Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sparano To Jets "Made You Throw Up In Your Mouth"- Trent Dilfer

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daphne, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TealAttack13 View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...d-mind-in-2012

Some harsh words about our former head coach.

I was interested to get your takes on this.

Here is mine:

Sparano took a 1-15 team and led them to an AFC East Championship. Given, there was no Brady that year, but that still doesn't kill the fact that he did it. Chad Pennington was not the same Chad in '09, which was a huge reason for our downfall (and until this year we never had a TRUE #1 QB). The team simply wasn't as good, and Ireland and Ross did very little to help Tony out. The team finished 7-9 each of the following seasons. Black and White answer is to blame the coach, and maybe some of it was his fault, but certainly not all of it. I believe that had the team really tried to build off of the '08 run, they would have seen more success under Sparano (not that I mind him gone, I like Philbin more).

The Jets hired a guy who had experience in the division and had coached one of their biggest rivals. He knew the wildcat better than anyone, which is what made the Jets successful in the years they went to the AFC Championship. You can't blame them for wanting to get back to that style of play.

Is Tony a great coach? No. Is Tony an awful coach? I don't believe so. I feel the comment is a tad bit harsh. You are punching a guy in the pants over two and a half poor seasons, in which he had little talent due to (what seemed like) a clueless GM, and an owner who couldn't care less. All of this after leading a big comeback year. I'm not looking to live in the past, nor am I saying that 1 year forgives all of the losing, but I certainly don't believe it was ALL Tony's fault. You want to place the blame somewhere, let it fall on Mark Sanchez alone. This guy throws the ball to no one, and hopes it falls incomplete. He constantly makes poor calls on the field, and has lost control of the locker room because of it.

What do you all think about this comment towards our former coach?
    I think you're WAY too nice too Sparano. If you remember how the '08 season ended - it was the same as how the '09 season started. Teams figured out that if that CP couldn't throw downfield to save his life so they loaded up front and we couldn't run and we couldn't do the short passing game. You give him credit for the Wildcat but he really didn't do that - that was Coach Lee. In fact one the constants of Sparano-coached teams was a hideously slow start every year including the year we did win the division. You can say that Sparano might not be responsible for the offense but when Henning actually FINALLY retired he actually hired an OC even worse than Henning. He had no clue.

In terms of Sanchez, I think he really isn't very good. His "success" was mostly based on his running game and defense and he really didn't have to do much to win games. Junc might be happy with him but I really don't think many others are. Having said that - what the whole front office did in terms of bringing in Tebow (this isn't a bash on him) was guaranteed to be a distraction to a QB that already was in trouble. Not genius to say the least. Is it his fault that Sanchez isn't good? No. Did he make Sanchez even worse. Sure looks like it to me.

I can't imagine if I was a fan of any team and I heard that my team named Tony Sparano as a coach - I think "throw up in my mouth" might be one real possibility!
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by registeredguy View Post
    He's probably a good offensive line coach but he was promoted far past his level of competence.

He was a BAD head coach. Period.
    Tony was not ready for prime time. I realized it a lot more after seeing Philbin in action.

I really blame Parcells more than Tony.
    Bill thought he could plug and play his cronies and then just leave them hanging when they were clearly over their heads.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    the annual ritual

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    in a bottle
    Thanks / No Thanks
    tony the field goal tiger belongs coaching offensive lines in junior high school, at best... with Omar covering the team.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tony is right there with Richie Kotite as the biggest buffoon to be handed a head coaching job in the NFL. He's a dim bulb at best.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sparano tried his best for the most part, but wasnt cut out for the job. He tried and it didnt work out. He got his shot and failed. Its that simple.
    ______________ ________________
    *********Here's what happened the last time we traded for a Coach ******************* Lets do it again!! *************
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It was funny! He worked out for the Jests as we all thought he would!
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    kind of funny after the 2008 season the majority of people on this board couldnt heap enough praise on Sparano. I remember people being upset that Mike Smith won coach of year over him.
    Now 5 years later he is basically a joke. The jets biggest mistake was letting Shott a decent coordinator go for a guy who has never been an OC and mentality is really not made for it. It also didnt help that they didnt improve wr to help their qb .

The worst thingt that could have happened is them dumping Sparano for a decent oc which they did.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starting to hear voices

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was completely astounded that someone would hire Sparano as an OC.
    JMB
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lah, lah land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He was put in a bad situation, BP brought him in to be his puppet. When BP realized his style of play is no longer effective in the NFL he left and left TS out to dry.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I feel like we just went back in time.........
    Quote Quote