Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Which player of the 3 would you be most intrigued if drafted? If not, explain other.

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade up for CB Dee Milliner (Swap of 1sts and one 2nd rounder)

13 12.04%
  • Trade up for OT Lane Johnson (Swap of 1sts and one 2nd rounder)

14 12.96%
  • Draft WR Tavon Austin at 12

32 29.63%
  • Other

49 45.37%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which draft scenario is most appealing to you?

1. -41
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here's a way to make this simple.

Recent history has shown that you can make a SB and even win a SB with an average-to-below-average O-line.

Recent history has also shown that you have no chance of making the SB with average-to-below-average skill players on offense.

So what do we take away from that? Well, if you understand that 1+1=2, guys like T. Austin (who don't satisfy needs in some of our minds) are going to give you a better shot at competing for a SB than guys like L. Johnson. If you have a chance to add an explosive player, you do it. You don't have the luxury of bypassing explosive players for guys who will make your roster look more complete on paper.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Dolphins Homer
    Well, you might try to make it simple but your still not correct. Like I said before, 8 of the top 10 OL in Run Blocking and 7 of the top 10 OL in Pass Blocking made the playoffs last year while only 3 and 4 of the bottom teams respectively did. The trend clearly shows that the better your OL is the better the chance you have of making the playoffs. Of the top 10 WRs with a min of 50 receptions only 5 of their teams made the playoffs. Of the Super Bowl teams SF had Crabtree rated 9th and Baltimore didn't a receiver ranked until Bolden at 29th.

Furthermore 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowl teams ranked in the top 6 of Run Blocking with the only exception being the Giants which were an anomaly in most categories that year anyway. New England has been in the top 10 in Run Blocking since 2007 and top 10 in pass blocking since 2007 except in 08. Interestingly 2008 was our best average OL and the year we made the playoffs.

So what do you take away from that? I take away that stats show that you are more likely to be in the playoffs with a top 10 OL. Stats show me an elite Run Blocking OL gives you a better shot at the Super Bowl. WRs are important but do not have any statistical gauge on your ability to make the playoffs.

Why do I think that is? A top 10 OL lets your playmakers do whats best - make plays. The number 1 playmaker on the field is the QB. They have the most TDs at the end of a season by and individual and the most yards. The OL keeps him up. The top 10 Run Blocking OLs extend plays with 3rd and 1 and goal line stands to punch in the ball. So for our team the stats show that L Johnson, Cooper, Warmack, Fisher, or Joekel will give us a better chance at getting into the playoffs than Austin.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus45 View Post
    Well, you might try to make it simple but your still not correct. Like I said before, 8 of the top 10 OL in Run Blocking and 7 of the top 10 OL in Pass Blocking made the playoffs last year while only 3 and 4 of the bottom teams respectively did. The trend clearly shows that the better your OL is the better the chance you have of making the playoffs. Of the top 10 WRs with a min of 50 receptions only 5 of their teams made the playoffs. Of the Super Bowl teams SF had Crabtree rated 9th and Baltimore didn't a receiver ranked until Bolden at 29th.

Furthermore 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowl teams ranked in the top 6 of Run Blocking with the only exception being the Giants which were an anomaly in most categories that year anyway. New England has been in the top 10 in Run Blocking since 2007 and top 10 in pass blocking since 2007 except in 08. Interestingly 2008 was our best average OL and the year we made the playoffs.

So what do you take away from that? I take away that stats show that you are more likely to be in the playoffs with a top 10 OL. Stats show me an elite Run Blocking OL gives you a better shot at the Super Bowl. WRs are important but do not have any statistical gauge on your ability to make the playoffs.

Why do I think that is? A top 10 OL lets your playmakers do whats best - make plays. The number 1 playmaker on the field is the QB. They have the most TDs at the end of a season by and individual and the most yards. The OL keeps him up. The top 10 Run Blocking OLs extend plays with 3rd and 1 and goal line stands to punch in the ball. So for our team the stats show that L Johnson, Cooper, Warmack, Fisher, or Joekel will give us a better chance at getting into the playoffs than Austin.
    If you don't have playmakers, who is the offensive line allowing to do what? Two of the last three SB Champions had sub-par run-blocking O-lines. The Steelers and Colts also had sub-par run-blocking O-lines (two recent SB challengers). But all of the teams in question did have great skill players on offense. The Giants/Patriots game is a good example. The Patriots had the better QB and the better O-line. The Giants had the better WR's and the better pass rush. The talent at WR and pass rush allowed the team with the lesser QB to win.

How many of the bottom receiving units made the playoffs?
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We brought in playmakers this year. This isn't Madden where you can bring in everybody you want so we will prob look to bring in more next year. This year we still need Tanne on his feet. You're right, the NYG and GB and sub par run blocking OL but the majority of teams in the playoffs and Super Bowl didn't. I just proved that.

We are not a SB team this year but we could be a playoff team. Fix the OL this year, make the playoffs, and I'll be right with you next year screaming for guys like Austin. Heck, I still wouldn't mind taking a risk on one in later rounds as long as OL is first. Welker, Cruz, Amendola, and Bess were all UDFA. Might get a gem. If not, address next year.

Don't know about bottom receiving units - doesn't have that as a category. My guess is they are with a subpar QB though.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Other. I don't want to trade up for anyone. I want to use our extra picks for get more solid players.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Greetings from Portlandia

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland, OR
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PolitePolite View Post
    Giving up only a 2nd for Milliner is a no brainer.
    "No brainer" as in making a decision without using a brain? I would hesitate to draft Milliner at #12 let alone waste draft picks to move up. Nothing against the guy, but good corners are a dime/doz in this draft and that's what he is: good...he ain't no Revis. I just drafted Amerson in our VIP mock in round 4 and he's as fast as, and bigger than Milliner; they all have some issues. Using a 1st round pick on a CB in this draft is an airhead move and trading up for one is just Ginnsane.

RW
    Make your own rules!

Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus45 View Post
    We brought in playmakers this year. This isn't Madden where you can bring in everybody you want so we will prob look to bring in more next year. This year we still need Tanne on his feet. You're right, the NYG and GB and sub par run blocking OL but the majority of teams in the playoffs and Super Bowl didn't. I just proved that.

We are not a SB team this year but we could be a playoff team. Fix the OL this year, make the playoffs, and I'll be right with you next year screaming for guys like Austin. Heck, I still wouldn't mind taking a risk on one in later rounds as long as OL is first. Welker, Cruz, Amendola, and Bess were all UDFA. Might get a gem. If not, address next year.

Don't know about bottom receiving units - doesn't have that as a category. My guess is they are with a subpar QB though.
    We brought in playmakers? We brought in a playmaker. Put Austin inside of Wallace, and that is a lethal combination. The D stretches because of Wallace, and Austin has the ability to make a D pay for giving that space. None of our current WR's are going to make a D pay for giving Wallace extra attention. You can get an OT in the 2nd or 3rd. If you have the opportunity to give your offense a piece that can take it to the next level, you do it.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, Keller ranked 3rd in DVOA of all TEs showing he provides exceptional upgrade over Fasano- makes plays. Our current WRs will do more than you might think when opened up. I think they'll surprise this year.

I'm just saying the smart move now is protect the franchise qb using stats to back it up. Sure, it's safe but works. Just check this out: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftoffensivetackles.php
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Would you rather have Joe Thomas and some average WR or Wes Welker with turbo boosters and some average OT?
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Pay the man!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennyslvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sign Winston for 3 million, trade down and acquire a third 2nd round pick or a third. Draft BPA.
    Quote Quote