Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: D.J. Hayden brings amazing near-death story to 2013 NFL Draft

  1. -1
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    4,441
    vCash:
    8588
    Thanks / No Thanks

    D.J. Hayden brings amazing near-death story to 2013 NFL Draft

    CRAZY!!!!

    "We found blood, did not find a liver injury, did not find a spleen injury, but I found there was blood leaking from something higher up in the chest," Albarado said. "And the situation changes drastically at that point, from something that's fairly routine for us to something we were not anticipating."
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10...2013-nfl-draft
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    justdev7's Avatar
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2008
    Posts:
    1,916
    vCash:
    1545
    Loc:
    Portland
    Thanks / No Thanks

    D.J. Hayden brings amazing near-death story to 2013 NFL Draft

    Wow scary stuff. Glad that trainer didn't waist any time.

    The kid is an interesting prospect at corner. He seems to be moving up boards pretty fast. Could be an option.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Hayden Fox's Avatar
    At the end of the day...

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    21,527
    vCash:
    46812
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    I love this kid. Great fit.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    4,441
    vCash:
    8588
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm I the only one thats genuinely afraid for this guys health at the next level?

    Quote Originally Posted by justdev7 View Post
    Wow scary stuff. Glad that trainer didn't waist any time.

    The kid is an interesting prospect at corner. He seems to be moving up boards pretty fast. Could be an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    I love this kid. Great fit.
    Last edited by ANUFan; 04-18-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    ckparrothead's Avatar
    Premium Member

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    47,192
    vCash:
    3201
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    2
    The injury concern is with the sternum, not the vein. Because of the way veins heal and accumulate scar tissue he's at no more risk of re-tearing it than he was of tearing it in the first place (it's kind of a one-in-a-million injury). In fact he's at reduced risk of re-tearing it at that exact same spot.

    But surgeries that involve cracking open the sternum are serious. That takes a while to heal. There could be complications. Luckily the NFL just made a new rule against what probably was the biggest risk to his healing sternum, which is a runner lowering the crown of his head directly into his chest.

    I've heard nothing that even questions whether he'll be available for mini camps and off season training activities, let alone training camp. I believe he will be medically cleared to be a full participant in everything.

    He's one guy I would just love to come out of this draft with.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    COMEBACKRICKY's Avatar
    Superbowl MVP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    946
    vCash:
    1529
    Loc:
    College Station, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Crazy story.. I did not hear about this at all thanks for sharing it. My roommate and I (both medical students) argued to the point of yelling on how it was possible for him to still survive with an inferior vena cava that was almost completely ripped off as they said it was. My roommate thinks the story is a bit over embellished but I think it's possible since you're still receiving blood from the superior vena cava.

    Anyway, physically he will be just fine. There shouldn't be too much scarring and the sutures they used to reattach the vena cava is able to handle a lot of insult. If anything it would have less chance to rip than a normal persons. They wouldn't crack open the sternum they would saw it, which the body will be able to recover from relatively easy. That should result in a sternum that was just as strong as it previously was, after about a year and a half. So, physically this guy really should be just fine.

    Mentally, however, is a much different story. Its going to take a lot of guts to step back on to the field. I would draft this guy and sit him out for an entire year. A third round pick isn't expected to make significant contributions in his first year anyway. Essentially it would be like trading this years third for first rounder next year. Let his sternum completely heal, let him gain back the weight, let him take things slowly. I wish Hayden the best, I really hope the Dolphins pick him up.


    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    LouPhinFan's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2006
    Posts:
    5,208
    vCash:
    9948
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Realistically, where would we be able to get him? #42 or #54? Or is he going to last all the way until #82? Or maybe not even to #42?
    Insert pithy saying here.

    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    ckparrothead's Avatar
    Premium Member

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    47,192
    vCash:
    3201
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEBACKRICKY View Post
    Crazy story.. I did not hear about this at all thanks for sharing it. My roommate and I (both medical students) argued to the point of yelling on how it was possible for him to still survive with an inferior vena cava that was almost completely ripped off as they said it was. My roommate thinks the story is a bit over embellished but I think it's possible since you're still receiving blood from the superior vena cava.

    Anyway, physically he will be just fine. There shouldn't be too much scarring and the sutures they used to reattach the vena cava is able to handle a lot of insult. If anything it would have less chance to rip than a normal persons. They wouldn't crack open the sternum they would saw it, which the body will be able to recover from relatively easy. That should result in a sternum that was just as strong as it previously was, after about a year and a half. So, physically this guy really should be just fine.

