Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assembly Passes Leno Bill Taking Illegally Possessed Firearms Off Streets

1. -21
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Again, no new law was passed. The bill is simply allocating money for enforcement of the laws that already exist. Not sure how this is so hard to understand. Prosecutors and police don't have the resources to enforce this stuff (too busy arresting potheads).

And criminals do win. It's so unbelievably easy to get a gun in this country. I wish I could say I'm surprised that people are actually against keeping guns out of the hands of felons and those with dangerous mental illness, but I'm not. We're a country that does absolutely nothing when a bunch of our kids get shot in the face. Nothing. Other than say we should just pray more.
    Good. Enforce the laws we already have. We don't need more. More laws don't stop criminals from getting their hands on a gun. Actually enforcing the current laws would have an impact.

And, I'm glad it's "unbelievably easy" for law abiding citizens to get a gun in this country. It's called the 2nd Amendment. You know, one of our unalienable rights.

As to the doing absolutely nothing when a bunch of our kids get shot in the face ... what new gun control legislation (short of total gun control) would have completely stopped it from happening?

Exactly. It would've happened anyway. Maybe he'd have had to execute a few more magazine changes to accomplish his retarded goal, but it would've happened anyway. It's not like anyone was on scene with the ability to stop him.

But, yeah, lets give another slap in the face to the Bill of Rights anyway. Who cares if it's meaningless, right? At least we'll be able to say that we did "something"
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    The irony is so many people supporting knee jerk reaction for gun control are against any reaction against terrorism. They are all for stripping the 2nd Amendment, but against using current laws that make the terrorist a "traitor" or "enemy combatant"
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Good. Enforce the laws we already have. We don't need more. More laws don't stop criminals from getting their hands on a gun. Actually enforcing the current laws would have an impact.

And, I'm glad it's "unbelievably easy" for law abiding citizens to get a gun in this country. It's called the 2nd Amendment. You know, one of our unalienable rights.

As to the doing absolutely nothing when a bunch of our kids get shot in the face ... what new gun control legislation (short of total gun control) would have completely stopped it from happening?

Exactly. It would've happened anyway. Maybe he'd have had to execute a few more magazine changes to accomplish his retarded goal, but it would've happened anyway. It's not like anyone was on scene with the ability to stop him.

But, yeah, lets give another slap in the face to the Bill of Rights anyway. Who cares if it's meaningless, right? At least we'll be able to say that we did "something"
    Background checks and money allocated to increase the ability to enforce laws already on the books somehow go against the 2nd amendment. Nonsense, but okay. And laws have to be 100% effective in order to exist? Okay, let's drop all laws, because not a single one exists that meets that standard. So, what's your solution to preventing our kids from getting shot in the face on a regular basis? I mean, granted, there's nothing specifically stating that kids have the right not to be shot in the face (I mean, they do have the whole "right to life, liberty, etc." but that was the declaration of independence, so it doesn't count. Plus, a kid shot in the face could survive), but can we agree that we don't want our kids getting shot in the face? Is that a reasonable place to start? Do we agree on that much?

So, is it video games? Lack of religion? I mean, certainly you have the same regard for the 1st amendment as you do for the 2nd? So no doubt you are against ensuring underage kids can't buy violent video games. That would require checking IDs, which apparently infringes on the rights of the video game makers from getting their views or whatever out as quickly as possible. Can't have that. Certainly you are extremely upset about the parental warnings these companies are forced to put on their product.

What is it about this country that is so different from every other "civilized" nation that makes it okay for our kids to get shot in the face FAR FAR FAR more than any other country? And make no mistake about it, this country is absolutely okay with it. Our actions, or lack of them, speak much louder than our candlelight vigils and 1-800 donations numbers.

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flynryan15 View Post
    The irony is so many people supporting knee jerk reaction for gun control are against any reaction against terrorism. They are all for stripping the 2nd Amendment, but against using current laws that make the terrorist a "traitor" or "enemy combatant"
    I agree but I think that goes both ways. There's also a good amount of people that are pro 2nd amendment, yet they supported the Patriot Act.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    I agree but I think that goes both ways. There's also a good amount of people that are pro 2nd amendment, yet they supported the Patriot Act.
    Not this guy
    Quote Quote  

6. -26

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Background checks and money allocated to increase the ability to enforce laws already on the books somehow go against the 2nd amendment. Nonsense, but okay. And laws have to be 100% effective in order to exist? Okay, let's drop all laws, because not a single one exists that meets that standard. So, what's your solution to preventing our kids from getting shot in the face on a regular basis? I mean, granted, there's nothing specifically stating that kids have the right not to be shot in the face (I mean, they do have the whole "right to life, liberty, etc." but that was the declaration of independence, so it doesn't count. Plus, a kid shot in the face could survive), but can we agree that we don't want our kids getting shot in the face? Is that a reasonable place to start? Do we agree on that much?

So, is it video games? Lack of religion? I mean, certainly you have the same regard for the 1st amendment as you do for the 2nd? So no doubt you are against ensuring underage kids can't buy violent video games. That would require checking IDs, which apparently infringes on the rights of the video game makers from getting their views or whatever out as quickly as possible. Can't have that. Certainly you are extremely upset about the parental warnings these companies are forced to put on their product.

What is it about this country that is so different from every other "civilized" nation that makes it okay for our kids to get shot in the face FAR FAR FAR more than any other country? And make no mistake about it, this country is absolutely okay with it. Our actions, or lack of them, speak much louder than our candlelight vigils and 1-800 donations numbers.
    First of all, it doesn't happen on a regular basis.

However, I see only two ways to realistically limit/prevent these occurrances ...

1) Remove ALL firearms from private citizens in our society.
    2) Remove the gun-free zones from our society that create "soft targets"

#1 - Not gonna happen. Annihilation of the 2nd Amendment = Civil War 2.0 ... American gun owners will not stand for that.
    #2 - Ever notice how few crazies walk into police stations or gun stores to shoot the place up? No, they go places where they know that they're the only ones armed. Then mysteriously, when the cops show up, they tend to off themselves. Let me carry in my school, the **** would get stopped right quick. And, before someone says, "Great, let the kids have guns too" or some bs like that ... children already aren't allowed to own firearms, so if they're carrying then it's just another example of people who don't follow the laws anyway.

Why do something just to do something? If it could actually make a difference, most of us wouldn't be bitching so much about it. But, since we see no realistic positives from these measures, we resist them because we view them as stupid knee-jerk reactions that will ONLY inconvenience law abiding Americans.

However, we've gotten WAAAY off track ITT ... IMO, prosecutors need to re-prioritize what they think is important. Get illegal weapons from violent felons? Sure, go for it. Do it when you convict them. Yet, somehow, they need more money to go back and do the job they should have already done?
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Love my kids, 420 and foosball

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i don't think we need more gun laws.

i think if you take all the "shootings that get everyone's panties in a bunch", you know, from columbine ball the way to sandy hooks, etc, and look at the number of people that died or were hurt, that number pales in comparison to those killed in everyday city violence, usually perpetrated by the criminal element. you know, those robbing people, stores, houses, carjackings, drug violence, gang violence, etc. there are literally thousands of these gun deaths every year across america. why isn't anyone up in arms about these people getting guns and shooting up the place? that's where the problem is, in my opinion.

that's where i think the stand needs to be made. these people buy their guns on the street, where there's never any background checks, paperwork of any kind, taxes, records of sales, etc.

there will always be crazy people willing to take a stand of some kind, whether it be at a school, movie theater, mall, church, etc. most of these will be "legal" guns, but again the number of these deaths, while horrific and sad, are a drop in the bucket when compared to "random type violence" caused by, usually illegal firearms. you know, saturday night specials, firearms stolen from legal owners, things like that.

why isn't anyone complaining about these deaths that happen everyday in virtually every city in america?

oh that's right, there are laws, police arrest people, but they're back on the street that night, buying more illegal weapons, to get into more trouble. maybe we ought to spend more time taking the criminal element out of society, permanently, instead of making more laws.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmax13 View Post
    i don't think we need more gun laws.

i think if you take all the "shootings that get everyone's panties in a bunch", you know, from columbine ball the way to sandy hooks, etc, and look at the number of people that died or were hurt, that number pales in comparison to those killed in everyday city violence, usually perpetrated by the criminal element. you know, those robbing people, stores, houses, carjackings, drug violence, gang violence, etc. there are literally thousands of these gun deaths every year across america. why isn't anyone up in arms about these people getting guns and shooting up the place? that's where the problem is, in my opinion.

that's where i think the stand needs to be made. these people buy their guns on the street, where there's never any background checks, paperwork of any kind, taxes, records of sales, etc.

there will always be crazy people willing to take a stand of some kind, whether it be at a school, movie theater, mall, church, etc. most of these will be "legal" guns, but again the number of these deaths, while horrific and sad, are a drop in the bucket when compared to "random type violence" caused by, usually illegal firearms. you know, saturday night specials, firearms stolen from legal owners, things like that.

why isn't anyone complaining about these deaths that happen everyday in virtually every city in america?

oh that's right, there are laws, police arrest people, but they're back on the street that night, buying more illegal weapons, to get into more trouble. maybe we ought to spend more time taking the criminal element out of society, permanently, instead of making more laws.
    BINGO! Enforce the laws we already have.
    Quote Quote