Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry Jackson: Dolphins one of 10 teams to attend DJ Hayden's private workout

1. -1
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Barry Jackson: Dolphins one of 10 teams to attend DJ Hayden's private workout

### A week after summoning Houston cornerback D.J. Hayden to team headquarters, the Dolphins were one of 10 teams to attend his private on-campus workout today. The Dolphins really like Hayden, as well as Alabama’s Dee Milliner, Boise State’s Jamar Taylor and a few other corners.

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock said Hayden is the best cornerback in the draft and worthy of the 12th pick. Mel Kiper says he’s more of a borderline first-rounder; he also puts Taylor in that category.

### The Dolphins have summoned a few small school players to team headquarters, including Chadron State offensive tackle Garrett Gilkey, who intrigues them as a guard prospect who can play some tackle…. Miami has called about or spent time with several of the draft’s top fullbacks, such as Harvard’s Kyle Juszczyk and Richmond's Kendall Gaskins. The Dolphins like incumbent Jorvorskie Lane, but he will probably get competition in camp.

The Jets were also at the workout (no word yet on the other eight teams). As has been widely reported, Rex Ryan was the only head coach in attendance. The Jets have so many holes it's impossible to guess who they'll pick, but you have to think Hayden is at least on the short list at both of their 1st round picks (though Rex's influence on the team seems to be waning). In other words, if you want him, you have to use #12 on him. Which I wouldn't have a problem with at all (though I rate Milliner higher).

FWIW, the Dolphins have shown interest in Hayden throughout the process. There's no word who exactly we sent to this workout of Hayden's, but our assistant secondary coach -- Blue Adams -- attended his pro day back in March.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    AFC EAST CHAMPS

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let me be the first to....WELCOME TO MIAMI DJ THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR COVERING HALF THE FIELD!!!
    I cannot wait to see him in the new unis.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    I'm all in for hayden at 12... him, tank carradine or bjoern werner. those are the guys I want at 12.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Captain Wine Cooler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Miami has certainly been showing a lot of interest in Hayden. He visited the team HQ just over a week back. Perhaps a wildcard for our twelfth pick.

Gil Brandt reported there were fifteen teams there today, so somebody has bad information. Brandt listed the 49ers, Eagles, Buccaneers, Ravens and Saints as some other teams that were in attendance.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfin View Post
    Miami has certainly been showing a lot of interest in Hayden. He visited the team HQ just over a week back. Perhaps a wildcard for our twelfth pick.

Gil Brandt reported there were fifteen teams there today, so somebody has bad information. Brandt listed the 49ers, Eagles, Buccaneers, Ravens and Saints as some other teams that were in attendance.
    Interesting. The 10 teams figure was the first one released last night. I looked for more info and came up dry. If Brandt says 15 teams, that's probably more likely to be correct.

The variations in picks represented by the teams known to be at his workout so far is also intriguing. 9th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 31st, 32nd. All over the place. The Eagles have 4th but more likely they're interested at 35. Like a lot of these guys, I don't think the teams know exactly where he's going.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Captain Wine Cooler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Interesting. The 10 teams figure was the first one released last night. I looked for more info and came up dry. If Brandt says 15 teams, that's probably more likely to be correct.

The variations in picks represented by the teams known to be at his workout so far is also intriguing. 9th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 31st, 32nd. All over the place. The Eagles have 4th but more likely they're interested at 35. Like a lot of these guys, I don't think the teams know exactly where he's going.
    Tony Pauline reported recently there are some teams that have red flagged Hayden because of the injury, which means they won't touch him in the first round. But he does say that most teams haven't red flagged him, it's only a small number that have. So you can probably rule out a handful of teams based on that.

I can certainly see Hayden being a top fifteen pick. Pauline reported some teams are grading him on the same level as Stephon Gilmore, who went #10 overall to the Bills last year. At worst, I'd say Hayden is a top 20-25 pick based on what I'm reading. So if Miami wants him, it'll have to be at #12, or in a trade back into the first round scenario.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfin View Post
    Tony Pauline reported recently there are some teams that have red flagged Hayden because of the injury, which means they won't touch him in the first round. But he does say that most teams haven't red flagged him, it's only a small number that have. So you can probably rule out a handful of teams based on that.

I can certainly see Hayden being a top fifteen pick. Pauline reported some teams are grading him on the same level as Stephon Gilmore, who went #10 overall to the Bills last year. At worst, I'd say Hayden is a top 20-25 pick based on what I'm reading. So if Miami wants him, it'll have to be at #12, or in a trade back into the first round scenario.
    I would assume most teams that have red flagged him weren't even there. Watching him running around in shorts isn't going to tell you anything about how long it takes a sternum to heal.

What tells me more than anything that he's moved solidly into the first round is that the talking heads are really starting to move him up their boards (besides McShay, who I think had him there a while ago). These guys talk to teams and have contacts, and when I see a guy move up late in the process that usually tells me they're getting their word from their guys in the league on where certain guys who've been undervalued by the media are going to go. None of these guys want to look like Kiper did when Jimmy Clausen fell like a stone on draft day.

Mayock in particular has a history of these late game moves; McCoy overtaking Suh at the last minute, Earl Thomas over Eric Berry, now Hayden over Milliner and Fisher over Joeckel (to name a few). Now in each of those cases the guy rated higher throughout the process actually went higher (a trend I expect to continue), but it gives me an insight into what these guys are hearing. Fluker's another guy who's made a late charge as we've gotten closer to draft day, where Cordarrelle Patterson on the other hand has fallen.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He would be sick across from grimes and Marshall in the slot.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Hayden is fine at 12. I have said since this process started that Dee Milliner is overrated...most overrated in the draft. Plus, Rhodes is not that far behind.

Hayden, Trufant and Taylor will all prove to better than these two. Mark it down.

BTW, how scary is Milliner's injury rap sheet now. Yikes. No thanks!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    Hayden is fine at 12. I have said since this process started that Dee Milliner is overrated...most overrated in the draft. Plus, Rhodes is not that far behind.

Hayden, Trufant and Taylor will all prove to better than these two. Mark it down.

BTW, how scary is Milliner's injury rap sheet now
    . Yikes. No thanks!
    It only sounds scary because we don't have full medical histories on the other guys. NFL people apparently don't think it's that big a deal:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...medium=twitter

Not to mention, nothing that's happened to Milliner is 1,000th as scary as what happened to DJ Hayden.
    Quote Quote