Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Describe your draft philosophy

1. -1
    In Dawn We Trust!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thanks / No Thanks

Describe your draft philosophy

Obviously, none of us are making the decisions for the Dolphins, but let's pretend we are. What is your draft philosophy? For me, I have no problem taking risks. So, if they traded up for someone like Ezekiel Ansah or even Dee Milliner, I wouldn't mind. I don't believe in trading up for tackles. If someone falls to us, great. If they don't, I'm opposed to trading up. I'm also not opposed to trading next years first rounder, for the right person. Describe your draft day philosophy.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My first priority would be playmakers!
    I'd pick like this playmaker, Need, need, bpa, bpa, bpa, bpa.
    If that make sense.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Student of the Game

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    philosophy #1: If there is a QB that's my guy I'm picking him no matter what.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Toronto Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My draft strategy would be to get tannehill weapons
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    character, work ethic, football IQ, EYEBALL TEST

you can be a playmaker, but without these, you dont last LT.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    the annual ritual

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    in a bottle
    Thanks / No Thanks
    in this draft my philosophy would be to get both Cooper and Eifert somehow. also, i'd try to trade lower picks to get back into 2nd and 3rd rounds.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am drafting BPA regardless of need. When you draft strictly for need you often reach. I would rather have too much talent at one given spot than a mediocre player at a position of need. I can always trade away my talented player for a position of need later on after the draft or after the season has started. In this draft I am looking for impact players! IF Austin is the real deal I would draft him. If they like Eifert and they can drop down & get him--then I would trade down a little and get him. I like DJ Hayden over Dee Miliner and would not trade up to get Milliner when I probably could trade down and get Hayden. I would rate all the players and see who is the BPA at my pick AND if it is also a position of need--I would make them my pick. Otherwise I would always look to trade down and NEVER EVER fall in love with anyone player. Falling in love with a player is a receipt for reaching for that player.
    ALRIGHT MIAMI
    Dunaway, Swift, Fernandez, Buonticonti, Den Herder
    NO NAMES taking NO PRISONERS!
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think this draft I would go high risk and trade down.Now that san fran has made it known they would trade up.Take their 1(31) 2(34) 5(157)

So you could call it 3 late first round picks or 3 Top second round picks.Along with 2 3rd round picks.

So we would look like this 31,34,42,77,82,111,146,(157from sanfran),166,217,224,250
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ALWAYS draft OFFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS FIRST. They are the rarest, and the most common to be busts. Do it until you have as many good ones as you need at basically EVERY offensive position. You can get OL and defense in later rounds and they are everywhere.

DEATH to "inside-out", defense-minded football. That's why we've been mediocre for 2 decades. The 9ers got it right. Offense Offense Offense. Draft like we hired Harbaugh.

BPA in rounds 4-7.
    Last edited by iwastherein72; 04-23-2013 at 02:44 AM.
    Ryan Tannehill. Ah, what a relief. Life is good.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Best player available so long as it makes sense.

The only position i would reach for is quarterback. And im of the opinion that franchise quarterbacks are never a "reach", they are either franchise material or not. After that, i would begin drafting for talent. Need wouldnt play more then a small role, thats what free agency is for.
    Now, the "makes sense" thing is key. If there are two players who are of equal talent and background and one plays a critical position and the other doesnt, i would of course take the critical position player. There would also be some positional "weight". If i had a tackle rated slightly above a defensive end, i would take the defensive end. A guard would have to be significantly better then everyone else available for me to take him high.

As well, i would take chances with trading up. Id make it a priority to trade back into the end of the first round. With the new CBA, its beyond affordable and first round picks have longer contracts. Yes, id have to eat picks but getting a good player for a year longer then "normal" would be absolutely worth it.

Oh, and finally, id almost never trade away my talented players for less then i paid for them.

Terrorist attack count against the Anything Goes Thread: 2
    Quote Quote