who could bust open games and look where that went.

Just sayings all......
    I was never a fan of Ginn. If you mean to compare Austin to Ginn, you've either never seen Austin play, or you don't know what you're looking at.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Austin is not worth the 12 pick TO US because he is undersized, doesnt address any of our needs, and not a consistent 3 down player. Out of a 12 you at very minimum want a guy who plays 3 downs almost every series. At most you want a guy who will start for you for 5 years with a few pro bowl appearances. You also don't address him at 12 TO US because we just resigned Hartline, and signed Gibson and Wallace to address the WR position. We also still have positions of need we tried to resign but didn't get done that can be addressed by guys at 12 who will come in and start 3 downs with a potential for elite status over time.

This pick isn't about emotion, it's about our needs being met by some really good players at 12. Tavon Austin isn't that guy.
    Agreed. He would be a luxury pick that would leave us with just as many holes.

Now if someone said draft Eifert in the first (at 12 or potential trade down).......then draft a guy like Swope in the 3rd, that would make sense. Swope is pretty fast too, and would be an upgrade of Bess (he could be used as trade bait). This would make our team pretty untouchable from a speed and talent standpoint.

Then we could use our 2A pick for a CB and 2B for LT, or vice versa.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Giving up only a 2nd for Milliner is a no brainer.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Dolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    So the only way WR's make a QB look better is by making some crazy catch? Obviously I was wasting my time entering into this discussion.
    If that is all you got out of what I wrote maybe you are right - you shouldn't have entered into this discussion.
    Quote Quote