Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: A Very Simple Look at An Albert Trade

1. -71
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    I know that the Albert potential trade has had a number of threads, posts, and opinions. I believe this is a little different, and worth a new thread. If posters disagree, I will delete it.

For the moment, let's leave the money aspect to Ireland and Dawn to worry about, as there are MANY fans who do not fully understand the cap, and how contracts work. I recall a happier and simpler time when no one had to care.

Supposedly, Albert will cost us a #54 pick. He is a good to VG LT which we need. He is a proven player who is 28, and could be the LT answer for the next 5 years in keeping our franchise (aka Tannehill) on his feet.

We could trade up for Johnson, an athletic young LT with a very high ceiling to be something special. This would cost the #12 pick, the #54 pick, and likely more.

So, who here would trade a proven LT (in Albert) and our top pick (pass rusher, Eifert, potential Pro Bowl OG or DT) for Johnson's potential to be special?

When you put it like that, which is the way it is, anyone making that trade?
    For the moment let's let Dawn and Jeff worry about the picks. Let's imagine Lane refuses to play for anyone but the dolphins and tells everyone that is thinking about drafting him, that he is planning to quit football if he has to play for anyone but us. Then we can pick him up as a undrafted free agent after the draft for league minimum. We can use the 2nd rd pick that some around here wants to waste on an overrated 28 yr old LT that his own team is trying to give away, so THEY can waste a #1 overall pick on to replace.

WHEEEEEEEE this pretend world is a fun place to live. Starting to see why some people like it so much. Kinda like using drugs without the side effects...
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    I hate everyone else in the AFC East

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305 View Post
    1. Houston Texans: Duane Brown 1st Round (8.9 MillPer Yea) (Made The Playoffs)
    2. Cincinatti Bengals: Andrew Whitworth 2nd Round (9.7 Mill Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)
    3. Washington Redskins:Trent Williams 1st Round (10 Mill Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)
    4. Seattle Seahawks: Russell Ogung 1st Round (8 Million Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)
    5. San Francisco 49ers: Joe Stalley 1st Round (7 Mill Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)
    6. Atlanta Falcons : Sam Baker 1st Round (6.8 Mill Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)
    7. Minnesota Vikings : Matt Kalill 1st Round (4.5 Mill Per Year On His Rookie Deal, new CBA Rules) (Made The Playoffs)
    8. New England Patriots: Nate Solder 1st Round (2.1 Million Per Year On His Rookie Deal, new CBA Rules)(Made The Playoffs)
    9. Indianapolis Colts: Anthony Castonzo 1st Round (2.0 Million Per Year On His Rookie Deal, new CBA Rules) (Made The Playoffs)
    10.Denver Broncos : Ryan Claddy 1st Round (9.8 Million Per Year) (Made The Playoffs)

Including the Ravens, with Bryant Mckinnie, all but two playoff teams had a first round Left Tackle!

Green Bay (NewHouse 5th Round)
    Bengals (Whitworth 2nd Round)

So the argument can be made to pass on albert and give up whatever we need in order to get a LT, no matter how much we think it's just not that important.
    This is the most important info of all. Everyone wants to say Albert isn't worth 7mil/yr or a 2nd round pick. Look at that list and how much they get paid, where they were drafted and if their teams made the playoffs. After seeing that list I pray we can get him for a 3rd and a will Beatty contract which by the way was 7.5mil/yr. some of you have delusions that we can just stick anyone over there. Do you notice all the teams with franchise QBs want to protect them? Even GB grab Buluga in the first a few years back. Tackles are important stop thinking they aren't. The professionals show us different.
    Let's go Miami!!!!
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboynemo View Post
    I'd rather sigh Winston and keep all our picks
    I agree, but I don't think that is the plan. We had the chance to sign him before he signed with KC and didn't pull the trigger. I don't think they will now either. Then again if we don't get a tackle in the draft I guess he could be a fall back plan. Not sure why they don't like him but he seems like the best option to me. But then again this FO puts a lot of weight on personality and I have never sit down across a table from him like they have.
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    We Are Still Going To The SB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MIAMI, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadi-Phin View Post
    This is the most important info of all. Everyone wants to say Albert isn't worth 7mil/yr or a 2nd round pick. Look at that list and how much they get paid, where they were drafted and if their teams made the playoffs. After seeing that list I pray we can get him for a 3rd and a will Beatty contract which by the way was 7.5mil/yr. some of you have delusions that we can just stick anyone over there. Do you notice all the teams with franchise QBs want to protect them? Even GB grab Buluga in the first a few years back. Tackles are important stop thinking they aren't. The professionals show us different.
    And Don't forget this little nugget: Last 10 SB Champs..

