Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sparano To Jets "Made You Throw Up In Your Mouth"- Trent Dilfer

1. -31
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    funny enough reading the article, during the season Dilfer had been on radio talking about how Sparano was a proven OC and Sanchez was the reason he wasn't opening the playbook.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you really pay attention to it all...and I mean it ALL...You will quickly come to the conclusion the NFL coaching scene is just one big Family wheel spinning Joe & Jim Blow from here to there with the teams that are not successful. The "Haves" keep theirs with the occasional exception of the assistant who goes for a HC job *(See Philbin). If the Guy does well he is set for a while...If he goes all Sparano he is placed back onto the wheel and it gets a good hardy price is right spin to see where he lands but make no bones about it...He lands right back on NFL payroll.

Said all that to say Sparano could not coach up a circus monkey but he is set for life in the NFL because he is "vested"...
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I do agree with OP that the 7-9 seasons shouldn't be Completely on Sparano (See: Ross, Ireland, Henning, Chad Henne, etc.)

However, Sparano has struggled immensely as a head coach and OC -- IMO he doesn't understand how to manage an offense at all, let alone his offensive line.
    Not only is he Not a good coach, but he's stubborn as all hell, and when the fans start booing, he 180's and starts making roster changes, scrambling to see if something will work.

I think he directly contributed to the Jets terrible season last year. Again, can't blame just him. They have a bad GM, stubborn Rex Ryan, Sanchez, no WR's outside of santonio holmes, and Tebow as a media distraction.
    However, I don't think he commanded any of the offense to play better than they are (if anything, they played worse) and the results clearly showed.

tl;dr: Can't just blame Tony, but Tony is indeed pretty terrible.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melrose, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    kind of funny after the 2008 season the majority of people on this board couldnt heap enough praise on Sparano. I remember people being upset that Mike Smith won coach of year over him.
    Now 5 years later he is basically a joke. The jets biggest mistake was letting Shott a decent coordinator go for a guy who has never been an OC and mentality is really not made for it. It also didnt help that they didnt improve wr to help their qb .

The worst thingt that could have happened is them dumping Sparano for a decent oc which they did.
    Actually the "funny" thing is how many people, including prominent members of this forum, supported him after the 2010 season. They may as well have been on Sparano's payroll given their loud-mouthed support of the man, and I hope they got a cut of the money Ross paid him to basically fall flat on his face in 2011. Love the arguments that were thrown around at the time-- "he's a winning coach, just look at his record"; "he gives us the best chance to win in 2011"; "he's a great motivator and he'll really get the team on track now that it's playoffs or bust." It was bust all right.

Sparano was the worst coach this team has endured in the post Shula/Marino era, by far.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bellingham, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The success of the 2008 Dolphins was all due to Chad Pennington falling on their laps just before the season started. To win Super Bowls in today's NFL you either need a great QB or a great team with a good QB but you sadly enough you can win many games and even come out with a plyoff berth if you have a QB who doesn;t blow games for your team. Chad Pennington has many well documented short comings but he seldom blows games by himself, Chad Henne on the other hand does.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phin-o-rama View Post
    I remember laughing so hard at NYJuNk trying to defend the hire lolol
    If you recall I said I had no idea what to expect from him, I gave him a chance. He failed but it's hard to blame any OC w/ the healthy talent we had.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami,Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    If you recall I said I had no idea what to expect from him, I gave him a chance. He failed but it's hard to blame any OC w/ the healthy talent we had.
    We had Sparano here for five years, we knew he was going to be horrible for you guys, just saying. Sparano era set us back another five years. Now philbin is a whole different monster, this guy gets it. Miami under philbin in 2 yrs will be exciting unless Ireland foks everything up.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goonies View Post
    We had Sparano here for five years, we knew he was going to be horrible for you guys, just saying. Sparano era set us back another five years. Now philbin is a whole different monster, this guy gets it. Miami under philbin in 2 yrs will be exciting unless Ireland foks everything up.
    you had him as a HC, that's different.

what you guys are saying about philbin now is the way you talked about Tony a few years ago. Philbin appears much better but now he has some pressure to win, let's see what happens.
    Quote Quote