Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: The Growing Campaign to Revoke Obama's Nobel Peace Prize

1. -91
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the weather/atmosphere/climate debate has devolved into simple partisan politics.

we all know who is who and what they will say even before they say it.
    Quote Quote  

2. -92
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Well in regards to mars, it lost its magnetic field hundreds of millions of years ago. Without its magnetic field it's atmosphere was stripped by ionized particles blasted by the sun. Any existing liquid water was vaporized and if there was any life, it died. If the earth lost its magnetic field the same results would occur
    Quote Quote  

3. -93
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Regarding the basic principles of science? That only requires a high school level of understanding. Actually, thinking back, I believe I first learned about the scientific method in 6th grade. I know dat der science lernin' is shunned in some parts of the country, but luckily it wasn't in mine.
    I'm seeing people claim a high level of understanding while accepting common theories, but not demonstrating any greater than average understanding.

In other words, the attitude that's coming across is, "I agree with what mainstream scientists currently think so I'm smarter than those who don't."

As for not agreeing with "mainstream" beliefs, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Questioning current understanding is how science works. However, if it's a scientist funded by big oil against thousands of other scientists, well, you go ahead and believe who you want; or more accurately, who your party tells you to believe.
    So it's okay to believe what "your party tells you to believe" as long as it's not what scientists funded by oil companies say?

That being said, drop the "mouth-breathing troglodyte" stuff.
    You'll understand that when you watch the video. Everybody, "from Nobel laureates to golf caddies" thought one way because it made sense. The more actions they took in support of those ideas, including killing 40,000 elephants, the worse the problem became. The whole point of the talk is that what they thought was causing the problem, is actually the solution to the problem. Even though it wasn't meant as an insult because in this case, the "mouth breathing troglodytes", such as herdsmen and ranchers, were actually right, I'll do my best to keep the faux insults thinly veiled and passive aggressive from now on.
    ďIím somewhat disappointed that more African Americans donít think for themselves and just go with whatever theyíre supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

4. -94
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irish fin fan View Post
    What were the main stream beliefs 40 years ago regarding global warming? It wasn't even on the radar for science or it was regarded as a crackpot idea.
    Forty years ago mainstream scientists KNEW that we were heading into the next ice age.
    Quote Quote  

5. -95
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Did I say the sun doesn't play any role? Please quote it here. I mean, I wouldn't want to call you a liar without 100% evidence.

Also, I absolutely love the "20 years ago, science..." and "40 years ago, science..." nonsense. You mean we didn't know as much then as we know now? Holy schnikies! Again, where did I ever say science was fact? Actually, I said quite the opposite: That there are no real "facts" in science. That's simply not how science works. This is a VERY basic concept taught in high school science courses, so I don't know how to dumb it down any further than I already have. Do you believe atoms exist? I certainly hope not, since their existence is only theory. No doubt you have the same doubt about gravitational theory as well.

And those servicemen, including a few friends, joined the military to to defend our freedom and our way of life, but they died for oil. No amount of washing and spinning will get the blood off of the hands of those responsible (Bush, etc.).
    That's kind of my point. What we know today will not be the same as what we will know 20-40 years from now. I was attempting to shine some light on the FACT that current science more often than not turns out to be incorrect in time.

I have no doubt burning fossil fuels help to increase the temps worldwide. The issue I have is when ppl imply it is the only, or the main cause. That IMO is very bad science. Mainly because it eliminates the most important factor of science, common sense.

No they died defending our nation and our way of life. Most wars are fought for similar reasons as the 2nd Iraq War. If you want to fool yourself into thinking one side of our politic system holds the exclusive rights to that, more power to you.
    Quote Quote