Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upon further reflection...No to Branden Albert!

1. -21
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Outside USA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Chiefs and Dolphins agree to the higher Fins 3rd round pick instead of the 2nd........ does this change the mind of anyone that wasnt in favor of his trade?

just curious....
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Upon further reflection...No to Branden Albert!

Albert, by PFF's ranking, is barely in the top half of tackles, but he is in the top half. The guys we have now are near the bottom. Maybe I'm being overly simplistic, but that sounds like an upgrade to me.

What we should or shouldn't have paid Long is irrelevant. He's gone. We should evaluate the situation we are in now and the alternatives we have now, not coulda woulda shoulda.

There is no guarantee that any of the top three tackes in this draft will start, let alone be in the top half. Maybe Joeckel, but no guarantees.

I'd do the deal. I expect Ireland to keep the money reasonable.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I WAS interested in keeping Jake Long. When you're building a team, you need to acquire talent, and we're replacing an 5 year veteran overpriced but better than average LT with a high upside ... with a 5 year veteran overpriced but average LT with a high upside and giving up a 2nd round draft pick. Doesn't make much sense to me.

If we were to use that #54 pick we could get a real contributor, now we will not. By going the trade route instead of drafting a LT, we don't really save much money, because Albert isn't signing for 7M per year, he's asking for the same sort of money Jake Long got and 1 year from now he may command it in the open market if we don't sign him to a long term contract.

Without resigning Jake Long, there are no good options. Personally, I'm probably leaning towards keeping the #54 pick and taking a developmental OT like Terron Armstead or Kyle Long with that pick and in a few years having a solid OT with some good upside. The problem, obviously, is that we can't really subject Tannehill's backside to that learning curve and expect him to stay healthy. That's why it made no sense to me to not resign Jake Long. Now, our options are bad or terrible. Overpaying a bit to resign Jake Long would have been not-ideal, but significantly better than both bad and terrible IMHO.
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spiketex View Post
    Let's take a look at Jeff Ireland's 2nd round draft performance to date. Philip Merling, Chad Henne, Pat White, Sean Smith, Koa Misi, Daniel Thomas and Jonathon Martin. Not enough superstars in that group. (OK Ireland is overdue for a great 2nd round pick). Albert is a proven OT and has successfully protected his QBs. I understand that he only gave up one sack last season protecting Matt Cassell and Brady Quinn. This is basically what we need. He's not cheap but he's decent.
    That's a very important piece to the puzzle spiketex. But, shouldn't we also look at the other people with input into the decision making in addition to Ireland? So we factor in Bill Parcells ... and I think at a minimum we can attribute some of Pat White, Chad Henne and Koa Misi to Parcells, right? I think Daniel Thomas should at least in part be attributed to Sparano as well, can we agree on that?

Contrast that with today. I'd say the big 4 decision makers are Ireland, Philbin, Sherman and Coyle, probably in that order of input importance. Assuming Ireland remained static, which I don't assume, but we will for the sake of discussion, we can definitely see different tendencies from the other people. Philbin vs. Sparano. Philbin's former team had a tendency to pick good WR's in the 2nd round, guys like Greg Jennings and Randall Cobb. That is very different from what Parcells/Ireland/Sparano got out of that round. Then let's look at Sherman, he was also part of that same Packer machine, and then went on to recruit at Texas A&M and bring in recruits that nobody else wanted like Tannehill (couldn't get a scholarship offer from Texas Tech), and lots of top notch talent like Luke Joeckel, Matthews (still there), Damontre Moore, and Ryan Swope. While Sherman can't take the credit for all of that, I think it's fair to say that he has a good eye for talent. Seeing as he was Philbin's mentor and that the two see eye to eye on most things, I suspect Sherman's input is significant. Then we have Coyle, who wants to play a different style of defense from Parcells, by switching us from a 34 to a 43, and reportedly wanting to move us from a off-man scheme to a zone scheme primarily, which requires different CB's and ones that can be found more easily and who produce more takeaways.

Ireland's track record in the 2nd round isn't good. We agree. But, it seems fair to also recognize that he was never making unilateral decisions then and he will not be making unilateral decisions now. He is drafting for completely different schemes and styles. My thought is that those things plus the input of people like Philbin, Sherman and Coyle will shape this draft differently than the drafts before Philbin. In his first year, those guys didn't have the time to devote to that because they didn't even know their own roster well enough. This year I'm expecting a more forceful and targeted input from Philbin, Sherman and Coyle.

Will the results differ? Dunno, but I think we have reason to suspect it will not be a repeat of the Parcells drafts.
    Quote Quote