Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Albert situation illogical/concerning

  1. -1
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    22
    vCash:
    1128
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Albert situation illogical/concerning

    So Ireland lets Long walk because his asking price was too high. Then he pursues a trade for Albert presumably for 2nd rounder. Now, most recent report is that Albert trade won't happen unless his asking price comes down. Yet Albert is set to make over $9 mill this year with KC. So why would Ireland think that Albert's asking price would be any less than Jake Long type money? (This will get a bit wordy if I try to further explain why this makes no sense but I would guess most get the point).

    So on one hand, Ireland is saying, we can afford no Long becuase we have a better and/or cheaper plan. But then goes after Albert, not better or cheaper.

    This suggest to me, we have no clear plan for LT. Jonathan Martin is not viewed as a viable option. And, in turn, we have no real plan for the draft because our entire draft plan depends on LT.

    The whole thing makes no sense. It screams of impulsive rather than thought out planning. I hope I'm wrong.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    CRAZYDOLFAN305's Avatar
    We Are Still Going To The SB

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    4,826
    vCash:
    2057
    Loc:
    MIAMI, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmev827 View Post
    So Ireland lets Long walk because his asking price was too high. Then he pursues a trade for Albert presumably for 2nd rounder. Now, most recent report is that Albert trade won't happen unless his asking price comes down. Yet Albert is set to make over $9 mill this year with KC. So why would Ireland think that Albert's asking price would be any less than Jake Long type money? (This will get a bit wordy if I try to further explain why this makes no sense but I would guess most get the point).

    So on one hand, Ireland is saying, we can afford no Long becuase we have a better and/or cheaper plan. But then goes after Albert, not better or cheaper.

    This suggest to me, we have no clear plan for LT. Jonathan Martin is not viewed as a viable option. And, in turn, we have no real plan for the draft because our entire draft plan depends on LT.

    The whole thing makes no sense. It screams of impulsive rather than thought out planning. I hope I'm wrong.
    e

    So we just probably had the best off-season of any team. But yet somehow because we are attempting to improve the team since one of the top left tackles in the league is available, you somehow want to convince us we have no clue on what we are doing. If we had no plan and acting on impulse, we would have already sent our 1st round pick to the Chiefs and sign Albert 12 per year contract. The way things are developing it's quite the opposite of how you are presenting it. This is one of the few times in recent memory we have all the leverage. Base on all the facts, our front office are conducting themselves as such..

    Ireland attempted to sign Long, but St. Louis was willing to offer him more guaranteed money. We've already given Jake close to 50 Million dollars. We made him the highest paid OT in NFL history. We wanted him back on our terms, similar to what we are doing with the Chiefs and Albert.

    We have all the leverage in the world, the rest of the league is now on our terms, nothing this past off-season has scream impulsive at all, and I highly doubt this Albert situation is going to be the first..
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    ikkonz's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    29
    vCash:
    1083
    Thanks / No Thanks
    To be honest, I think the real reason we weren't willing to pay Jake Long the same amount of money that we're thinking of giving Branden Albert is because we didn't know how much cap space we would have at the end of our free agency spend or how our offensive line would be shaping up. Its hard to believe that if given the chance now we wouldn't give Jake Long the money and save the draft pick. However, you can't look back at the past, whats done is done. We should just be asking if giving up our 2nd and giving money to Albert would be a good value for us based on our CURRENT roster. I for one don't like the fact that we're thinking of giving big money to another lineman and I'd rather just go young through the draft, but then again I'm definitely no OL expert.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Roman529's Avatar
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    33,733
    vCash:
    10858
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    To me this whole thing is posturing and "playing chicken." The Phins hold all the cards here. If Albert thinks he is getting "Jake Long money," than he is either very naive or he is the type of guy who cannot accept that he is not worth what he thinks he is worth. We can hold out though, as KC is in a bind...they have to draft Joeckel, so that leaves them with an extra LT, who doesn't want to go back there. So Albert eventually has to wake up and accept less, or go back to KC. Me personally, I would tell Albert and KC that we have the intention to sign Winston to play OT, and they have until Thursday morning to take it or leave it.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    sixzero's Avatar
    Why not Us?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2004
    Posts:
    690
    vCash:
    2743
    Loc:
    Currently Stationed Overseas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    All apart of the plan... smoke screen for the draft. Don't get too emotional on every report you read. It will all unfold soon enough.
    COME ON' RYAN!!!
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    5,474
    vCash:
    9127
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kmev827 View Post
    So Ireland lets Long walk because his asking price was too high. Then he pursues a trade for Albert presumably for 2nd rounder. Now, most recent report is that Albert trade won't happen unless his asking price comes down. Yet Albert is set to make over $9 mill this year with KC. So why would Ireland think that Albert's asking price would be any less than Jake Long type money? (This will get a bit wordy if I try to further explain why this makes no sense but I would guess most get the point).

