Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Albert situation illogical/concerning

1. -21
    Student of the Game

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannchise View Post
    doesn't anyone believe Long wasn't healthy enough to earn that money?
    Albert missed only like 4-5 games in his career and 3 were this year towards the end. He had back spasms but no real injury. Long tore his triceps this year, his back put him on IR last year, Shoulder surgery I believe, and twice almost screwed up his knee bad this year and 2010 in preseason.

Long was just too risky.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by kmev827 View Post
    So Ireland lets Long walk because his asking price was too high. Then he pursues a trade for Albert presumably for 2nd rounder. Now, most recent report is that Albert trade won't happen unless his asking price comes down. Yet Albert is set to make over $9 mill this year with KC. So why would Ireland think that Albert's asking price would be any less than Jake Long type money? (This will get a bit wordy if I try to further explain why this makes no sense but I would guess most get the point).

So on one hand, Ireland is saying, we can afford no Long becuase we have a better and/or cheaper plan. But then goes after Albert, not better or cheaper.

This suggest to me, we have no clear plan for LT. Jonathan Martin is not viewed as a viable option. And, in turn, we have no real plan for the draft because our entire draft plan depends on LT.

The whole thing makes no sense. It screams of impulsive rather than thought out planning. I hope I'm wrong.
    He did NOT let Long walk!!! Did you follow the story at all? Long choose to walk...and i believe for less money as well, the plan was to resign him all along

SUPER EPIC TOUCHDOWN FAIL OF ALL TIME
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    At this point i would put Albert on hold until after the draft.
    If we are unable to get a tackle then restart negotiations and offer next years 2nd (or less)
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Lets get those balls deep!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    the world
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think we are toying with kc. they have to wait on what we do, if we keep Albert in talks then jump out on him we have kc in a real pickle come draft day
    "hey atleast I'm housebroken!"
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It could also be that the FO didnt see Long as a "fit" for the ZBS, and his injury history and recent production as enough to pay him what he got paid. Albert is a much better fit for the ZBS and is still young at 29, to deserve that money. He may not be as good as Long, but he has been healthy and is a "fit" which is more important. This will allow Martin to stay at RT, and a PROVEN LT to jump right in. Unlike the rookies who may be cheaper, but ARENT proven, and have to get used to the NFL speed, etc.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305 View Post
    e

So we just probably had the best off-season of any team. But yet somehow because we are attempting to improve the team since one of the top left tackles in the league is available, you somehow want to convince us we have no clue on what we are doing. If we had no plan and acting on impulse, we would have already sent our 1st round pick to the Chiefs and sign Albert 12 per year contract. The way things are developing it's quite the opposite of how you are presenting it. This is one of the few times in recent memory we have all the leverage. Base on all the facts, our front office are conducting themselves as such..

Ireland attempted to sign Long, but St. Louis was willing to offer him more guaranteed money. We've already given Jake close to 50 Million dollars. We made him the highest paid OT in NFL history. We wanted him back on our terms, similar to what we are doing with the Chiefs and Albert.

We have all the leverage in the world, the rest of the league is now on our terms, nothing this past off-season has scream impulsive at all, and I highly doubt this Albert situation is going to be the first..
    Not quite....Albert IS NOT an elite left tackle, he was not even ranked in the top ten of 32 starting left tackles last year.

This deal will not happen in my opinion for the very reason that Albert is guaranteed 9Mill+ by staying where he is, and I don't believe we will pay that much for a player of his ability, also sacrificing the 54th pick in a deep draft.

The prudent move in my opinion is hoping Lane Johnson falls to 12 or close to it, we could get as high as 8 utilizing one of our 3rd round picks.

If he doesn't fall, the backup plan should be Eric Winston (moving Martin to left tackle). We could draft an Armstead or someother tackle later in the draft.

Utilize the 12th pick for the best player available.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

7. -27
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman529 View Post
    To me this whole thing is posturing and "playing chicken." The Phins hold all the cards here. If Albert thinks he is getting "Jake Long money," than he is either very naive or he is the type of guy who cannot accept that he is not worth what he thinks he is worth. We can hold out though, as KC is in a bind...they have to draft Joeckel, so that leaves them with an extra LT, who doesn't want to go back there. So Albert eventually has to wake up and accept less, or go back to KC. Me personally, I would tell Albert and KC that we have the intention to sign Winston to play OT, and they have until Thursday morning to take it or leave it.
    ^This. Couldn't have said it any better.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman529 View Post
    To me this whole thing is posturing and "playing chicken." The Phins hold all the cards here. If Albert thinks he is getting "Jake Long money," than he is either very naive or he is the type of guy who cannot accept that he is not worth what he thinks he is worth. We can hold out though, as KC is in a bind...they have to draft Joeckel, so that leaves them with an extra LT, who doesn't want to go back there. So Albert eventually has to wake up and accept less, or go back to KC. Me personally, I would tell Albert and KC that we have the intention to sign Winston to play OT, and they have until Thursday morning to take it or leave it.
    The obvious "smart" decision for Albert is get the Dolphins to overpay him, or stay in KC another year at 9+ Million and get paid next year. We don't hold all the cards.

I think we should give Winston a deadline of thursday to sign a friendly deal to Miami....or fill the hole in the draft.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree. Albert better make a deal before the draft or he won't get a deal. I think it's all about playing chicken with him and we are in the drivers seat.

Quote Originally Posted by s70pimp View Post
    I would try to wait this out as long as possible. We don't really know what will happen until pick 11. Someone might slide. Like someone mentioned, we hold all the cards on this one.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Illogical to you because you don't know whats actually happening. Concerning because you have a false perspective. It will pass once everything happens and you realize there was no need for concern.
    Quote Quote