Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Case For Austin I've Read. lol

1. -11
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Playstation Logo
Gift received at 03-18-2014, 10:36 PM from DisturbedShifty
Message: I saw the PS controller so I figured you'd like the PS logo as well.1972 Dolphins LogoPS4 ControllerMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91

Re: Best Case For Austin I've Read. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    if Jeff Ireland comes to Steve Ross' office saying his plan is to draft Jon Cooper or Chance Warmack, I think Ross will veto that ON THE SPOT.
    Ross would never do that and you know it.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    man ross is a damn billionaire. he could easily foot the bill for the stadium upgrades. so we only draft austin cause it helps in the stadium upgrade vote? man you have to be kidding me. i would love to draft austin cause he adds a speed element to this offense thats been missing since the 80"s. i guess if we trade up for an ot that stadium vote is gonna fail miserably..... ridiculous!
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let's be honest....the Phin's offense has been flat out boring since Marino retired. Like watching paint dry. Other than Ricky Williams having a couple big seasons and seeing Ronnie Brown in the Wildcat, there has been little to get excited about. I think we have averaged around 16-18 points a game the past decade while the Patriots have averaged probably double that. We have to get playmakers to put points on the board and be able to compete with the top teams. Tavon Austin would also put fans in the seats, along with Mike Wallace. I say lets roll the dice.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If anything, in forthcoming years the rules will be slanted even more in favor of guys like Austin, and the passing game in general.

I suspect the referendum will pass, even if we draft a towel boy in the first round. A specialized election like that is decided by which side has the passion and money. That will be the supporters. The Dolphins no doubt will launch a media blitz in the final weeks, one that will be largely unopposed. It's a completely different situational landscape than a referendum thrown into a high turnout general election, in which case it would have no chance.

This is like Ned Lamont defeating Joe Lieberman in the primary then being thumped by Lieberman in November, when everyone had a say.

However, ck's point is good in that the Dolphins may handicap the situation as if they need a boost coming out of the draft. What's the joke about the gorilla who hit a driver to within 5 feet on a par 5? His second shot was another driver, traveling 500 yards. This Dolphin brass is capable of being so petrified they'll overplay anything.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    Ross would never do that and you know it.
    Bull sh-t he wouldn't.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    wales and will die a proud dragon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd be devastated with Austin
    Re-sign
    Bryant Mckinnie OT
    Tyson Clabo OT
    John Jerry OG
    Randy Starks DT
    Noland Carroll CB
    Brent Grimes CB
    Chris Clemons FS

Sign
    Knowshon Moreno RB
    John Kuhn FB
    Donald Penn OT
    Shelley Smith OG
    Louis Delmas S

Draft
    1 - CJ Mosley ILB
    2 - Cyrus Kouandijio OT
    3 - Jarvis Landry WR
    4 - Antonio Richardson OT
    5 - Antone Exum CB
    6 - Brandon Linder OG
    7 - Marion Grice RB
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    If anything, in forthcoming years the rules will be slanted even more in favor of guys like Austin, and the passing game in general.

I suspect the referendum will pass, even if we draft a towel boy in the first round. A specialized election like that is decided by which side has the passion and money. That will be the supporters. The Dolphins no doubt will launch a media blitz in the final weeks, one that will be largely unopposed. It's a completely different situational landscape than a referendum thrown into a high turnout general election, in which case it would have no chance.

This is like Ned Lamont defeating Joe Lieberman in the primary then being thumped by Lieberman in November, when everyone had a say.

However, ck's point is good in that the Dolphins may handicap the situation as if they need a boost coming out of the draft. What's the joke about the gorilla who hit a driver to within 5 feet on a par 5? His second shot was another driver, traveling 500 yards. This Dolphin brass is capable of being so petrified they'll overplay anything.
    The point about low turnout, about the media blitz that will need to take place in the couple of weeks before the referendum (i.e. immediately after the draft) is exactly why if I were them I would indeed seriously consider manipulating draft strategy to get this done. You need to have fuel for this blitz, and the Mike Wallace signing is already stale.

And like I said, the strategy may not have anything to do with a Tavon Austin. It may be as simple as vetoing draft picks at 12 that are almost certain to drive the fanbase into the spitting mad frenzy that they've been at various points in the last 5 years. I mean jesus, if they come out and announce a pick as unpopular as Ted Ginn, complete with embarrassing YouTube videos of the "boos" during the announcement...that's the kind of thing that can feed back on itself in the media loop.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Actually the BEST case for Tavon Austin is the simple fact that the fanbase would be giddy about picking him.

There's a briefcase on the table in front of you that contains $200 million. A mere two weeks after the draft, whether you get that $200 million will be decided by a simple popularity contest. You've got plenty of "fans" out there. You could win. All you need to ensure that is get them to SHOW UP.

What do you do?
    It really is that simple...

...i will say, tho, Tyler Eifert would have a similar effect to the fans that have actually watched him play.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    SUPERFAN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Homestead, FL.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Personally I would be against the Owner having any say in Personnel Decisions but if Ross was the reason we drafted Tanny and is the reason we draft Austin, then I hope he gets involved.
    Chubbs
    FINS OR DIE!!!!!!

Want-Goodell to be Impeached.
    Follow me on on Twitter www.twitter.com/FinFanChubby

In psychology, Stockholm Syndrome is an apparently paradoxical psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. "[6]
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The point about low turnout, about the media blitz that will need to take place in the couple of weeks before the referendum (i.e. immediately after the draft) is exactly why if I were them I would indeed seriously consider manipulating draft strategy to get this done. You need to have fuel for this blitz, and the Mike Wallace signing is already stale.

And like I said, the strategy may not have anything to do with a Tavon Austin. It may be as simple as vetoing draft picks at 12 that are almost certain to drive the fanbase into the spitting mad frenzy that they've been at various points in the last 5 years. I mean jesus, if they come out and announce a pick as unpopular as Ted Ginn, complete with embarrassing YouTube videos of the "boos" during the announcement...that's the kind of thing that can feed back on itself in the media loop.
    There is MUCH merit to what you say CK. It's about mobilizing the fan base, and countering the mobilization that the Billy Corben's and Norman Braman's will pay to ensure.

I love Jonathan Cooper. I love Sheldon Richardson. But now is not the time for those kind've picks, not with so much riding on popular sentiment..
    Quote Quote