Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why is everyone caught up in Ryan Swope?

1. -41
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Texas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    More speed, yac, and td potential than our current slot receivers. Concussions are a concern. Seems like a playmaker which everyone agrees we need more of. Hartline comparisons seem racist which OP is still trying to defend despite being way out on a limb.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbhcu98 View Post
    Why is everyone caught up in Ryan Swope?
    If you ask me, I think it's because he caught that egg that was dropped from the building and didn't break it!
    ~~~~~~~

The rhythm of life is a jazz rhythm.

-Langston Hughes

Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    go find the swope thread with the excellent highlights. he is for real. he knows our offense. he is fast,its proven, regardless of what some dope says about their perception of not being fast, which is a stupid concept because you need to be a football player first. all the speed in the world doesnt mean jack unless you can do some damage while taking a hit. and you will get hit.

swope has no learning curve in our offense. none. which is why tannehill was a ahead of schedule.

We get Swope and Eifert, I am heading to south florida for a game.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Swope would be great in this offense but he is a handful of concussions away from being out of football for good..
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    People make way too big a deal about the whole racial comparison thing....it's got a place, but all and all white guys tend to play a lot like other white guys...we don't have to be blindly politically correct to see that. Now the Hartline comparison is pretty mediocre, but no need to make it out as some racial attack. People can be some damn sensitive.

Now to address the actual thread topic, I actually agree with the OP. Guys like Andrew Hawkins can be found in the later rounds and frankly slot receivers aren't something that should be drafted in the top 3 rounds unless they're extreme speed mismatches (like a Tavon). To say that Tavon and Swope are both 4.3 guys on the field is entirely wrong, I turn on the tape and see a high 4.4, low 4.5 guy and in the slot I worry about how much potential he has. There's at least 10 guys I'd take at wide receiver over him in this draft, and we desperately need SIZE. We have no redzone weapons which is our biggest weakness on offense (aside from the o-line). If I'm taking a slot guy in that 3 range gimme Bailey. If someone other than Tannehill had been throwing Swope the ball we wouldn't be having this conversation with such consensus. Tannehill's great at creating chemistry with guys, see him and Hartline.

Sign: Daryn Colledge
    Draft: 1. LB Ryan Shazier 2. OL Joel Bitonio 3. WR Donte Moncrief 4. OL Brandon Thomas 5. OT Laurent Duvernay Tardif 6. RB Bo Oliver 7. TBD

LT Albert LG Smith C Pouncey RG Colledge RT Bitonio
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=mbhcu98;1064661362]
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Seriously? So, a guy who runs faster than Randall Cobb, jumps higher than Randall Cobb, tests quicker laterally in the 3-cone and the shuttle than Randall Cobb, is taller and heavier than Randall Cobb and you want to call him Brian Hartline? Hartline runs a 4.52, Mike Wallace runs a 4.32, and Ryan Swope ran a 4.34 ... hmmmm. Hartline is 6'2, Wallace is 6'0, and Swope is 6'0 ... hmmm. If you're going to blindly compare Swope to someone without any merit ... you might as well compare him to Mike Wallace. The reality is that Ryan Swope isn't Welker, he isn't Hartline, and he isn't Mike Wallace. If Danny Amendola could stay healthy a full season, Swope would be a bigger, faster, better version of him perhaps, but really, Swope doesn't profile to any of these white receivers so many nay-sayers want to project him to be. The guys with his athletic ability are very rare.

LOL. You're comparing combine numbers instead of him ON THE FIELD.lol. Stop it. Tell me when I'm wrong- does swope run good routes? so does hartline. can swope catch the ball well? so can hartline. can they both get down field? yes. are they both good locker room guys? yes. swope may be better underneath than hartline and that's a difference but, swope still does not gives us what we need in a WR. Pay attention to that statement. That's the one that is actually important. He is a 6'0" WR. I also stated, swope doesn't give us much more than bess or Gibson. Yet you failed to comment on that part. Swope ran a 4.3 but, he studied and practiced for that 4.3. Run it again in 2 years.
    Swope holds the all-time receptions record at A&M, and he was far more productive with Tannehill than Johnny Football. Hartline wasn't even a star at Ohio State, simply a good player. Hartline has decent above-average WR speed, and can get deep, but Swope has elite speed that is game breaking. Hartline is a wide out, which is much harder to find, and Hartline excels at boundary routes and is bigger. Swope is more explosive but 2 inches smaller. Swope is the same size as Wallace.

Devone Bess is 5'9 and slow. If he were 6'2 and as athletic as Swope Bess would be one of the leagues top receivers ... but he's not. And he's not even close. Bess is much slower than Hartline and the polar opposite of Swope's game-changing breakaway speed. Swope is 3 or 4 inches taller. Swope is far more explosive. They both have good hands and run good routes. Really, the size, speed, explosion and position flexibility advantages that Swope has over Bess are so obvious its surprising that you want me to list them, but there are some if you are interested.

Gibson is bigger but very slow. Size size you could compare Gibson to Swope but Swope's explosion and breakaway speed are light years better than Gibson's.

Swope's tools give him a very real shot at being an exceptional weapon at all 3 positions. Bess and Gibson are role players.
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Atila - the freshmaker.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought Swope was expected to be approx a 4th round pick? This thread makes it sound like the Dolphins/teams are seriously considering him as a 1st round pick.

Relax.

www.DiamondandDesign.com
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Go get me a juice box!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    4 concussions in college?

Pass.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Bess ran a 4.3 instead of a 6.3..this wouldn't be a issue.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=uk_dolfan;1064661460]
    Quote Originally Posted by mbhcu98 View Post

lol

he did it all? do you approve of white recievers playing more than one set role? Dont they have to play the Swope/Hartine/Welker/Decker/Nelson/Amendola role?
    Yes, he did it all in college. He's a very good football player,just not what we need. He doesn't bring much we don't already have. You said that other stuff. Nice to see how you feel.
    Quote Quote