Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: A Very Simple Look at An Albert Trade

1. -101
    Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Orleans/Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
    Fair enough. We disagree on the part where this offense and Ryan Tannehill can still run and GROW with Martin and a rookie 2nd rounder as our starting tackles, and you seem to think that Albert will only help the team next year and somehow disapear afterwards. I do agree that ideally, you'd get those position fixed with lower rounds, in house groomed prospects. But we're not this this situation as a team right now and this is where we're arguing back and forth.

nonetheless, I enjoyed this discussion, all class! this is why I come to finheaven. Now Im out to sleep!
    I enjoyed the talk as well.

Before you go, I don't think Albert just disappears after this year... what I believe is that you have a diminishing return vs if you find a good tackle in the draft. Obviously it all is conditioned on Jeff drafting a good one, there is risk there no matter who is making the pick.. but as a rookie, Albert obviously has the largest gap in production there. I just think in a 3 year window (more like 4-5 but lets just do three)... Alberts play + contract vs. good draft pick and rookie contract is going to be marginal in actual play difference and a sizeable difference in compensation.

Again, i'd prefer a veteran OT first... find some in the draft.... because protecting your QB is important... I just don't think Albert is the move

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Canadi-Phin View Post
    Fair enough, haha. I hope somehow Martin maybe proves us all wrong including the FO and become an above average LT. Going to be an interesting week. Let's hope no matter what they choose it works out.
    I hope so too. I'm not too confident but if he can solidify the LT position.....but if he can...... he is GOLD as far as I'm concerned haha he would be making my point AND the dolphins would have a good LT
    Quote Quote  

2. -102
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadi-Phin View Post
    Yes they do and no they don't, safeties, MLBs, RBs (now), guards, TEs, even corners never go top 3. Even AP went 6th. If McKinnie came here for 4mil okay but what's the long term plan, also does McKinnie fit the zbs? I'm not against anything I just want us to have the best team we can going forward. Albert would most likely contribute more over the next three years then whoever we draft at 54 or 3A.
    Didn't realize "high" just encompassed the first 3 picks. There have been as many RBs taken "high" in the last ten years as OTs including one taken just last year (Richardson). There have been exactly 4 OTs taken "high" over the last ten years and they don't have a playoff win between them: Jake Long, Joe Thomas, Robert Gallery and Jason Smith, all terrible picks in retrospect so just because its happening doesn't make it right.
    Quote Quote  

3. -103
    Yippi ka yay mother******!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by damanref10 View Post
    I enjoyed the talk as well.

Before you go, I don't think Albert just disappears after this year... what I believe is that you have a diminishing return vs if you find a good tackle in the draft. Obviously it all is conditioned on Jeff drafting a good one, there is risk there no matter who is making the pick.. but as a rookie, Albert obviously has the largest gap in production there. I just think in a 3 year window (more like 4-5 but lets just do three)... Alberts play + contract vs. good draft pick and rookie contract is going to be marginal in actual play difference and a sizeable difference in compensation.

Again, i'd prefer a veteran OT first... find some in the draft.... because protecting your QB is important... I just don't think Albert is the move

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

I hope so too. I'm not too confident but if he can solidify the LT position.....but if he can...... he is GOLD as far as I'm concerned haha he would be making my point AND the dolphins would have a good LT
    I'll bite, its Saturday night after all. With Albert, you know what you're getting, with a rookie your gambling, even moreso if your hoping to get a starting caliber LT out of the first round. With the new rookie wage scale, the financial risk is gone and is now the total upside of hitting on a great player and paying him peanuts for 4 years, but it doesn't change the talent you get. the bust ratio is still the same. So now your left with a 2nd round pick and what to do with it. You'll either invest it in a lets say 15% chance you get a good starting LT for chump change OR invest it in a KNOWN proven good LT for pretty much market value. This is what its all about...
    Quote Quote  

4. -104
    I hate everyone else in the AFC East

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Didn't realize "high" just encompassed the first 3 picks. There have been as many RBs taken "high" in the last ten years as OTs including one taken just last year (Richardson). There have been exactly 4 OTs taken "high" over the last ten years and they don't have a playoff win between them: Jake Long, Joe Thomas, Robert Gallery and Jason Smith, all terrible picks in retrospect so just because its happening doesn't make it right.
    Is there a draft ever where we all couldn't pick it apart and move players up? Of course not, this is all a gamble. Every year tackles get taken high. Khalil was taken 3rd last year wasn't he? I think the position has more importance then others on here. Certain position are considered premium for a reason. Rb is losing its spot as a premium positionas team believe they can find guys to run there system later in the draft, but tackle never will and could be argued that it's becoming more important as the league becomes a more pass friendly league. Never said it was right but it happens for a reason, teams value good tackles especially LT.
    Let's go Miami!!!!
    Quote Quote  

5. -105
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If high pick is described as top 15, over the last 10 years this is the breakdown of positions taken (average per year):

QB: 2.1
    DE: 2.0
    DT: 1.9
    WR: 1.8
    OT: 1.8
    LB: 1.7
    CB: 1.5
    RB: 1.2
    TE: 0.2
    G/C: 0.1

OT is definitely a premiere position but its one of many, not the clear second rung just behind QB as you would have us believe.
    Quote Quote  

6. -106
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    KC is not going to have 30mil. tied up on LT. They will cut Albert if they draft one.
    Quote Quote  

7. -107
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    O-town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lurking View Post
    KC is not going to have 30mil. tied up on LT. They will cut Albert if they draft one.
    KC gains nothing by just cutting Albert. Branden's contract is fully guaranteed and unless he is traded it will cost the Chiefs $9.8+ million whether Albert is on the team or not.
    Quote Quote  

8. -108
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geforce View Post
    KC gains nothing by just cutting Albert. Branden's contract is fully guaranteed and unless he is traded it will cost the Chiefs $9.8+ million whether Albert is on the team or not.
    My bad on the gauranteed money, but If they can't trade him before the draft, there not going to draft one. KC is not going to have 30mil. Tied up at LT.
    Quote Quote  

9. -109
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not to hammer home the point that a few people have already said, but I really hope Ireland is playing hard ball, its probably the best position to do so in a long while.

We've literally got them by the balls and should hopefully be hard balling by offering a 3rd maximum, not a 2nd round draft pick. Its in KC's best interest, to get out of their tight position in a pretty underwhelming draft class, why make their life easy - this is business. It doesn't seem to be reported that anyone else is sniffing around Albert, so why should the Phins play mother Theresa.

I unfortunately feel if another better well run FO such as the Ravens or Patsies were in the Phins shoes they would find a way of squeezing the Chiefs.

Comon Ireland, make the Chiefs sweat right until the final minute of draft day - they have more to lose than us!
    Quote Quote  

10. -110
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=Geforce;1064664228]KC gains nothing by just cutting Albert. Branden's contract is fully guaranteed and unless he is traded it will cost the Chiefs $9.8+ million whether Albert is on the
    Quote Quote