Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: You HAVE to pick at 12...who is it gonna be?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • OG Jonathan Cooper

16 21.92%
  • TE Tyler Eifert

41 56.16%
  • DE Barkevious Mingo

7 9.59%
  • DT Sheldon Richardson

7 9.59%
  • CB Desmond Trufant

2 2.74%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who would you pick at 12 in this scenario...

1. -21
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    I go Jonathan cooper then Eifert.

We dont need an OLB in Mingo. We dont really need a DE or CB at 12. DT either. just find another guy later for all these positions. deep.

There are only a few TE's and 32 teams picking. There are only a couple good scheme fitting G's.

Philbin wants to revamp his oline. Because he understands football. not fantasy.
    Love it when people speak for him. Let me try: Philbin wants to revamp the skill positions. Because he understands modern football and the need to score points at will. not impotent offense-building via the trenches.

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let's face it, the NFL is an offense-first league now. Even the two "defensive teams" that met in the Super Bowl had a shootout. What was the lowest winning points total for playoffs games, something like 26? It was a crazy year, but the trends and rules all point to high scoring to win. How can we pass up the draft's best red zone threat on a team that has zero red zone threats and is claiming to be building around it's 2nd year franchise QB?

Tyler Eifert. Size, speed, length, lift, seam threat, best red zone threat, best fade catching TE in the draft, best catcher in traffic in the draft, developing into a decent blocker, hard worker, intelligent, team oriented, good citizen, durable, fills a need, 3 down player, doesn't telegraph run/pass, adjusts to the ball well, lowest chance of turnover guy ... what's not to like?

Mingo has elite physical ability. Only maybe Cordarrelle Patterson has that kind of physical ability. But I don't sign up for low production guys with high end tools when high production guys with near-high end tools are sitting there to fill a need. Mingo is an OLB, and I see no scenario where he'll be a good 43 DE, so is he really worth #12 in our system? He can't hold the point of attack and set the edge. He is great at containing the read option, pursuing, and flying to the QB when unblocked, but he's a projection at this point, and a big one for us. Guys with that kind of quick first step and closing speed and overall athleticism should be naturally dominating collegiate competition, but he didn't. He's speed only, and like Jonathan Martin, would be strength-deficient in the trenches. I'm going to love to watch him develop as a 34 WOLB, but I'll be shocked if it's with the Dolphins.

There was a G for the Vikings, now retired, who I thought was worth picking very high, but I don't see Cooper or Warmack nearly that good, nor deserving of that pick. Given Ireland's reticence to invest heavily into elite money at OL, I'm simply not advocating drafting an elite guard. Philbin's system doesn't depend on the OL, it depends on the QB, WR's and TE, so that's where we need to acquire elite talent.

Richardson ... please no. This guy is a risk. Look at the top 15 busts over the last 10 years .... there are a LOT of physically talented DT's in that list. Given the depth of this draft, if you want a DT, grab him in the back half of the 1st, not at #12. When it's all said and done, Floyd, Richardson, Lotulelei, Williams, Hankins and 3 or 4 other good DT's are in this draft. I'm not spending #12 on a guy who I am unsure about his head and his work ethic.

Trufant ... you've gotta be joking. I like the guy, but there are no elite CB's in this draft. Milliner, Rhodes, Hayden and the Biose State kid whose name escapes me at the moment are all in the mix rating-wise. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan Poyer or David Amerson became pro-bowlers in the right system, and they produce turnovers. None of these CB's merit top 20 picks on talent IMHO. There are no Stephon Gilmore's in this draft.
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Let's face it, the NFL is an offense-first league now. Even the two "defensive teams" that met in the Super Bowl had a shootout. What was the lowest winning points total for playoffs games, something like 26? It was a crazy year, but the trends and rules all point to high scoring to win. How can we pass up the draft's best red zone threat on a team that has zero red zone threats and is claiming to be building around it's 2nd year franchise QB?

Tyler Eifert. Size, speed, length, lift, seam threat, best red zone threat, best fade catching TE in the draft, best catcher in traffic in the draft, developing into a decent blocker, hard worker, intelligent, team oriented, good citizen, durable, fills a need, 3 down player, doesn't telegraph run/pass, adjusts to the ball well, lowest chance of turnover guy ... what's not to like?

Mingo has elite physical ability. Only maybe Cordarrelle Patterson has that kind of physical ability. But I don't sign up for low production guys with high end tools when high production guys with near-high end tools are sitting there to fill a need. Mingo is an OLB, and I see no scenario where he'll be a good 43 DE, so is he really worth #12 in our system? He can't hold the point of attack and set the edge. He is great at containing the read option, pursuing, and flying to the QB when unblocked, but he's a projection at this point, and a big one for us. Guys with that kind of quick first step and closing speed and overall athleticism should be naturally dominating collegiate competition, but he didn't. He's speed only, and like Jonathan Martin, would be strength-deficient in the trenches. I'm going to love to watch him develop as a 34 WOLB, but I'll be shocked if it's with the Dolphins.

There was a G for the Vikings, now retired, who I thought was worth picking very high, but I don't see Cooper or Warmack nearly that good, nor deserving of that pick. Given Ireland's reticence to invest heavily into elite money at OL, I'm simply not advocating drafting an elite guard. Philbin's system doesn't depend on the OL, it depends on the QB, WR's and TE, so that's where we need to acquire elite talent.

Richardson ... please no. This guy is a risk. Look at the top 15 busts over the last 10 years .... there are a LOT of physically talented DT's in that list. Given the depth of this draft, if you want a DT, grab him in the back half of the 1st, not at #12. When it's all said and done, Floyd, Richardson, Lotulelei, Williams, Hankins and 3 or 4 other good DT's are in this draft. I'm not spending #12 on a guy who I am unsure about his head and his work ethic.

Trufant ... you've gotta be joking. I like the guy, but there are no elite CB's in this draft. Milliner, Rhodes, Hayden and the Biose State kid whose name escapes me at the moment are all in the mix rating-wise. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan Poyer or David Amerson became pro-bowlers in the right system, and they produce turnovers. None of these CB's merit top 20 picks on talent IMHO. There are no Stephon Gilmore's in this draft.

I agree, good post.
    1972 Miami Dolphins - "Perfection"
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As much as I like Trufant, if Eifert is available, you can not pass on him.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post

I think Milliner, Rhodes, and Trufant are all a good deal better than Gilmore.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    None of above choices. Pick rhodes if he is at 12.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Eifert if those are the players there.
    Quote Quote