Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 247

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

  1. -171
    ohall's Avatar
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2002
    Posts:
    26,868
    vCash:
    6453
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Because he feeds on paranoia and people willing to accept anything than isn't the official explanation (no matter how ridiculous). Whether it's Glenn Beck specifically or someone else, it's buying into that kind of conspiratorial paranoia that you have to watch out for.

    The world can be a scary place but you shouldn't live your life as if it is. As the quote I posted wisely points out, some people get off on that fear. It excites them to think of their lives as a battleground. And then some people are duped into being actually afraid. Either way lies madness.
    What does that have to do with anything I've typed on this subject?

    I'm not afraid what took place in Boston is going to happen in my town tomorrow. I know it may, but in no way do I think America is going to become the new Israel. Nor am I asking to round up anyone that shares any racial or religious similarities with these TWO nut jobs. However am I don't think we should ignore any similarities either. That would be asinine IMO.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -172
    flynryan15's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    12,268
    vCash:
    4581
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    Flyn, I support the military too... My grandfather was in the Air Force in WWII. I revere that generation because they fought valiantly in the face of unspeakable terror. World War... something not many of us today have ever experienced, and hopefully never will.

    But this isn't an issue of supporting the servicemen, its an issue of policy. I don't see how asking for a reasonable defense budget is somehow dishonoring the service of those in the military. If anything, its respecting them, so that they don't die needlessly, or for a cause that is motivated more by fear and profits, than the protection of our liberties.

    The major defense and security initiatives following 9/11 did a lot to erode our liberties that you say you support the military to protect. In addition, our presence in other lands has also affected the lives of innocents abroad, and reduced our moral standing in the world...

    Terrorism is awful. But by reacting the way we often do to it, with full fury and vengeance, leading to actions without full thought to their consequences, the terrorists accomplish their goal...

    Because cutting defense budgets doesn't work and it has been proven time and time again. Look at WWII and your grandfather we had to sit on the sideline and build weapons before we could get in the fight. Cut budget spend more to catch up it is literally wash rinse repeat!

    The War on Terror is a World War they attack many nations just because Al Queda doesn't have a country or flag doesn't mean they are not a enemy. There is no rehabilitating them hell they would cut your head off if you tried! If you respect the veterans as you claim try reading their books instead of surfing random websites try Lone Survivor, American Sniper, Operation Jawbreaker, No Easy Day and many others all first hand accounts of this enemy how they think, how they operate and what they are capable of.
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

    Quote Quote  

  3. -173
    SkapePhin's Avatar
    Brady Slayer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    19,219
    vCash:
    21703
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flynryan15 View Post
    Because cutting defense budgets doesn't work and it has been proven time and time again. Look at WWII and your grandfather we had to sit on the sideline and build weapons before we could get in the fight. Cut budget spend more to catch up it is literally wash rinse repeat!

    The War on Terror is a World War they attack many nations just because Al Queda doesn't have a country or flag doesn't mean they are not a enemy. There is no rehabilitating them hell they would cut your head off if you tried! If you respect the veterans as you claim try reading their books instead of surfing random websites try Lone Survivor, American Sniper, Operation Jawbreaker, No Easy Day and many others all first hand accounts of this enemy how they think, how they operate and what they are capable of.
    The War on Terror is an ENDLESS WAR... Its like the War on Drugs. So how long do you propose spending absurd levels of money and resources to combat it? There won't be an America left to protect if it belongs to the Chinese...

    Comparing the War on Terror to WWII is absurd. They aren't even remotely similar situations.

    Our current defense spending (during a time of relative peace) is outrageous, and it is mostly due to freaking defense contractors in DC pushing the fear card around every corner getting the GOV to spend ridiculous money on things they don't even need.

    The US is treading dangerously close to Ancient Rome territory. Spreading itself too thin to sustain itself.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -174
    ohall's Avatar
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2002
    Posts:
    26,868
    vCash:
    6453
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Explosions at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    The War on Terror is an ENDLESS WAR... Its like the War on Drugs. So how long do you propose spending absurd levels of money and resources to combat it? There won't be an America left to protect if it belongs to the Chinese...

    Comparing the War on Terror to WWII is absurd. They aren't even remotely similar situations.

    Our current defense spending (during a time of relative peace) is outrageous, and it is mostly due to freaking defense contractors in DC pushing the fear card around every corner getting the GOV to spend ridiculous money on things they don't even need.

    The US is treading dangerously close to Ancient Rome territory. Spreading itself too thin to sustain itself.
    Rome had to invade and take over countries to receive booty to keep their economy going. America is not doing that, the last thing we want to do is stay in any country.

