Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't understand why so many people are wanting a TE?

1. -11
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The more offensive targets Tannehill has to choose from, the quicker he can get rid of the ball. With more options, we won't need Tannehill to stand in the pocket for 5 seconds (or however long an elite NFL OLine can hold up protection).

OTOH, if we have an elite Line but not enough weapons, Tannehill will have to wait for someone to open up.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEBACKRICKY View Post
    Right, 12 may be a bit high for Eifert but the parallels to Gronk are definitely there. Eifert's combine numbers are almost the same and I would definitely classify him as an athletic freak.

I'm not so hot on McDonald. It's tough to teach someone how to catch the ball better since it relies on a lot of innate abilities. Eifert has great hands and anticipation. I'm not saying we should definitely take Eifert but I would rather take Eifert at 12 than spend a second round pick on McDonald.
    I can't disagree with you on that. I think he's a prime target if we trade down to the low 20s (Eifert).
    Last edited by FearTheBeard; 04-23-2013 at 01:45 AM.

Sign: Daryn Colledge
    Draft: 1. LB Ryan Shazier 2. OL Joel Bitonio 3. WR Donte Moncrief 4. OL Brandon Thomas 5. OT Laurent Duvernay Tardif 6. RB Bo Oliver 7. TBD

LT Albert LG Smith C Pouncey RG Colledge RT Bitonio
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Superbowl MVP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    College Station, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grushcow View Post
    I can't disagree with you on that. I think he's a prime target if we trade down to the low 20s.
    Todd McShay has Eifert going 6 overall to the Browns in his most recent mock. I dont see that happening but I dont think Eifert gets past 17. Getting him at 12 is reaching for him based on prior drafts but theres going to be a team out there that won't mind taking him early because he brings a unique skill set to the offense. It'll be justified if he can turn into a 75+ reception per year TE.
    God Bless Palestine
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Eifert and Im fine with him at 12. With all of the weapons we have on offense...we are still missing a true red zone win option and thats what we would expect him to bring. However, Gronk he is not. He is on my short list at 12...but not my first pick. I prefer Kelce in the 2nd...the off-field issues are there but if he checks out the kid is a stud. If I recall NU did a breakdown of TEs and Kelce had a ridiculous YAC average of over 10 yards...and it wasn't some small sample size it was like 40 catches. That is what we need.

Also, Fauria is a forgotten man at this point to many. But you could get him in the 4th, heck maybe 5th round and he is the epitome of a red zone threat. He high points the ball very well and has pretty good athleticism for his massive size...even if you don't like him as an every down TE he could bring some serious value as a red zone threat IMO
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Elite tight ends are the guys like Graham and Gronk. Athletic freaks who make plays in the red zone and beat you down the seam. Eifert is a backend first round guy, the one guy I see who has the traits of a Gronk is Vance McDonald, he's got that extra gear, but his hands are ****. He's the guy I would roll the dice on in round 2 if we did.
    Gronk is an athletic freak but Eifert isn't? You're delusional.
    Combine results:
    Eifert
    40 time - 4.65
    Bench - 22 reps
    Vertical leap - 35.5"
    Broad jump - 9'11"
    Shuttle - 4.32
    Cones - 6.92

Gronkowski
    40 time - 4.68
    Bench - 23 reps
    Vertical leap - 33.5"
    Broad jump - 9'11"
    Shuttle - 4.47
    Cones - 7.18

You can't say Eifert doesn't deserve the pick because of his athleticism, that's completely idiotic. Just because he doesn't run a 4.3 like Vernon Davis doesn't mean he can't be a great TE...
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If people don't realize we have lost 2-4 games per year over the past 5 years because of a lack of redzone production then they should just stop watching football because there is no helping them.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by antillj94 View Post
    Gronk is an athletic freak but Eifert isn't? You're delusional.
    Combine results:
    Eifert
    40 time - 4.65
    Bench - 22 reps
    Vertical leap - 35.5"
    Broad jump - 9'11"
    Shuttle - 4.32
    Cones - 6.92

Gronkowski
    40 time - 4.68
    Bench - 23 reps
    Vertical leap - 33.5"
    Broad jump - 9'11"
    Shuttle - 4.47
    Cones - 7.18

You can't say Eifert doesn't deserve the pick because of his athleticism, that's completely idiotic. Just because he doesn't run a 4.3 like Vernon Davis doesn't mean he can't be a great TE...
    No where did you see me say I don't think he's gonna be a great TE....12 is just too high for me. I don't really care how the guys test, Eifert obviously isn't a poor athlete and is a pretty impressive one but Gronk also did all of that 15 pounds heavier and after being out all year with an injury. He also went in the second round. I peg him in the early 20s and a trade with the Vikings is where I'd like to see us land him. I don't look at Eifert as the seam buster that Graham and Gronk are, but I still like him in the early 20s.

I have him in a trade down going to us at #23, so it's not like I don't like him.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by COMEBACKRICKY View Post
    Todd McShay has Eifert going 6 overall to the Browns in his most recent mock. I dont see that happening but I dont think Eifert gets past 17. Getting him at 12 is reaching for him based on prior drafts but theres going to be a team out there that won't mind taking him early because he brings a unique skill set to the offense. It'll be justified if he can turn into a 75+ reception per year TE.
    McShay's being crazy. We're his ceiling but if he gets by the Giants and we were to trade down with Minny he's my pick at #23.
    Last edited by FearTheBeard; 04-23-2013 at 01:46 AM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Elite tight ends are the guys like Graham and Gronk. Athletic freaks who make plays in the red zone and beat you down the seam. Eifert is a backend first round guy, the one guy I see who has the traits of a Gronk is Vance McDonald, he's got that extra gear, but his hands are ****. He's the guy I would roll the dice on in round 2 if we did.
    So if you could have Gronk oor grahm you wouldnt use a first on them?But your willing to take a crapshoot Watch Eiferts tape and you will be soldin 2nd on a lesser guy with**** hands?
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by joeylats View Post
    So if you could have Gronk oor grahm you wouldnt use a first on them?But your willing to take a crapshoot Watch Eiferts tape and you will be soldin 2nd on a lesser guy with**** hands?
    I would obviously take one of those guys in the first, I was smashing my head against the wall when we passed on Graham. And I do watch the tape, I think the other 2 had more upside coming out and they went in the 2nd. That's why pegging him as a low 20 prospect his hardly pushing it. I mentioned McDonald because on the move he reminds me of Gronk. In the case we stick at our pick I'd draft a pass rusher and maybe go TE in the second, part of the reason I don't like Eifert at 12 is because I don't think we need a TE as bad as we need guys who are gonna help us in the passing game (namely pass rushers). So ya I'd bypass Eifert, mostly based on the fact it's going to be hard to grab a solid rusher in the second round where there's less depth. With all that said if we can't move down and we don't take a pass rusher and Tavon's off the board I would have no issue if Eifert were the pick.

It's not so much that I have any issues with Eifert, just like the depth at the position too.
    Last edited by FearTheBeard; 04-23-2013 at 12:51 AM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JRYCRL View Post
    We need to shore up the OL and CB positions first and foremost. We have Dustin Keller and Charles Clay. We do not have a very good OL and it would be a shame if Ryan T was running for his life instead of having time to find Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Bess, Keller or Clay. That's SIX offensive skill receivers not including Matthews who I thought was fairly decent in his time last year. Only skill guy I take is Austin because he can score every single time he touches the ball. Other than that, I take 2 OL's and 2 CB's with our first 4 picks.
    1- we lack a red zone threat and Eifert will be stellar in that regard

2- with the ousting of Mastrud and Fasano and the procuring of Keller it is abundantly clear what kind of tight end Philbin wants

3- the league rules are made for stud TE's....of which we have none

4- Eifert is pound for pound in many peoples estimations the best skill position player in this draft.
    Quote Quote