Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Growing Campaign to Revoke Obama's Nobel Peace Prize

1. -71
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Well, I could have guessed that the minute I saw the (D) after his name. Having respect for him would require the ability for individual thought. And he's done far more than just Habitat for Humanity (which is only one of the many things he's done). You're letting your extreme partisanship cloud your judgement on this one.

As for Gore, he brought awareness to climate change. It's a great thing, no doubt, but I'd agree that it's probably not worth such an award. The scientists at the forefront, on the other hand...
    So you can insult me by calling me closed minded without having the guts to type it? Anyway. Carter's claim to fame outside of being one of our nations worst and most biased President is he built homes after he left the office which was used to justify his Nobel prize. There's no reason to become indignant about the reality of the situation.

I think Carter is an anti-Semite. His words IMO prove this without a doubt. That is why I have almost no respect for him. If a (R) acted as he does and has said the things he has about Jews I'd have just as much respect for the man called Carter. He has a great press agent however, most of the so called media. And yes we all know they aren't LIB leaning.

As far as global warming, it is far from science at this point. You would have to ignore the historical fact that the earth cools and warms because of our sun. It's far from a stable sun, like most from what I understand. I can understand the line of thinking that burning fossil fuels could in fact hurt our environment. However I think the so called scientist have far too much invested for it to be anything but a fact at this point. IMO they are far too heavily financially invested in it for it to be unquestioned science. The e-mail scandal involving the so called global warming scientific community lends credibility to my POV. Please remember it's not like the scientific community has a monopoly on what is fact and the truth. That would imply they never get it wrong.

I won't insult you by implying if you can't see it my way you some how lack the ability to think for yourself. It's obvious you are intelligent, but like 99.9% of us, we all have our biases.
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    So you can insult me by calling me closed minded without having the guts to type it? Anyway. Carter's claim to fame outside of being one of our nations worst and most biased President is he built homes after he left the office which was used to justify his Nobel prize. There's no reason to become indignant about the reality of the situation.

I think Carter is an anti-Semite. His words IMO prove this without a doubt. That is why I have almost no respect for him. If a (R) acted as he does and has said the things he has about Jews I'd have just as much respect for the man called Carter. He has a great press agent however, most of the so called media. And yes we all know they aren't LIB leaning.

As far as global warming, it is far from science at this point. You would have to ignore the historical fact that the earth cools and warms because of our sun. It's far from a stable sun, like most from what I understand. I can understand the line of thinking that burning fossil fuels could in fact hurt our environment. However I think the so called scientist have far too much invested for it to be anything but a fact. They are financially invested in it being science. The e-mail scandal involving the global warming so called scientific community lends credibility to my POV. Please remember it's not like the scientific community has a monopoly on what is fact and the truth. That would imply they never get it wrong.

I won't insult you by implying if you can't see it my way you some how lack the ability to think for yourself. It's obvious you are intelligent, but like 99.9% of us, we all have our biases.
    Pointing out clear, strong biases evidenced by regurgitating the usual talking points ("lib media" etc.) isn't insulting, it's just pointing out a fact. Unless you are ashamed of it, in which case it can be perceived as such. And I'm most certainly not buying into this newfound desire to smear Carter as an anti-Semite, which is only being pushed by the hardcore right-wingers.

As for global warming, it's absolutely science (Serious question: how do you determine what is or isn't science?). There is plenty of evidence supporting it. Now, if you are expecting definitive truth; a truth that is absolute, well, that's simply not how science works. It is kind of funny that you knock scientists for being financially invested in it, but seem to have no problem with oil, coal, etc. being financially invested in debunking it. And I know the hard right latched onto the email conspiracy like white on rice, but that's been debunked as well. http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ng-climategate (I'm guessing Scientific America is part of the LIB media consipracy as well?)

Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, I could have guessed that the minute I saw the (D) after his name. Having respect for him would require the ability for individual thought.
    Is it also hyper-partisan and indicative of "group think" to not respect other past President such as George W Bush?

Why is it hyper-partisan to have little respect the man who is widely regarded as one of the worst Presidents in American history, but not hyper-partisan to respect that person? Yes, Carter has been among the best ex-Presidents, but none of that changes his record as President.
    ďIím somewhat disappointed that more African Americans donít think for themselves and just go with whatever theyíre supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    Is it also hyper-partisan and indicative of "group think" to not respect other past President such as George W Bush?

Why is it hyper-partisan to have little respect the man who is widely regarded as one of the worst Presidents in American history, but not hyper-partisan to respect that person? Yes, Carter has been among the best ex-Presidents, but none of that changes his record as President.
    It has nothing to do with "respecting past Presidents." I think Carter was a godawful President. I also think Bush was a godawful President. I also think Obama is a godawful President. That being said, I absolutely respect Carter for what he's done since leaving office. If Bush left his ranch for a bit and actually did something since leaving office, I could potentially feel the same way about him, though he has a lot more to make up for in my mind as his time in office actually affected me personally, unlike Carter's (never had to wait in the gas lines and he was never responsible for the death of thousands of US soldiers and foreign civilians, etc.). It would have to start with the admission that Iraq was a tremendous mistake and an apology for the unnecessary deaths of thousands, including a few friends. Obama will also have a lot to make up for.
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Pointing out clear, strong biases evidenced by regurgitating the usual talking points ("lib media" etc.) isn't insulting, it's just pointing out a fact.
    Agreed, but all to often someone points out strong biases and regurgitated talking points with their own strong biases and regurgitated talking points.

