Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dick Cheney on North Korea: ‘We’re in deep doo doo’

1. -11
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    The dude made millions of dollars from Halliburton contracts directly attributable to the Iraq War. That conflict, which he had a direct role in, greatly benefitted his bank account. You think that is merely a happy coincidence?
    Were you as offended when Clinton used them during and after Kosovo? I believe Bush #1 used them during the Gulf War as well. Obama uses them as well. I would venture to guess 20-years from now whether the President is a DEM or a REP they will use Halliburton if we are in a similar situation.

My point is they are the largest and best at what they do. You trying to connect the two in some conspiracy is nothing more than that. Your logic would leave us with a VP or President that has never had any personal ties with companies like Halliburton. Not a very realistic option, IMO.

I mean ppl like the Clinton's use to always rage against companies like Wal-Mart. It didn't stop them from sitting on their board after they left office.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dick Cheney on North Korea: ‘We’re in deep doo doo’

Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    Were you as offended when Clinton used them during and after Kosovo? I believe Bush #1 used them during the Gulf War as well. Obama uses them as well. I would venture to guess 20-years from now whether the President is a DEM or a REP they will use Halliburton if we are in a similar situation.

My point is they are the largest and best at what they do. You trying to connect the two in some conspiracy is nothing more than that. Your logic would leave us with a VP or President that has never had any personal ties with companies like Halliburton. Not a very realistic option, IMO.

I mean ppl like the Clinton's use to always rage against companies like Wal-Mart. It didn't stop them from sitting on their board after they left office.
    Was Clinton the former CEO of the company?? Was a he major stockholder of the company?

If not, the two situations aren't even comparable.

If I had it my way, elected officials would need to have prove that they have divested from any potential conflicts of interest, although I would prefer that they not have these conflicts of interest in the first place.

I know this is all unrealistic since Washington is all just one giant orgy of people paying each other off for favorable treatment and kickbacks.

Just so you know I am not coming from a partisan position, I think it's pathetic that Obama puts a former prominent Monsanto lobbyists in charge of the FDA. This is the kind of thing ALL US citizens should stand up against, but hardly ever do.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

Was Clinton the former CEO of the company?? Was a he major stockholder of the company?

If not, the two situations aren't even comparable.

If I had it my way, elected officials would need to have prove that they have divested from any potential conflicts of interest, although I would prefer that they not have these conflicts of interest in the first place.

I know this is all unrealistic since Washington is all just one giant orgy of people paying each other off for favorable treatment and kickbacks.

Just so you know I am not coming from a partisan position, I think it's pathetic that Obama puts a former prominent Monsanto lobbyists in charge of the FDA. This is the kind of thing ALL US citizens should stand up against, but hardly ever do.
    The point I'm making is Halliburton is the largest company for situations like this. Yes it does look bad for Cheney. However it is not an uncommon situation. That is why in my previous post I brought up the names of the Clinton's.

I'll put it to you this way, if Cheney was a CEO of a smaller company similar to Halliburton, and he was to have used that smaller company then I can see your point.

I don't think the Monsanto thing is a big deal. I just think it makes Obama look like a hypocrite. He's supposed to be this figure in politics that is supposed to bring hope and change. To me it just proves all of them end up being hypocrites.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I just want to know if he wore his top hat, monicle, and had his long cigarette holder to captial hill. Did he interupt each meetting with random quacks and babbles about "getting the batman"?
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

6. -16

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I just want to know if he wore his top hat, monicle, and had his long cigarette holder to captial hill. Did he interupt each meetting with random quacks and babbles about "getting the batman"?
    He used his walking cane like a judges gavel.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

The point I'm making is Halliburton is the largest company for situations like this. Yes it does look bad for Cheney. However it is not an uncommon situation. That is why in my previous post I brought up the names of the Clinton's.

I'll put it to you this way, if Cheney was a CEO of a smaller company similar to Halliburton, and he was to have used that smaller company then I can see your point.

I don't think the Monsanto thing is a big deal. I just think it makes Obama look like a hypocrite. He's supposed to be this figure in politics that is supposed to bring hope and change. To me it just proves all of them end up being hypocrites.
    I'm sorry, but there is no way that a person who holds significant stock in a company that profits from war should ever be in a position to influence military policy. It is a clear conflict of interest, and if you don't see how that could impact such a person's decision- making, I don't know what to say.

And the Monsanto thing is a huge deal for the very same reason. Obama put a guy in charge of the FDA, an arm of the government that is meant to ensure that the food we eat is safe to consume, who has ties to Monsanto, a company that profits from agricultural products that may possibly be a threat to public health. This person is now in a position to influence policy that can benefit Monsanto, and harm the health of the public. You don't see that as a problem?
    Quote Quote  

8. -18

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

I'm sorry, but there is no way that a person who holds significant stock in a company that profits from war should ever be in a position to influence military policy. It is a clear conflict of interest, and if you don't see how that could impact such a person's decision- making, I don't know what to say.

And the Monsanto thing is a huge deal for the very same reason. Obama put a guy in charge of the FDA, an arm of the government that is meant to ensure that the food we eat is safe to consume, who has ties to Monsanto, a company that profits from agricultural products that may possibly be a threat to public health. This person is now in a position to influence policy that can benefit Monsanto, and harm the health of the public. You don't see that as a problem?
    No the fact is it is not a conflict, to the main point it is not illegal.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

No the fact is it is not a conflict, to the main point it is not illegal.
    Hmmm I wonder why it isn't illegal... Oh, that's right... Who writes our laws again ?? Ya...
    Quote Quote  

10. -20

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

Hmmm I wonder why it isn't illegal... Oh, that's right... Who writes our laws again ?? Ya...
    We the people do. If we had a real issue with it we would change the law by voting in the people that would change those laws.

I'm not saying it doesn't look bad, don't get me wrong. And maybe this is an indictment of our system of government. But both sides have this issue they all look like hypocrites when it comes to situations like this.
    Quote Quote