Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Why is everyone caught up in Ryan Swope?

1. -81
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=mbhcu98;1064663981][QUOTE=Digital;1064663905]
    Quote Originally Posted by mbhcu98 View Post

I haven't heard Hunter has weak hands. I'm hearing he had absolutely no problems with his hands prior to the knee injury. The problems he had this year, many are putting it to a mental thing coming off his knee. I don't hear too often a WR coming out with the distinction of having weak hands as a major concern. Maybe small hands but, weak hands have never been a major concern. Weak hands is not akin to a qb having a noodle arm. The WRs you name are all stars and considering Calvin Johnson, Victor Cruz and Demaryus Thomas are some of the leaders in drops, it's a stat that isn't too much of a concern. Besides, Hunter is being profiled as a WR that can go up and get the ball. He isn't being rated a 1st or 2nd round prospect because he can't catch. There's a reason the dropped passes list changes from year to year so much. They tend to concentrate on it more after dropping a lot of passes.
    Well when you get some time to do a little more research on Justin Hunter, whom I absolutely love as a draft prospect, lack of strength everywhere and inability to come down with the ball in traffic because of weak arms/hands are the two biggest weaknesses that you'll find. All the film shows it and all the analysts mention it if they mention weaknesses. He is a guy who is classically able to create separation in every direction. He has burst (as demonstrated with his fantastic vertical jump and broad jump), speed (as shown by his 4.44 in the 40), length and lift to go up and get the ball over defenders, tremendous ability to stop on a dime to create separation, etc. The guy has it all. But, one of the things you and I really like about the guy is that he has that length and leap to be a scary good red zone threat.

The problem with this isn't being bumped at the LOS, but when he's trying to come down with that catch in the end zone, DB's who rip & rake with strength can separate him from the ball and prevent the catch as he's coming down. That is absolutely an area where he needs to improve. Most think it's the only thing separating him from being a top 10 pick. If you think he can develop that, there's no question you take him very high in this draft.
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

2. -82
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm saying those records show production at the college level and that production means absolutely nothing. Check the players I named. How correctly did their production forecast future talent?

As far as Cobb is concerned, the off field tests mean very little as well. LOOK AT THEM ON THE FIELD, then get back to me. And again, the tests are studied for. They are not preparing for the field when they do these little tests. They are performing for the test itself. Those numbers mean little. How important do you really feel Manti T;eo's 40 time is to his playing ability? His 40 time will mean extremely little when he is on the field next season.

I never said Swope wasn't fast. He is but, in college he got to showcase his speed because the plays took him all over the field. Inside, outside, both. Swope was everywhere in college. He won't be eberywhere in the nfl. He'll be in that slot, lined up against athletes that can make up his 4.3 speed with press coverages, bumps and proper angles. His vertical is another unimportant test score. He'll need the vert when his qb makes a bad pass or must go high over the middle(you don't want to do that to much considering the concussions) but, how high he jumps will be irrelevant. He isn't a red zone threat and won't play outside much. One of the important things you say is, "Watching his film you see that the kid simply outplays his competition and he does it effortlessly". He will get nothing effortlessly in the NFL. The suggestion being he is such a good athlete he doesn't have to work as hard as others. He isn't that special in the nfl. There is a reason no nfl player ever has a 40 done EVER after the combine.... it doesn't matter. Swope is not a gliding runner. That's just a bad statement. His feet look like they hit the ground very hard and his shoulders move a lot. He does not glide when he runs. He looks like he is working when he runs. The difference in running styles between Austin- who does glide- and swope- who does not- is major. One is smooth and glides, the othe runs hard and fast and that's about it. He doesn't have many moves or "jukes". He's just fast and it is my contention, his speed won't be as big a part of his game as some think it will be. Not in the long run anyway. The longer he plays, the more he will be playing with his head than his speed.
    OK, here's the thing. You want to discount what others see on tape and all the combine metrics. But, almost all of the NFL personnel people and the NFL draft analysts see the film and see a guy who is a special athlete with lots of speed, acceleration and burst. If you don't see that, fair enough, but the burden isn't on everyone else to convince you really ... the burden is on you to convince everybody else. Otherwise, we'll just have to agree to disagree, which is fine.

As for Swope's production, he did it against a lot of teams, including teams like Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc. Teams that regularly recruit among the best teams and always have a slew of very fast guys. Those are the sorts of guys speed-wise that he'll face in the NFL. No doubt that the NFL are stronger, better prepared, take better angles, etc., but that's true of every prospect's opponents. What Swope proved was that against some of the best teams and players that the NCAA had to offer, he was explosive, fast, and a playmaker. For you to convince me that isn't the case, it'll take more than you just not seeing it on the tape. Otherwise, it looks like we've reached an impasse. Perhaps we should respectfully agree to disagree on this one?

We can re-visit it this time next year and probably reach consensus, but I'm not sure we can until he plays in the NFL, wherever that ends up being.
    Quote Quote  

3. -83
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ryan swope would be welker dangerous in bunch settings. All I can say is Wallace Hartline Gibson Mathews and Swope all over the place.

Then think Eifert split wide in one package and inline on another with Swope. WR rotations when they get tired. You know damn well with dual rep camp they will work on packages in no-huddle where we move WR packages in and out. imagine.......

Eifert and Swope or........I will take Stedman Bailey as well. Thats it. Thats all you need.
    Quote Quote  

4. -84
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He isn't the WR for us. He is basically Hartline with a 4.3 40 and 2 inches shorter. We need a red zone threat with some speed. Swope is not that and he isn't the game changer Tavon Austin is at the slot. Swope won't bring anything we don't already have in Bess and Gibson. We already know those 2 can get it done in the NFL. We have no clue what Swope will do and he doesn't give us what we need. I know it feels good for certain people to see a white guy run a 4.3 but, he doesn't give us what we need. The only way I see him on our team is if we remake our WRs AGAIN and trade Bess and Gibson. Even if we do pick up Swope, we still need that 6'4", red zone threat. Swope isn't him.

Swope > Bess

he breaks tackels and is faster than bess
    Dol-fans....

Quote Quote