Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IRS: We can read emails without warrant

1. -21
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    People are still talking about a flat tax? It seemed like that had been laughed away long ago.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    I think the most fair tax solution is for everyone to pay the same exact amount. Lets say $20k. Thats as fair as fair gets. Everyones paying the same thing.

Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    People are still talking about a flat tax? It seemed like that had been laughed away long ago.
    Can you elaborate on why that is?
    Last edited by GoFins!; 04-16-2013 at 03:01 AM.
    Im somewhat disappointed that more African Americans dont think for themselves and just go with whatever theyre supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I think the most fair tax solution is for everyone to pay the same exact amount. Lets say $20k. Thats as fair as fair gets. Everyones paying the same thing.
    I realize you're joking but that's what the NFL Player's Association does. The minimum salary guys pay the same amount as the highest paid players. It might make sense if the payout is the same for all players.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    It definitely would not solve our financial problems. A 20% flat rate would increase the tax rate of the lower income and poor people and would decrease the tax rate of the top 20%. To add to that a flat tax rate would not prevent tax shelters offshore. All you do with the flat rate is put the burden on the bottom 30% of the people. A progressive tax based on income is an absolute must along with closing all loopholes and make off shore tax shelters not just a gentleman's "oops. I am sorry."
    I disagree. As long as there are loopholes those with money will always be in a position to work the system. Putting a 20% tax at the register raises what everyone will pay and eliminates tax loopholes. Using Monaco as an example, was in financial straits until Ranier introduced a 20% tax resulting in a very rich nation.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    What is more fair then eliminating loopholes that the wealthy continually slip through Wayward?
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    All I know is my dad busted his ass to build his business. Opened the doors up with another guy in 1979 and now that he is 63 and the business went from being a 2 man operation to employing 10 to 20 people regularly the IRS says they want 48% when he sells out. 48%, let that sink in. My dad isn't getting rich, if he's lucky he is upper middle class but he has paid cash his whole way through life, he doesn't owe more than 10K to the man and most of that was my sisters wedding last summer.

Why should a guy who spent his life building and employing local business pay 48% in capital gains when he sells? Well to Dog's point the answer is he probably won't due to loopholes. By breaking down the LLC into sub companies and leasing to each other the IRS views it differnetly and the taxes are much much less. Of course that took a tax lawyer who normally works for comapanies like Burger King, Staples etc...to come break it up for him.

But why is it even like that in the first place? Why is a company worth less than most CEO's income taxed at such an unfair rate when the owner sells? The tax system is all ****ed up it needs to be gutted and redone, that's the only way to make it fair to all involved.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

7. -27
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    All I know is my dad busted his ass to build his business. Opened the doors up with another guy in 1979 and now that he is 63 and the business went from being a 2 man operation to employing 10 to 20 people regularly the IRS says they want 48% when he sells out. 48%, let that sink in. My dad isn't getting rich, if he's lucky he is upper middle class but he has paid cash his whole way through life, he doesn't owe more than 10K to the man and most of that was my sisters wedding last summer.

Why should a guy who spent his life building and employing local business pay 48% in capital gains when he sells? Well to Dog's point the answer is he probably won't due to loopholes. By breaking down the LLC into sub companies and leasing to each other the IRS views it differnetly and the taxes are much much less. Of course that took a tax lawyer who normally works for comapanies like Burger King, Staples etc...to come break it up for him.

But why is it even like that in the first place? Why is a company worth less than most CEO's income taxed at such an unfair rate when the owner sells? The tax system is all ****ed up it needs to be gutted and redone, that's the only way to make it fair to all involved.
    Because it is a consistent source of revenue. Your father has his business and our FED GOV has its business.

It's disgusting and far too many ppl think it's OK to steal other ppl's money. It's the world we live in, odds are it's going to get worse and worse.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    It's disgusting and far too many ppl think it's OK to steal other ppl's money. It's the world we live in, odds are it's going to get worse and worse.
    Everyone should choose their own tax rate by answering this question: What percentage of their income should the wealthiest people in America pay in income taxes?

Whatever your answer, THAT should be your tax rate for the rest of your life.

This exercise might help many people understand one difference between liberals and conservatives.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    Everyone should choose their own tax rate by answering this question: What percentage of their income should the wealthiest people in America pay in income taxes?

Whatever your answer, THAT should be your tax rate for the rest of your life.

This exercise might help many people understand one difference between liberals and conservatives.
    I don't have a real issue with tax brackets and etc my issue is more with the so called death tax. Often it seems the GOV is asking for too much. Often the ppl that could continue to offer the community a viable business for their community have to sell it off just to pay off the death tax. That seems to be backwards to me. The GOV should want successful businesses to continue to be successful so they in turn can continue to collect taxes from that company.

A flat tax IMO would solve so many of our issues. Things like illegal immigration and their pull on our school and health care system could be addressed in a real way. People trying to launder money could be covered with a flat tax as well. The problem is, it makes too much sense, so obviously it will never happen.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't have a real issue with tax brackets and etc my issue is more with the so called death tax.
    Agreed, and again, those who can afford smart estate lawyers don't pay it. Rich people, even upper-middle income people, create partnerships and begin doling out their estates years before they pass. While they die wealthy, legally they own very little as it has already been passed on to their heirs.

A flat tax IMO would solve so many of our issues.
    I only remember hearing one really sound argument against the flat tax, and I only heard it one time years ago.
    Quote Quote