Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama deserves an Oscar

1. -21
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finomenal View Post
    If you took time to actually read the Infowars article alone, you'd see it's not an Alex Jones piece where he's writing his opinion, but obviously your mind was already made up. There are multiple references in that first link alone from The Harvard School for Public Health, dental medical studies (Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 1997;41:29—44), National Academy of Sciences, and many other references.

It doesn't surprise me that you would do another sarcastic one liner as if I provided one reference only from a puff piece article. You seem to have a knack for that. I'm sure if I provided more links from respected sources such as The Harvard School for Public Health and left out Infowars, you'd still find a way to belittle the message.

I get it. You don't agree and you're not open to any idea of the contrary. You're entrenched in your position. No amount of facts, medical or otherwise will change that. We'll agree to disagree.
    1. I went through a whole debate in the science forum with rob19 about fluoride. I've read all about it. It's a bunch of woo woo nonsense. Fluoride isn't merely not bad for you it's one of the great public health triumphs of the 20th century. To claim that the government puts it in the water to make people stupid is hilarious in that sad way that's almost proof that you're right.

2. Infowars is a bull**** source, worth belittling. Do they get their pathetic brains around a fact once in a while? I'm sure they do. Not even people who try to lie always succeed. I laugh at anyone and everyone who posts an article from there, even posters I actually like, just as I'd laugh if they **** themselves in my presence.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathStar View Post
    Am I the only one that focuses on making money?
    Says the guy with the most posts in the thread
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    July 25, 2012 — For years health experts have been unable to agree on whether fluoride in the drinking water may be toxic to the developing human brain. Extremely high levels of fluoride are known to cause neurotoxicity in adults, and negative impacts on memory and learning have been reported in rodent studies, but little is known about the substance’s impact on children’s neurodevelopment. In a meta-analysis, researchers from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and China Medical University in Shenyang for the first time combined 27 studies and found strong indications that fluoride may adversely affect cognitive development in children. Based on the findings, the authors say that this risk should not be ignored, and that more research on fluoride’s impact on the developing brain is warranted.

The study was published online in Environmental Health Perspectives on July 20, 2012.

The researchers conducted a systematic review of studies, almost all of which are from China where risks from fluoride are well-established. Fluoride is a naturally occurring substance in groundwater, and exposures to the chemical are increased in some parts of China. Virtually no human studies in this field have been conducted in the U.S., said lead author Anna Choi, research scientist in the Department of Environmental Health at HSPH.

Even though many of the studies on children in China differed in many ways or were incomplete, the authors consider the data compilation and joint analysis an important first step in evaluating the potential risk. “For the first time we have been able to do a comprehensive meta-analysis that has the potential for helping us plan better studies. We want to make sure that cognitive development is considered as a possible target for fluoride toxicity,” Choi said.

Choi and senior author Philippe Grandjean, adjunct professor of environmental health at HSPH, and their colleagues collated the epidemiological studies of children exposed to fluoride from drinking water. The China National Knowledge Infrastructure database also was included to locate studies published in Chinese journals. They then analyzed possible associations with IQ measures in more than 8,000 children of school age; all but one study suggested that high fluoride content in water may negatively affect cognitive development.

The average loss in IQ was reported as a standardized weighted mean difference of 0.45, which would be approximately equivalent to seven IQ points for commonly used IQ scores with a standard deviation of 15.* Some studies suggested that even slightly increased fluoride exposure could be toxic to the brain. Thus, children in high-fluoride areas had significantly lower IQ scores than those who lived in low-fluoride areas. The children studied were up to 14 years of age, but the investigators speculate that any toxic effect on brain development may have happened earlier, and that the brain may not be fully capable of compensating for the toxicity.

“Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury, and other poisons that cause chemical brain drain,” Grandjean says. “The effect of each toxicant may seem small, but the combined damage on a population scale can be serious, especially because the brain power of the next generation is crucial to all of us.”
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/fea...randjean-choi/

Serum-fluoride concentrations associated with high intakes from drinking-water may exceed 1 mg/L, or 50 Smol/L, thus more than 1000-times the levels of some other neurotoxicants that cause neurodevelopmental damage. Supporting the plausibility of our findings, rats exposed to 1 ppm (50 Smol/L) of water-fluoride for one year showed morphological alterations in the brain and increased levels of aluminum in brain tissue compared with controls...
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-children.aspx

Fluoride isn't merely not bad for you it's one of the great public health triumphs of the 20th century.
    It's unquestionably bad for you. Drink enough fluoride & see what happens. The argument isn't that it isn't toxic, but that it's in such a small quantity that it won't adversely affect you.

I don't think the intention of the government was to try to poison anyone, I think they had good intentions as it being a cost-effective aide to dental care. I don't know how anyone would claim they know for sure that the levels are safe though, when there wasn't any studies done on long term effects of fluoride on other bodily organs besides teeth before they starting fluoridating the water. It was absolutely a beta-test on the public.

The Danish Minister of Environment recommended against fluoridation in 1977 because "no adequate studies had been carried out on its long-term effects on human organ systems other than teeth
    On the other hand, logic would seem to dictate that after so many years of fluoridation, we'd have some greater evidence of harm then presently exists.

I'm not here to convert anyone, though. Just presenting some information.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mercola.com. What a surprise! And Harvard? Seriously Rob? Isn't that were Bush and Obama learned how to run a country?

“I’m somewhat disappointed that more African Americans don’t think for themselves and just go with whatever they’re supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    It's unquestionably bad for you. Drink enough fluoride & see what happens. The argument isn't that it isn't toxic, but that it's in such a small quantity that it won't adversely affect you.
    I dont know enough about fluoride to offer an intelligent opinion on whether or not it should be in the water, but this argument doesn't really prove much. You can say the same about lots of safe things we expose ourselves to, including water itself.

I personally grew up without fluoride in my water. Most people where Im from drink rain water. I drink tap water in the states, but I think I dodged the bullet of it turns out fluoride really does make kids stupid

Quote Quote  

6. -26
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I dont know enough about fluoride to offer an intelligent opinion on whether or not it should be in the water, but this argument doesn't really prove much. You can say the same about lots of safe things we expose ourselves to, including water itself.

I personally grew up without fluoride in my water. Most people where Im from drink rain water. I drink tap water in the states, but I think I dodged the bullet of it turns out fluoride really does make kids stupid
    Precisely.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    la la land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Finomenal, Rob, cmon guys just focus on preparing yourselves and others who may wanna wake up. Most people on here are mainstream cattle, actually performing critical thought is way too scary for them. Just let them be content. The truth will destroy their slumber eventually and you wont wanna be anywhere near the cattle when they realize they've been living in a slaughterhouse all this time. Mock all you want guys.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by studsatele View Post
    Finomenal, Rob, cmon guys just focus on preparing yourselves and others who may wanna wake up. Most people on here are mainstream cattle, actually performing critical thought is way too scary for them. Just let them be content. The truth will destroy their slumber eventually and you wont wanna be anywhere near the cattle when they realize they've been living in a slaughterhouse all this time. Mock all you want guys.
    You didn't really need to add this part.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Had that been the only thing I posted I'd agree, but I'm not just asserting it's poisonous, we know it's poisonous. Are you familiar with the term "lethal-dose 50"? It's the level at which 50% of the subjects die at a given dose. Here's how fluoride compares to other well known toxic substances.

That poison label on your toothpaste isn't there because of the peppermint. It's an obvious given that "anything can be toxic at high enough levels", but some things are obviously more toxic than others.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fluoride's ld50 toxicity is in the same range as Aspirin, caffeine, nicotine and capsaicin (which makes spicy food spicy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_lethal_dose
    Quote Quote