    Mentally, however, is a much different story. Its going to take a lot of guts to step back on to the field. I would draft this guy and sit him out for an entire year. A third round pick isn't expected to make significant contributions in his first year anyway. Essentially it would be like trading this years third for first rounder next year. Let his sternum completely heal, let him gain back the weight, let him take things slowly. I wish Hayden the best, I really hope the Dolphins pick him up.
    That kind of gets at what I was talking about with the concern about his sternum, his rookie year. The year and a half you mention is consistent with what another poster on here told me about his own personal experience with surgery that involved opening his sternum. I believe it will have only been about 9 months since his surgery the first time he plays a game with full contact, assuming he plays in the preseason of 2013. To me that means it's still iffy in his rookie year. The NFL eliminated a threat when they made it illegal for ball carriers to lower the crown of their helmet into defenders, so that should make his rookie season a little bit safer. But he won't be completely out of the woods yet as a rookie, because of the sternum not necessarily because of the vein. That was the point I was making.

    As for cracking open the sternum versus sawing it open, I see that kind of as kind of semantics. I don't imagine on the operating table they open up a sternum by grabbing both sides and going incredible hulk on it until cracks open. If I say that they had to crack open a guy's sternum to operate, I think most people are going to know what I mean.

    ---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Realistically, where would we be able to get him? #42 or #54? Or is he going to last all the way until #82? Or maybe not even to #42?
    I don't think he makes it to pick #42.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    COMEBACKRICKY's Avatar
    Superbowl MVP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    946
    vCash:
    1529
    Loc:
    College Station, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    That kind of gets at what I was talking about with the concern about his sternum, his rookie year. The year and a half you mention is consistent with what another poster on here told me about his own personal experience with surgery that involved opening his sternum. I believe it will have only been about 9 months since his surgery the first time he plays a game with full contact, assuming he plays in the preseason of 2013. To me that means it's still iffy in his rookie year. The NFL eliminated a threat when they made it illegal for ball carriers to lower the crown of their helmet into defenders, so that should make his rookie season a little bit safer. But he won't be completely out of the woods yet as a rookie, because of the sternum not necessarily because of the vein. That was the point I was making.

    As for cracking open the sternum versus sawing it open, I see that kind of as kind of semantics. I don't imagine on the operating table they open up a sternum by grabbing both sides and going incredible hulk on it until cracks open. If I say that they had to crack open a guy's sternum to operate, I think most people are going to know what I mean.
    Right, it would be pushing it. He's obviously very healthy and tough - he was back home in 6 days after surgery. However, I wouldn't want to risk any force to that sternum before it is completely finished with the healing process so I agree he does seem to be iffy for his rookie year. The new rule definitely helps lessen the risk but theres still many ways his sternum could get hit hard again. The Dolphins will be playing until February so if he does heal fast he will have a bit more time than normal to join the team.

    Hahaha, going incredible hulk in the operating room sounds like fun. Yeah it seemed like you knew what you were talking about I just wanted to clear it up for everyone else. No offense or disrespect. From my own experience when you say crack open to a patient they picture some pretty gruesome stuff and they ask for clarification, so we'd usually just say open the chest. In anatomy lab we would crack open the chest with bone shears so we literally were cracking the chest open. So there is a small difference. But you're right many people would realize they aren't going to do that in the operating room but there are also many people who read crack and picture cracking the sternum.

    So you dont think he makes it to #42? That's good to hear he's almost back to his initial draft projection before the injury but thats still risky considering he has to mentally be willing to hit and get hit.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    ckparrothead's Avatar
    Premium Member

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    47,192
    vCash:
    3201
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    2
    The mental issue is of course a big factor in all this especially as you could see on tape he had a fearlessness to him and was comfortable putting his body in harm's way. He's not a patty cake guy and he's not going to throw himself into someone's legs and tuck like a turtle to keep from contact getting into his body. But that's a good thing. If a guy was already like that before (Blidi Wreh-Wilson, IMO) and he suffers this kind of injury, that's the situation where I worry most. Here you already have a guy that shows some fear about putting his body in harm's way. The injury will exacerbate it and good luck getting him to play physical now. But in Hayden's case he was already a physical guy with no fear and I have a tough time believing one injury makes him go from that all the way to a patty cake guy.

    When he came to after surgery, he said one of his biggest regrets if he'd died would've been that he'd not played really well in the East Carolina game before the injury. He didn't want to die having played poorly his last time out. So let's keep in mind the flip side of all this. His brush with death may have had the opposite effect on him. He may play every game like it's his last.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Hayden Fox's Draft Assessment
    By Hayden Fox in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 11:20 AM
  2. The Amazing Jorvorskie Lane Story
    By ANUFan in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2012, 10:29 PM
  3. Andy Cohen: Dolphins Draft Brings Big, Strong Nucleus
    By Dubfire in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 11:10 PM
  4. Amazing story
    By Jt0323 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 03:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •