Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upon further reflection...No to Branden Albert!

1. -11
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    Albert makes a lot of sense - if you're insecure about your ability to draft an OT in the 2nd or 3rd Round.
    If that is the case...then we are in trouble, assuming of course, you have faith in the development of Jonathan Martin.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I totally agree. I will not like this trade at all.. I mean you Are giving up a 2nd pick AND what 7mil per I guess.. Albert is not an elite Tackle like many said here.. Hope it does not happen.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Greetings from Portlandia

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland, OR
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    If Albert was elite...I would agree with getting him, since he IS NOT....I'd rather build a young line around Pouncey with Jonathan Martin at left tackle...thats my opinion.

If Albert was good enough, why would KC trade him only to spend a number one overall just to replace him?

The answer is he is not that good, he is adequate but not great.
    No. Joeckel may not be as good as Albert; he is younger and much cheaper. KC doesn't want to pick first but no one will trade up with them. Their best move is to make Joeckel their version of Ryan Kalil (2M Probowl LT rookie) to save lots of money. Miami has the money, QB is cheap for 2-3 years, and they can draft their own cheap blue chipper at #12.

KC would keep Albert if they had 7M laying around.

Albert is better than Long.

RW
    Make your own rules!

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let's take a look at Jeff Ireland's 2nd round draft performance to date. Philip Merling, Chad Henne, Pat White, Sean Smith, Koa Misi, Daniel Thomas and Jonathon Martin. Not enough superstars in that group. (OK Ireland is overdue for a great 2nd round pick). Albert is a proven OT and has successfully protected his QBs. I understand that he only gave up one sack last season protecting Matt Cassell and Brady Quinn. This is basically what we need. He's not cheap but he's decent.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So even if Miami could get one of the top three tackles in the draft at the 12th spot it would be a bad move. My reasoning is that if they're as good as people say they are in a few years you're going to have to pay them top tackle money and since everyone here says it makes no sense to pay a top tackle than Miami would just have to get rid of him any way. Heck even if you drafted a tackle in the second or third round we would have to hope he doesn't turn out great. So if we don't want a good tackle, just and average one, why not just start Nate Garner and call it a day.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    But again, Albert is not an elite left tackle, and he does impact our cap situation significantly.

I would rather move up for Lane Johnson than make this move...Johnson's contract would be cap friendly for the next few years, and his ceiling is very high.

Do you want to be good or do you want to be great?

And, I thought Martin did ok for a rookie getting moved from RT back to LT so late in the season. Another off-season of development gives me optimism that he will be fine at LT.
    I think the best case scenario for Miami might be to get a pass rusher or corner at #12 and then trade back in for Pugh. I also like Kyle Long as a 2A possibility. The Dolphins may need a slight trade up to get him. Honestly, I don't hate the Albert trade talks but I'd rather get a younger player to develop.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Greetings from Portlandia

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland, OR
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorygrant83 View Post
    So even if Miami could get one of the top three tackles in the draft at the 12th spot it would be a bad move. My reasoning is that if they're as good as people say they are in a few years you're going to have to pay them top tackle money and since everyone here says it makes no sense to pay a top tackle than Miami would just have to get rid of him any way. Heck even if you drafted a tackle in the second or third round we would have to hope he doesn't turn out great. So if we don't want a good tackle, just and average one, why not just start Nate Garner and call it a day.
    This the fallout of the new CBA rookie salary structure; look for teams to bail on expensive vets in favor highly rated rookies, whom they can "exploit" for five years, dump them, and then just draft another one. Everything has changed now, Teams will value low-risk players more than ever.

RW
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RichmondWeb View Post
    This the fallout of the new CBA rookie salary structure; look for teams to bail on expensive vets in favor highly rated rookies, whom they can "exploit" for five years, dump them, and then just draft another one. Everything has changed now, Teams will value low-risk players more than ever.

RW
    Which is exactly why Albert is a bad idea.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So....has anyone here seen the Chicago Bears the last couple of years? Good quarterback, great weapons, very good running game...and Jay Cutler spends the entire game either running for his life or catching the snap and then getting blasted from the blindside, from up the middle....everywhere.

What don't we understand about needing to keep Tannehill upright? I would've liked to see Martin grow at LT and sign Winston, but that's not happening for whatever reason. We finally have a quarterback and we finally got our quarterback toys. Now we want to jeopardize the whole thing by having a rookie and a 2nd year guy manning the tackle positions???

And Jake Long WAS BREAKING DOWN. Branden Albert started every game last year and allowed 1 SACK LAST YEAR, while protecting CRAPPY, INDECISIVE QUARTERBACKS.

Dude...this can be very frustrating...
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spiketex View Post
    Let's take a look at Jeff Ireland's 2nd round draft performance to date. Philip Merling, Chad Henne, Pat White, Sean Smith, Koa Misi, Daniel Thomas and Jonathon Martin. Not enough superstars in that group. (OK Ireland is overdue for a great 2nd round pick). Albert is a proven OT and has successfully protected his QBs. I understand that he only gave up one sack last season protecting Matt Cassell and Brady Quinn. This is basically what we need. He's not cheap but he's decent.
    Not for nothin, but every GM practically has this kind of record with second round picks. Including Bill Belechick. Yeah everyone remembers Gronk, but the dude has had so many draft picks in 2nd round the last ten years its not funny. And who else did he score on? His first round picks arent even all that stellar as he traded up for guys who were mostly second round guys who rose in stock in last week.

Now back to Albert.

We dont have to do anything here but its nice to have a backup plan. Signing Albert depends on one thing, his contract and what he is willing to accept. Giving up a 54 for him is not bad at all for a guy who is considered middle of the pack of starting LT's in the league right now. The other option is to draft Armstead at 42 for a rookie. So pick your poison. Green guy for 42 or experienced pro LT at 54.

But bottom line is we can wait until draft day and keep the pressure on KC because this dude is not going to want to stick around while young stud shows him up as they drafts someone they really could live without. Which does leave the option open to a small degree that they would actually take a DT or CB.
    Quote Quote