Have you watched the video James posted in the Science and Technology forum? I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the climiate change implications.
    http://www.finheaven.com/show...climate-change
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    Agreed, but all to often someone points out strong biases and regurgitated talking points with their own strong biases and regurgitated talking points.

Have you watched the video James posted in the Science and Technology forum? I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the climiate change implications.
    http://www.finheaven.com/show...climate-change
    I'll check it out later. In a library without headphones unfortunately (studying science ).
    Quote Quote  

7. -77

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Pointing out clear, strong biases evidenced by regurgitating the usual talking points ("lib media" etc.) isn't insulting, it's just pointing out a fact. Unless you are ashamed of it, in which case it can be perceived as such. And I'm most certainly not buying into this newfound desire to smear Carter as an anti-Semite, which is only being pushed by the hardcore right-wingers.

As for global warming, it's absolutely science (Serious question: how do you determine what is or isn't science?). There is plenty of evidence supporting it. Now, if you are expecting definitive truth; a truth that is absolute, well, that's simply not how science works. It is kind of funny that you knock scientists for being financially invested in it, but seem to have no problem with oil, coal, etc. being financially invested in debunking it. And I know the hard right latched onto the email conspiracy like white on rice, but that's been debunked as well. http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ng-climategate (I'm guessing Scientific America is part of the LIB media consipracy as well?)
    If you are comfortable implying because I don't agree with your POV that implies I am incapable of thinking for myself, it's cool. It's your MBoard, I just post here.

There's nothing new about pointing out Carter's willingness to slam Jews.

Global warming is far from a closed case as far as what is really causing global warming. I can remember in the 70's we were supposed to be in the middle of an ice age right now. That was strong science back then. As I said, to buy into man causing global warming you'd have to forget our planet revolves around the sun and we'd also have to ignore the unbiased data that our planet cools and warms from time to time. IMO it's a huge leap to say with certainty we are currently causing our most recent dip in temperature. But to each their own.

But yes I know, I am incapable of thinking for myself.
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    If you are comfortable implying because I don't agree with your POV that implies I am incapable of thinking for myself, it's cool. It's your MBoard, I just post here.

There's nothing new about pointing out Carter's willingness to slam Jews.

Global warming is far from a closed case as far as what is really causing global warming. I can remember in the 70's we were supposed to be in the middle of an ice age right now. That was strong science back then. As I said, to buy into man causing global warming you'd have to forget our planet revolves around the sun and we'd also have to ignore the unbiased data that our planet cools and warms from time to time. IMO it's a huge leap to say with certainty we are currently causing our most recent dip in temperature. But to each their own.

But yes I know, I am incapable of thinking for myself.
    Hey, maybe it's just a coincidence that your individually thought out views fall absolutely lockstep in line with the stereotypical hard-right winger views? That could be the case, I suppose.

As for the bolded, that's where those who bash science are consistently wrong. There is no such thing as a "closed case" in science. Ever. That can't be stressed enough. Sure, there are the hardcore "scientific" dumbasses that get into fights with religious zealot dumbasses that tarnish true science (just like the religious zealots do to the common religious person) who forget that, but they are a very vocal minority (in both cases). However, there is more than enough evidence to support that human-influenced climate change in addition to the natural shifts in climate (which is what you are referring to) is a reality, certainly enough to reexamine how we act. If you are expecting absolutes in science, you simply don't understand science.
    Quote Quote  

9. -79

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hey, maybe it's just a coincidence that your individually thought out views fall absolutely lockstep in line with the stereotypical hard-right winger views? That could be the case, I suppose.

As for the bolded, that's where those who bash science are consistently wrong. There is no such thing as a "closed case" in science. Ever. That can't be stressed enough. Sure, there are the hardcore "scientific" dumbasses that get into fights with religious zealot dumbasses that tarnish true science (just like the religious zealots do to the common religious person) who forget that, but they are a very vocal minority (in both cases). However, there is more than enough evidence to support that human-influenced climate change in addition to the natural shifts in climate (which is what you are referring to) is a reality, certainly enough to reexamine how we act. If you are expecting absolutes in science, you simply don't understand science.
    Thx, and no there is not more than enough evidence to 100% prove that the sun is not playing a larger role in why, currently our planet is going through a warm phase. There isn't enough evidence to even make a 50% case IMO. The last I heard the sun is going through a warming phase the last 10-15 years. To simply ignore that seems a bit irrational to me. FYI I'm all for going GREEN. No problem here. The issue I have is thinking we can get to GREEN the next day. We live in a world where oil is king, the entire worlds economy is based on oil. It's going to take some time to get where we all want to be. I'd just like to see both sides approach it from that POV.

And my POV concerning Carter has nothing to do with right or left wing. It has everything to do with it being self evident. He can't take away his actions and words. It is what it is. I understand why some on the left refuse to admit what he is. They obviously feel that would weaken their POV when it comes to the Jewish Palestinian conflict.
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Quote