Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barry Jackson: Dolphins one of 10 teams to attend DJ Hayden's private workout

1. -11
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Im okay with Hayden at 12 as well...and I think if the FO wants him they better plan on taking him at 12. However, they could also go elsewhere at 12...then move back into the first around 12 and one of Hayden, Rhodes, or Trufant would still be there most likely. I honestly could see this playing out in so many different ways...cant wait to see how it does
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "Scariness" isn't really an issue for teams to worry about. Talking about how "scary" the injuries are is a red herring. Watch this hand flourish while the other hand slips a card out from a sleeve.

You have to frame Hayden's injury in real terms, not vague ones. Doctors have gone on record saying that he's at no more risk of tearing the vein than he was the first time, which was like a one in a billion chance. Just one of those freak things. Veins accumulate scar tissue when they've been injured like that, so the vein in the spot where it was torn is stronger than it was before.

However, he got his sternum opened up so they could operate. It should heal fine but it will take time. I know at least one person here on the board says he played football after he got his sternum operated on and he said he didn't feel quite the same the season after he had it done, and only felt fully back the year after that. I've heard several medical opinions now, here and elsewhere, saying full recovery off having the sternum sawed open like that does take a little bit. A little more than a year.

To me that frames his situation in very FAMILIAR terms. It's like an ACL injury. Classically with an ACL you may come back that first year after the surgery but you're not supposed to feel quite the same, generally speaking. Sometimes you're a freak like Adrian Peterson and it doesn't matter. Most times it does affect you at least a little. But by the second year, you're good as new. The difference here is that unlike with the ACL injury, the risk of re-injury is not elevated with Hayden's torn vein. Nor is there significant risk to his other ligaments as he over-compensates for the injury, which is something you often see in guys with torn ACLs.

So in a way...yeah Dee Milliner's accumulation of injuries, no matter how "not scary" they may seem...could be more pertinent. Those injuries accumulate and affect you long term. Even when you're "healthy" you've still got modified training routines and you're doing certain exercises to compensate for the damage to your soft tissues. There may permanently be things you just can't do anymore that you used to be able to do, movements that will never be as crisp or explosive as they once were, etc. Hayden's injury won't be like that.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    "Scariness" isn't really an issue for teams to worry about. Talking about how "scary" the injuries are is a red herring. Watch this hand flourish while the other hand slips a card out from a sleeve.

You have to frame Hayden's injury in real terms, not vague ones. Doctors have gone on record saying that he's at no more risk of tearing the vein than he was the first time, which was like a one in a billion chance. Just one of those freak things. Veins accumulate scar tissue when they've been injured like that, so the vein in the spot where it was torn is stronger than it was before.

However, he got his sternum opened up so they could operate. It should heal fine but it will take time. I know at least one person here on the board says he played football after he got his sternum operated on and he said he didn't feel quite the same the season after he had it done, and only felt fully back the year after that. I've heard several medical opinions now, here and elsewhere, saying full recovery off having the sternum sawed open like that does take a little bit. A little more than a year.

To me that frames his situation in very FAMILIAR terms. It's like an ACL injury. Classically with an ACL you may come back that first year after the surgery but you're not supposed to feel quite the same, generally speaking. Sometimes you're a freak like Adrian Peterson and it doesn't matter. Most times it does affect you at least a little. But by the second year, you're good as new. The difference here is that unlike with the ACL injury, the risk of re-injury is not elevated with Hayden's torn vein. Nor is there significant risk to his other ligaments as he over-compensates for the injury, which is something you often see in guys with torn ACLs.

So in a way...yeah Dee Milliner's accumulation of injuries, no matter how "not scary" they may seem...could be more pertinent. Those injuries accumulate and affect you long term. Even when you're "healthy" you've still got modified training routines and you're doing certain exercises to compensate for the damage to your soft tissues. There may permanently be things you just can't do anymore that you used to be able to do, movements that will never be as crisp or explosive as they once were, etc. Hayden's injury won't be like that.
    I think it's reasonable to assume that an elite athlete like Hayden will heal faster than normal. You look at how quickly he was able to leave the hospital, how quickly he rebuilt his body. This is not a normal person. None of these guys are normal. But that's as far as it goes, though, "reasonable." You have to assume the worst, especially since I have no idea how "fully" it has to be healed for him to practice or play. Can he go at 80%? Or do you have to wait for 100? What do guys with bruised sternums do to get ready to play? Is there a pad?

I'd like to think somebody has the answer on this but I'm not sure anybody does. It's a singular injury, football-wise. Which makes me think whatever team drafts him is going to be extra cautious.

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rochester, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I hope DJ Hayden is the pick at 12. He is my favorite player in this draft.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i don't know...a torn labrum, a knee, a stress fracture, and a hernia are things that have to make you wonder about milliners shelf life to some extent...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

6. -16

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the other thing is we need ball skills at the cb position...and i wonder about dee milliners to be honest...high end corners when you make a mistake and throw the ball to them they make you pay...we didn't have that with sean smith despite his wr background all he did was frustrate in that regard...get some damn ball skills and playmaking at the position...

taking in all milliners medical the fact that the ball skills bother me and that i think he's a pretty good step down from patrick peterson and claiborne as a prospect give me vontae davis all over again phsyical tools wise and hits like a mack truck but clean off the field fast riser dj hayden...

if it's corner haydens the guy i would choose...
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As an athlete, he does remind you of V. Davis. Davis' problem was never a lack of athleticism.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    As an athlete, he does remind you of V. Davis. Davis' problem was never a lack of athleticism.
    exactly...davis problem is b/t his ears...haydens got high round 1 tools...explosive quick acceleration and burst to the ball...closing speed...fires out of his pedal and comes forward like shot out of a cannon...

a little lighter than vontae but very similar skills and physical makeup...
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Fin fan in hostile territory

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wouldn't mind Hayden at 12. It seems at 12 we're either reaching with most of picks people are thinking (Hayden, Eifert, Warmack, Rhodes) or they won't reach us at 12 (Johnson, Milliner, Cooper) so that's kind of a wildcard heading into the draft.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would go Rhodes. I watched this guy as a Freshman learn from his mistakes (OK game) and come back to blanket his side of the field the rest of his time at FSU. Total beast, and is physical enough to do press man.
    Quote Quote