    I agree the war on terror is a endless war. That is why we cannot shrink our military to the size recommend we should. If we do that we will just invite more attacks in our country.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -175
    flynryan15's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    12,268
    vCash:
    4581
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    The War on Terror is an ENDLESS WAR... Its like the War on Drugs. So how long do you propose spending absurd levels of money and resources to combat it? There won't be an America left to protect if it belongs to the Chinese...

    Comparing the War on Terror to WWII is absurd. They aren't even remotely similar situations.

    Our current defense spending (during a time of relative peace) is outrageous, and it is mostly due to freaking defense contractors in DC pushing the fear card around every corner getting the GOV to spend ridiculous money on things they don't even need.

    The US is treading dangerously close to Ancient Rome territory. Spreading itself too thin to sustain itself.
    I said it is a World War meaning Al Queda has attacked countries across the globe and it is a World problem. We are not spread to thin we have not even scratched the surface of our true military might. As far as winning the Wat On Terror I don't think winning is the proper term it will be a forever process of actively hunting them and getting them before they get us. If you think a policy change will make the terrorist be nice I don't know what to tell you.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -176
    SkapePhin's Avatar
    Brady Slayer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    19,219
    vCash:
    21703
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    Rome had to invade and take over countries to receive booty to keep their economy going. America is not doing that, the last thing we want to do is stay in any country.

    I agree the war on terror is a endless war. That is why we cannot shrink our military to the size recommend we should. If we do that we will just invite more attacks in our country.
    Really? That is why we have had bases in Germany and Japan for more than 7 decades after our last conflict with them? Every single place that has seen action from the US military maintains a strong US military presence there for decades after. I mean, would we really be ok with a British military base set up in Boston til this day?

    Reducing our defense budget to more reasonable levels will not invite more attacks... if anything, it would reduce it if they couldn't recruit more terrorists by pointing to a story of US bombs accidentally blowing up innocent people at a wedding in their land every other week.

    I think another thing that has happened is that we as Americans have become too sheltered from the realities of this whole situation. We always want to view ourselves as the guy in the white hat at the OK Corral, and in most cases, I think that is our intent, we try to be a force for good, but there are times when things are a bit more complicated, and our actions have led to the deaths of innocents. To those who have lost innocent family members as a result of "collateral damage", you think they view us as the guy in the white hat? Would you if in their situation? That creates more terrorist sympathizers...

    and then the ball gets volleyed over the net, and back again, ad infinitum...

    You really think the country can sustain itself for a few more centuries with half of their budget used to fight an enemy they can never defeat? I just don't see that as a possibility...
    Last edited by SkapePhin; 04-19-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -177
    tylerdolphin's Avatar
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    12,343
    vCash:
    4248
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    flynryan, I hope youre wrong, because if youre right and theres really no way America can cut the military budget the terrorists have already won. The US defense budget right now is like a middle class person buying a Ferrari because a car is a necessity. It just isnt financially sustainable.




    Quote Quote  

  8. -178
    flynryan15's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    12,268
    vCash:
    4581
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    That's bull**** you know full well we don't blow up weddings every other week and that comment is a insult to the men and women that are out there with it all on the line everyday! Unfortunately collateral damage happens in war and we go way above and beyond to prevent it!
    Quote Quote  

  9. -179
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    8,292
    vCash:
    30610
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    flynryan, I hope youre wrong, because if youre right and theres really no way America can cut the military budget the terrorists have already won. The US defense budget right now is like a middle class person buying a Ferrari because a car a a necessity. It just isnt financially sustainable.
    That's as good of an analogy for it as I've heard.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -180
    flynryan15's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    12,268
    vCash:
    4581
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    flynryan, I hope youre wrong, because if youre right and theres really no way America can cut the military budget the terrorists have already won. The US defense budget right now is like a middle class person buying a Ferrari because a car a a necessity. It just isnt financially sustainable.
    The defense budget really isn't is out of control as people make it out to be hell we spend more a year on govt pensions. Tyler sadly I am right because I don't ever see it where we live in a world that some **** bird doesn't kill innocent people to further his cause. Then again I am not foolish enough to say because a attack happens we are losing or have lost


    http://http://www.usgovernmentspendi...rrent_spending
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Group claims responsibility for Camp Zama explosions
    By TokyoFishFan in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 01:02 PM
  2. Explosions coming out of manhole, in Philly not OC
    By greatwade in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2006, 02:40 PM
  3. Explosions in The Sky
    By dblockdedicated in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 03:50 PM
  4. Multiple explosions hit Mumbai's trains
    By Miamian in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 05:50 AM
  5. Marathon
    By njfinfan in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 06:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •