Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tevon Austin and Andrew Hawkins

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Tavon Austin and Andrew Hawkins

I was watch the Dolphins - Bengals game and started thinking about the comparison of Hawkins and Austin. Hawkins is 5'7 180, runs a 4.3 40 and is just as quick and elusive as Austin. Austin might have slightly better hands but the players seem very close. Last year Hawkins finished with 51 receptions for 533 yards with 336 of those yards coming after the catch.

I'm not saying Miami should trade for Hawkins, but if they offered a third round pick I'm sure they could get him. So if Hawkins value is equal to a third round pick, or maybe later, what extra does Austin bring to the table that would make him worth the 12th overall pick.

I'm not knocking everyone who wants Austin, I'm just interested to hear what makes him worth that much more than Hawkins.
    Last edited by gregorygrant83; 04-07-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=gregorygrant83;1064651793]I was watch the Dolphins - Bengals game and started thinking about the comparison of Hawkins and Austin. Hawkins is 5'7 180, runs a 4.3 40 and is just as quick and elusive as Austin. Austin might have slightly better hands but the players seem very close. Last year Hawkins finished with 51 receptions for 533 yards with 336 of those yards coming after the catch.

I'm not saying Miami should trade for Hawkins, but if they offered a third round pick I'm sure they could get him. So if Hawkins value is equal to a third round pick, or maybe later, what extra does Austin bring to the table that would make him worth the 12th overall pick.

Tavon Austin is a freak of nature. He can outrun every other player. He can stop and change direction in a nanosecond. In fact his evasive skills appear unique. Is he too small for the NFL? Yes. Is he high a very high risk draft prospect? Yes, but he also has the skills to inflict considerable damage to other teams. He averaged something like 294 rushing yards per game. He is simply a freak and we have a chance to draft him.
    You can say that Hawkins is equivalent size and speed but he is simply not in Austin's league of skills.
    By the way, I'm increasingly convinced that the performances of Austin and Steadman Bailey have also served to make Geno Smith appear better than he really is.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=spiketex;1064651829]
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorygrant83 View Post
    He averaged something like 294 rushing yards per game.
    You sure about that?
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hawkins was signed from the CFL in 2011 by StL; Cincy signed him off waivers. That's all you have to know when comparing him to a projected top-20 pick.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: Tevon Austin and Andrew Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Twitches Brew View Post
    Hawkins was signed from the CFL in 2011 by StL; Cincy signed him off waivers. That's all you have to know when comparing him to a projected top-20 pick.
    Cam Wake was signed from a CFL team after he couldnt make the giants roster, whats your point?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitches Brew View Post
    You can always compare two players. That's like saying Vernon Gholston is light years ahead of Cam Wake. Again I'm not bashing Austin, just tell me what he does different that makes him worthy of #12 and Hawkins goes undrafted. I'm sure Austin is better, but is the difference that wide? If you put them on the same team, with same quarterback and have them run the same route what does Austin bring that makes him light years better?

What I see is similar on the little crossing patterns and hitch passes. I see Austin as the better down the field target.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=Pat-London;1064651838]
    Quote Originally Posted by spiketex View Post

You sure about that?

that's not even close to correct.

back to the topic, Comparing Tavon to Hawkins is completely ludicrous.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=wallace17;1064651872]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-London View Post

that's not even close to correct.

back to the topic, Comparing Tavon to Hawkins is completely ludicrous.
    Yep
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Austin averaged 11 yards per catch at WVU last year against college opponents, while Hawkins averaged 10.5 on 51 receptions in the NFL. What makes you think Austin's production will go up in the NFL?
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Superbowl MVP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    College Station, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Andrew Hawkins looks like a video game character out there I love his speed and elusiveness. Sure Austin is probably better but I would rather trade a 4th rounder for Hawkins as opposed to getting Austin #12 overall. Austin has seductive speed but you dont draft a WR that high unless he is a true #1 WR.
    God Bless Palestine
    Quote Quote