2013. Baltimore Ravens. Bryant McKinnie (Pro-Bowler)
    2012. New York Giants David Diehl (Pro-Bowler)
    2011. Green Bay Packers Chad Clifton (Pro-Bowler)
    2010. New Orleans Saints Jermon Bushrod (Pro-Bowler)
    2009. Pittsburgh Steelers Max Starx
    2008. New York Giants David Diehl (Pro-Bowler)
    2007. Indianapolis Colts Tarik Glenn (Pro-Bowler)
    2006. Pittsburgh Steelers Marvel Amos Smith (Pro-Bowler)
    2005. New England Patriots Matt Light (Pro-Bowler)
    2004. New England Patriots Matt Light (Pro-Bowler)

So while everyone in here is completely disregarding the importance of the position, our front office is doing their due diligence, to explore our options of making sure we get a good one, because without it, all we have accomplished this off-season may all be for not..
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    Our needs are straight forward: Premier players. With our assets this spring we need to target premier players. I would try to go 2-0, via standing pat at 12 and weighing our options as the early picks played out, and then look to move into the first round, or earlier in the second round, by packaging some combination of 42 and 54 along with other picks.

2-0 is a great day. I've mentioned that before in relation to my betting. We should strive for 2-0. Two premier players, Pro Bowl types. Jim Valvano's think/laugh/cry is a great day and also quite steep. You're adding that extra hurdle.

Albert is not a premier player. It would be the same flawed thought process that we've specialized in for decades. Sloppily patch this hole, just like we're determined to patch the stadium. Far more astute to allow that weakness to remain and hope something falls our way, while making darn sure we give ourselves the best logical and mathematical opportunity to acquire special talent.

Every year you get the crap conventional wisdom that this draft is deep and strong into the late second round, or extends into the mid third round. Whatever. Subjective muck muck that must sound great to type out. Meanwhile, over a long sample the results spit out the same, that first round through early second round provides the greatest opportunity for a Pro Bowl or similar caliber player. We should invest our additional resources in 2013 along those lines. If we trade for this guy Albert, he's a talented pass blocker who was a prime pick several years ago, and in all likelihood has already spent his best years. A self centered player with back issues might surprise on the high end, but it's certainly not the favorite. More likely it's simply another B or B- player instead of C or C+, which doesn't do you any good.

In a short game you might win with a pair of 9s. To win the league, stockpile aces.

In the middle rounds, I would target the positions considered deepest. That is one aspect that seems to hold up. We blew it in the tight end draft a few years ago, and in the wide receiver draft last season we allowed T.Y. Hilton to slip past us, in favor of a tight end, even though there was a well known gap between the top rated tight ends and the next tier.
    Um, I don't see how picking up albert with the 54th pick stops us from drafting two pro bowlers with the 12th and our other second round pick, or being able to move up with our 2nd and one or two of our other picks. You act like trading for albert undoes every move we've made this offseason and would doom our team to a 7-9 season.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

6. -76
    Yippi ka yay mother******!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Um, I don't see how picking up albert with the 54th pick stops us from drafting two pro bowlers with the 12th and our other second round pick, or being able to move up with our 2nd and one or two of our other picks. You act like trading for albert undoes every move we've made this offseason and would doom our team to a 7-9 season.
    Odds, Awsi always refers to betting in his posts which I really like because its a different perspective. You got 5 picks to get 2 special players, take out one of those and your left with 4 picks to get those 2 special players, odds. And by reading his posts, you can tell he's not a big fan of Ireland's odds to go out and get great players.... Maybe Im way off...?
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Orleans/Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305 View Post
    And Don't forget this little nugget: Last 10 SB Champs..

2013. Baltimore Ravens. Bryant McKinnie (Pro-Bowler)
    2012. New York Giants David Diehl (Pro-Bowler)
    2011. Green Bay Packers Chad Clifton (Pro-Bowler)
    2010. New Orleans Saints Jermon Bushrod (Pro-Bowler)
    2009. Pittsburgh Steelers Max Starx
    2008. New York Giants David Diehl (Pro-Bowler)
    2007. Indianapolis Colts Tarik Glenn (Pro-Bowler)
    2006. Pittsburgh Steelers Marvel Amos Smith (Pro-Bowler)
    2005. New England Patriots Matt Light (Pro-Bowler)
    2004. New England Patriots Matt Light (Pro-Bowler)

So while everyone in here is completely disregarding the importance of the position, our front office is doing their due diligence, to explore our options of making sure we get a good one, because without it, all we have accomplished this off-season may all be for not..

Come on now..... even after our little combination you arent going to include where they were all drafted?????

Saying left tackle isnt an important position is naive... but neglecting to show how the SUPERBOWL winning teams are acquiring them is being even more naive. (not directed at anyone personally)

Only Bryant Mckinnie and Tarik Glenn were drafted in the first round out of that list, and Mckinnie won the superbowl with a different team than where he was drafted (vikings) nearly a decade later.

The formula is simple.... draft your LT in the 2nd round or later. NFL is a copycat league.... why not copy what the Superbowl Winners have proven works?
    Quote Quote  

8. -78

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by damanref10 View Post
    Come on now..... even after our little combination you arent going to include where they were all drafted?????

Saying left tackle isnt an important position is naive... but neglecting to show how the SUPERBOWL winning teams are acquiring them is being even more naive. (not directed at anyone personally)

Only Bryant Mckinnie and Tarik Glenn were drafted in the first round out of that list, and Mckinnie won the superbowl with a different team than where he was drafted (vikings) nearly a decade later.

The formula is simple.... draft your LT in the 2nd round or later. NFL is a copycat league.... why not copy what the Superbowl Winners have proven works?
    well this thread is about investing a 2nd round pick into a good LT so whats the problem?
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Orleans/Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
    well this thread is about investing a 2nd round pick into a good LT so whats the problem?
    what kind of extension do you have to give your 2nd round draft pick?
    Quote Quote  

10. -80

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by damanref10 View Post
    what kind of extension do you have to give your 2nd round draft pick?
    Well first of all there are no OTs available in the 2nd round of this year's draft that will come close to Albert's production year one. Agreed? So this season its either Martin, Albert, or one of the top 3 OTs in this draftb which we'll most likely have to trade up for. Agreed? OR we can go along and draft our 2013 starting LT in the 2nd round or higher as you said. Think about it for a second. Look at the players, and then look me in the eyes and tell me Tannehill doesn't get KILLED behind an OL that features bookends J.Martin and a 2nd round pick from this draft. I agree with the point you are trying to make that LT is a position you should be able to fix with a 2nd round+ pick, but that guy wont be starting day one on the left side effectively unless your very very lucky. So the options simply put are:
    1) Albert for a 2nd and a contract
    2) one of the top 3 tackle in this draft for multiple picks
    3) someone from the 2nd round or later.

Im honestly good with 1 and 2, shoot I'd sign Winston and be done with it but the FO(pretty much every team in the nfl) has made it obvious they don't view him as an option. But there's no efffing way option 3 makes any sense at all in this situation, none!
    Quote Quote