    So on one hand, Ireland is saying, we can afford no Long becuase we have a better and/or cheaper plan. But then goes after Albert, not better or cheaper.

    This suggest to me, we have no clear plan for LT. Jonathan Martin is not viewed as a viable option. And, in turn, we have no real plan for the draft because our entire draft plan depends on LT.

    The whole thing makes no sense. It screams of impulsive rather than thought out planning. I hope I'm wrong.
    I understand your frustration, but let's slow our roll just a bit. If we are having this conversation this time next week and we don't have another OT on the team, then I am right there beside you. This does feel a bit like last year when we thought for sure we were going to get another WR. We didn't and all the plans fell through. The season was affected, but last year was a little different. We knew we were not going any where last year. This year we have a few more pieces in place.

    This year everyone in the free world knows the fins need a OT. We still have lots of options and there are at least 4 OTs in the draft, that could come in and start day one (Armstead is a LOT better than Martin was last year) and we still have the option of trading for Fat Albert. So take a breath and hang on for another 5 days. If you wake up Saturday morning and we don't have another OT on the team, you can join what will then be a long list of threads about A). how we don't have a OT, and B). how our new uniforms are the worst in the history of the universe (yes there will be some of those just because no matter how great it looks, ya can't please everyone. And people like to vent what they hate more than they like to discuss what they like).
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    tay0365's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    8,218
    vCash:
    7998
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305 View Post
    e

    So we just probably had the best off-season of any team. But yet somehow because we are attempting to improve the team since one of the top left tackles in the league is available, you somehow want to convince us we have no clue on what we are doing. If we had no plan and acting on impulse, we would have already sent our 1st round pick to the Chiefs and sign Albert 12 per year contract. The way things are developing it's quite the opposite of how you are presenting it. This is one of the few times in recent memory we have all the leverage. Base on all the facts, our front office are conducting themselves as such..

    Ireland attempted to sign Long, but St. Louis was willing to offer him more guaranteed money. We've already given Jake close to 50 Million dollars. We made him the highest paid OT in NFL history. We wanted him back on our terms, similar to what we are doing with the Chiefs and Albert.

    We have all the leverage in the world, the rest of the league is now on our terms, nothing this past off-season has scream impulsive at all, and I highly doubt this Albert situation is going to be the first..
    Well said.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    massi20's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    922
    vCash:
    1147
    Loc:
    Long Island, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think they are just waiting for Albert to lower his price just a little more. Then we can sign Albert and with the 12th pick take that guard from North Carolina. I think his name is Cooper. The one who is the best interior line prospect in years. I've seen some videos and I've never seen a guard pull so well. With Albert on the left, Incognito, Pouncey, Cooper, and Martin, we would be set on the Oline for years.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2012
    Posts:
    498
    vCash:
    3241
    Thanks / No Thanks
    doesn't anyone believe Long wasn't healthy enough to earn that money?
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2005
    Posts:
    155
    vCash:
    1663
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by massi20 View Post
    I think they are just waiting for Albert to lower his price just a little more. Then we can sign Albert and with the 12th pick take that guard from North Carolina. I think his name is Cooper. The one who is the best interior line prospect in years. I've seen some videos and I've never seen a guard pull so well. With Albert on the left, Incognito, Pouncey, Cooper, and Martin, we would be set on the Oline for years.
    I like your optimism, but the amount of times I've heard over the years after drafting a lineman that 'we will be set for years' I would be a rich man! Didn't we say that about Long and company and so the years passed.

    As far as I'm concerned you draft a skill set player in the 1st round and pick up the meat to block in the later rounds, not the other way round.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Cap Situation - If Dolphins trade for LT Branden Albert
    By fisi in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 01:06 PM
  2. Replies: 150
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 11:08 AM
  3. If our QB situation has the same result as our coaching situation...
    By vagrantprodigy in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 02:48 PM
  4. JT Situation Similar to the Kobe Situation?
    By QrtBck13 in forum The Depths of the Sea
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 02:15 AM
  5. Giving Up on Saban Illogical
    By Ghetti13 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 05:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •