Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Eifert missing from the NFL Draft room?

1. -11
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I remember back when the top 5 or so players actually went....now they try to get the 1st and 2nd round picks there.
    “Pro football is like nuclear warfare. There are no winners, only survivors.”
    --Frank Gifford
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The NFL used to only invite something like 8 to 10 players who were viewed to be high picks. Now they basically invite a ton. Ever since the Aaron Rodgers fiasco in 2005 and subsequent Brady Quinn fiasco in 2007, they've started to try and move away from this idea that they only have the very best players attending the draft itself. They've got 23 players and a number of others (e.g. Star Lotulelei, Tyler Eifert and Matt Barkley) turned them down. They have guys in there that are definitely not going Day 1 (first round). They've broadened out the list of invitees because to them, the more the merrier. They get all the guys into their new team gear, they conduct interviews with them at Radio City, they take them around back and have them greet fans and sign autographs, it's a whole big schindig.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    my crystal ball says last guy on the invite list to hear his name called is ej manuel...unless someone really reaches...

along with menelik watson and eric reid...welcome to day 2 fellas
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think E.J. Manuel is not that surprising as an inclusion. He's a guy that is example 1A of a player that a team picking in the high 2nd round might trade up for into the bottom of the 1st round just so that they can a 5th year on his contract. I know the Baltimore Ravens loved him but they did manage to get things done with Joe Flacco so that's probably off the board now. I think the Jacksonville Jaguars will trade up from their pick in the 2nd round into the very bottom of the 1st round so that they can get that 5th year on his contract.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    fair point about the 5th year on the contract with a qb...manuel should be there into day 2 but i guess we'll see...i think he's definitely one of the possibilities but teams always reach for qbs...

probably more menelik watson and eric reid...
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I guess I should say the Jags MAY trade up to get Manuel in the 1st. There are several teams that may do it. The Jaguars, Eagles, Cardinals, Jets and Bills could all be in the business of trying to trade up to get Matt Barkley (who was invited to attend but turned the NFL down), E.J. Manuel and perhaps Ryan Nasisb.

For me I've only got three quarterbacks in this class that I really like relative to the expected price tag. They are Matt Barkley, E.J. Manuel and Peter Lalich. The other guys I could take or leave and that includes Geno Smith. I think Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib and Tyler Wilson are decent prospects but not great ones. The other guys I don't really like at all. Landry Jones is so hated right now, not without good reason, that if he got to a certain point in Day 3 I would consider it...but not necessarily before Lalich.

I wish I'd gotten a chance to check out this Ryan Griffin guy that people are talking a lot about right now. I just never got a chance to dig deep into him.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i saw lalich at uva as a true freshman start a few games and i immediately said to myself this is the next pro qb after schaub...you could just see the kid had a pro future to him if he could have stayed out of trouble at uva...probably most talented qb we've had in a while...schaub included...

i do know that he blamed everyone but himself for his problems while at uva and i'm also pretty confident his problems were of his own doing...small sample on the field but it looked to me like he knew how to read a defense and get the ball out of his hand pretty well and make some solid decisions...

anyways...i haven't studied the qbs this year like in the past cause we don't need one and i don't think i'd take any of em anymore over tannehill off what he showed as a rookie but for what i have seen the only guys that really interest me in the early rounds are barkley and wilson...and you know i might get down with ryan nassib also...maybe...i did not like his handling of the pocket and pressure in the senior bowl game...
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Peter Lalich was pretty immature by all accounts at UVA. You're right he blamed everyone around him but himself. Quite frankly though, he did have some cause to blame the people around him. The guy was caught with some beer at what like 19 years old or something like that? That turns into a big mess somehow. It shouldn't have been. The thing with the probation officer is hazy but the facts are what they are. He was called into court because of some kind of misunderstanding with the probation officer, the judge accepted Lalich's side of the story and maintained his probation with no legal consequence. That day, UVA dismissed him. And it was absolutely part of the feud the admins had going with Al Groh whom they wanted out. Groh vouched for the kid to all his friends in coaching, including Mike Riley who took him on. So at that point if you want to tell me that Lalich was just a TEENSY bit of a victim of circumstances, yeah I think I could buy that. College kid drinks a beer and gets kicked out for it. Umm, what?

The important part to me is that NOW Lalich doesn't blame anyone but himself, as per interviews he's conducted, as per interviews his coach at Cal PA has given. His Cal PA coach even went so far as to say I've got a daughter here at school that is a freshman and I would trust him with her, even. He made mistakes but they were alcohol related and an alcohol treatment program gave him a long evaluation and a glowing report.

Bottom line, this is a huge guy with a great arm and great accuracy that moves around well and has been noted at every level by every coach that's come into contact with him for being a football concept savant.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i know some people up that way who said lalich smoked a lot of pot also at uva...and evidently he had multiple run ins kept on the hush hush before they decided to part ways...uva did make a marter of him though once they decided to move on...that's one thing about uva...they don't mind throwing you under the bus

i'll never understand why guys who want to get to the pros go there anyways...not unless they plan on hitting the books hot and heavy...uva doesn't care they will kick you off the team in a heartbeat

you want to go somewhere and get away with stuff...go to va tech...the gobbler turns his head the other way to all kinds of things...
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Watson will end up going in the 1st. There will be a run on OT's.
    Quote Quote