Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Upon further reflection...No to Branden Albert!

Hybrid View

  1. -1
    BlueFin's Avatar
    Seer of Visions

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2004
    Posts:
    12,174
    vCash:
    3348
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Upon further reflection...No to Branden Albert!

    I don't see this possible move as one that makes sense...If we are going to pay a big salary we should have kept Jake Long, who was performing at a level comparable to Branden Albert and saved the draft pick in a deep draft.

    Branden Albert was not an elite left tackle last year and was ranked #13 by PFF based on last years performance.

    Jonathan Martin is a left tackle and did a fine job for Andrew Luck at Stanford...I say lets develop Martin at left tackle and draft a right tackle...which will also save some cap room versus Albert's overated salary demands (which is why KC is willing to move him).

    Worst case scenario Martin doesn't pan out and we get a left tackle later, we could even double down and draft a left tackle prospect later in this draft.

    This move reeks of panic to me and is a mistake.
    WVDolphan:

    "
    Fiedler did not have the arm strength of Tannehill, but overall he was a much better QB."

    Attack the Person, Not the Ideas:






    Attack the person in some way. For example:
    • Attack their expertise, questioning their qualifications or experience
    • Comment on their inability to make a good argument
    • Attach them to discredited others

    Example


    You are not qualified to make such a statement.
    You would say that, wouldn't you.
    And who do you think is going to believe you.

    Attacking the Person is a form of distraction, forcing them into defense and away from their argument.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    DcRy82's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    1,259
    vCash:
    1328
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Agreed. I wasn't interested in keeping Jake, but I agree with the rest. I'd actually rather keep Martin at left, and sign Winston to the 3-4 mil/yr he's talking about.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    BlueFin's Avatar
    Seer of Visions

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2004
    Posts:
    12,174
    vCash:
    3348
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DcRy82 View Post
    Agreed. I wasn't interested in keeping Jake, but I agree with the rest. I'd actually rather keep Martin at left, and sign Winston to the 3-4 mil/yr he's talking about.
    t

    I agree on Jake, I guess my point was keeping Jake would have been as good as getting Albert, without losing the draft pick.

    I would prefer to move Martin to Left tackle, draft Teron Armstead for Right tackle and maybe double down with another draft pick.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2005
    Posts:
    3,034
    vCash:
    2511
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can see Ireland's logic as far as not wanting two young, unproven players protecting Tannehill on the edge. Plus, it's a question as to whether Jonathan Martin takes that next step. I guess it comes down to what you'd rather have --- Albert by giving up the 2b pick (#54), or Lane Johnson by giving up 1st (#12) and 2b (#54).
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    BlueFin's Avatar
    Seer of Visions

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2004
    Posts:
    12,174
    vCash:
    3348
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    I can see Ireland's logic as far as not wanting two young, unproven players protecting Tannehill on the edge. Plus, it's a question as to whether Jonathan Martin takes that next step. I guess it comes down to what you'd rather have --- Albert by giving up the 2b pick (#54), or Lane Johnson by giving up 1st (#12) and 2b (#54).
    But again, Albert is not an elite left tackle, and he does impact our cap situation significantly.

    I would rather move up for Lane Johnson than make this move...Johnson's contract would be cap friendly for the next few years, and his ceiling is very high.

    Do you want to be good or do you want to be great?

    And, I thought Martin did ok for a rookie getting moved from RT back to LT so late in the season. Another off-season of development gives me optimism that he will be fine at LT.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2005
    Posts:
    3,034
    vCash:
    2511
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    But again, Albert is not an elite left tackle, and he does impact our cap situation significantly.

    I would rather move up for Lane Johnson than make this move...Johnson's contract would be cap friendly for the next few years, and his ceiling is very high.

    Do you want to be good or do you want to be great?

    And, I thought Martin did ok for a rookie getting moved from RT back to LT so late in the season. Another off-season of development gives me optimism that he will be fine at LT.
    I think the best case scenario for Miami might be to get a pass rusher or corner at #12 and then trade back in for Pugh. I also like Kyle Long as a 2A possibility. The Dolphins may need a slight trade up to get him. Honestly, I don't hate the Albert trade talks but I'd rather get a younger player to develop.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    RockyMtnPhinfan's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2006
    Posts:
    2,492
    vCash:
    1087
    Loc:
    Steamboat Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...april-19-2013/


    Long was not playing at the level of Albert the past two seasons. We don't HAVE TO pay Albert his franchise tag amount correct? Can't we trade for him contingent on him signing a 3-4 year contract at 7 million or so per year?
    If we could pick a starting LT at the 54th pick and KNOW he could start from day one, wouldn't you say yes to that?


    Don't get me wrong i am impressed by Johnsons athleticism, and would be happy if he fell to us- but i don't want to surrender two picks to move up and get him.




    Reshad "GET IT ON" Jones
    gettin it on!
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Geforce's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    8,061
    vCash:
    3754
    Loc:
    O-town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    I don't see this possible move as one that makes sense...If we are going to pay a big salary we should have kept Jake Long, who was performing at a level comparable to Branden Albert and saved the draft pick in a deep draft.

    Branden Albert was not an elite left tackle last year and was ranked #13 by PFF based on last years performance.

    Jonathan Martin is a left tackle and did a fine job for Andrew Luck at Stanford...I say lets develop Martin at left tackle and draft a right tackle...which will also save some cap room versus Albert's overated salary demands (which is why KC is willing to move him).

    Worst case scenario Martin doesn't pan out and we get a left tackle later, we could even double down and draft a left tackle prospect later in this draft.

    This move reeks of panic to me and is a mistake.
    I wish people would stop saying we should have kept Jake Long. The Dolphins offered Jake Long a contract comparable to what the Rams offered but Jake chose St Lous over Miami.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    Ikema's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    656
    vCash:
    1411
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I say go athletic. Trade down for another 2nd if possible, grab Pugh and Long and take our chances. We would have to reach for Pugh at 12 but that still might be the right call if it improves our Guard play. Of course I'll be eating my words if Tannehill gets injured...
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    BlueFin's Avatar
    Seer of Visions

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2004
    Posts:
    12,174
    vCash:
    3348
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Albert was elite...I would agree with getting him, since he IS NOT....I'd rather build a young line around Pouncey with Jonathan Martin at left tackle...thats my opinion.

    If Albert was good enough, why would KC trade him only to spend a number one overall just to replace him?

    The answer is he is not that good, he is adequate but not great.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Branden Albert: KC or NE
    By South Florida in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
  2. Take Branden Albert #1
    By lbmclean_sj in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 11:48 AM
  3. Branden Albert
    By Ghetti13 in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 12:56 AM
  4. Branden Albert
    By Canuck in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 09:47 AM
  5. Branden Albert at it again
    By umpalu in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 05:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •