Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Eifert?

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Are you a VIP?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

Why Eifert?

I don't get the push by fans for TE. Just not a position of need after signing Keller. Right now we have greater positions of need like offensive line, Corner, Safety, and more pass rush. This is not a knock on the guy just don't see using a pick this high on this position. If Tannehill doesn't have time to throw then it really won't matter who is on the receiving end.
    BREAKING NEWS ALL OFFSEASON LONG!
    FOLLOW FINHEAVEN ON TWITTER!

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Lost in the fog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fans are thinking Eifert could be a dominant TE, like a Gronkowski or Graham. Keller, while a very athletic and capable TE, is kind of a "regular" TE compared to this new breed of "beast" TE. Also he'd be a bona fide red zone threat, something we're not rich in.

That being said, we do have other more pressing needs, I agree. But if you have a chance to grab an elite player vs. good player at a position of need, it's best not to pass up the elite guy (IMHO). I'll be satisfied if Eifert is the pick but won't be devastated if he's not.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    Fans are thinking Eifert could be a dominant TE, like a Gronkowski or Graham. Keller, while a very athletic and capable TE, is kind of a "regular" TE compared to this new breed of "beast" TE. Also he'd be a bona fide red zone threat, something we're not rich in.

That being said, we do have other more pressing needs, I agree. But if you have a chance to grab an elite player vs. good player at a position of need, it's best not to pass up the elite guy (IMHO). I'll be satisfied if Eifert is the pick but won't be devastated if he's not.
    Exactly this. Also, Keller isn't signed long. Eifert would be a long-term answer. He's a willing blocker too

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Are you a VIP?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Elite?? I think assuming he will be another Gronk is a huge assumption. He should be good, but You still have to protect the QB.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wheatland, WY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gears of War tagPlaystation LogoCam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by fin-atic View Post
    Elite?? I think assuming he will be another Gronk is a huge assumption. He should be good, but You still have to protect the QB.
    Yes and we have spent how many picks all ready with this strategy and still do not have it right. Time to do something different.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Lost in the fog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fin-atic View Post
    Of course you cant assume anything, but if you're looking for the next Gronk, chances are it will be the guy who's the highest-rated TE prospect in a few years. He's elite as far as TE prospects go.

To put my use of the word into perspective, there doesn't appear to be "elite" talent at CB and WR in this draft, though there is much depth at those positions and some players that could end up being quite good.

As for protecting the QB, I'm with you. I'd rather our first-rounder didn't go towards a guard though, elite as Cooper or Warmack may be...
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    Of course you cant assume anything, but if you're looking for the next Gronk, chances are it will be the guy who's the highest-rated TE prospect in a few years. He's elite as far as TE prospects go.

To put my use of the word into perspective, there doesn't appear to be "elite" talent at CB and WR in this draft, though there is much depth at those positions and some players that could end up being quite good.

As for protecting the QB, I'm with you. I'd rather our first-rounder didn't go towards a guard though, elite as Cooper or Warmack may be...
    Elite?? I mean he is very good, great body control, really good hands and size, but I don't think you can call him elite, not like Vernon Davis elite. Davis is a 4.3 guy, Eifert is a 4.66, almost 4.7, that is a different world. He isn't the great down field threat that some seem to think, Keller is a 4.5 guy. Tyler will be a great redzone threat, which is really what we need, but Tyler won't be running away from LBs. That isn't who he is.

To gain some perspective, Terron Armstead the 6-5, 306 lb LT from Pine Bluff ran a 4.65 40.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    Elite?? I mean he is very good, great body control, really good hands and size, but I don't think you can call him elite, not like Vernon Davis elite. Davis is a 4.3 guy, Eifert is a 4.66, almost 4.7, that is a different world. He isn't the great down field threat that some seem to think, Keller is a 4.5 guy. Tyler will be a great redzone threat, which is really what we need, but Tyler won't be running away from LBs. That isn't who he is.

To gain some perspective, Terron Armstead the 6-5, 306 lb LT from Pine Bluff ran a 4.65 40.
    And Rob Gronkowski ran a 4.68.

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    If not Eifert then Tavon Austin. Both would make solid contributions. Obviously Eifert serves more of a need but echoing the thought that if you have the opportunity for a special player, you make that pick over need. More often then not, drafting for need winds up in failure.
    More often than not, drafting period ends up in failure.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

40 times won't determine his value with the Fins. He would give RT a third down option and in the red zone, he opens up all kinds of options.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Davis is a 4.3 guy, Eifert is a 4.66, almost 4.7, that is a different world. He isn't the great down field threat that some seem to think, Keller is a 4.5 guy. Tyler will be a great redzone threat, which is really what we need, but Tyler won't be running away from LBs. That isn't who he is.

That is all correct. But, just to add a tad more perspective, Keller is the same speed as Hartline, maybe a tad slower, and Keller can't block, and doesn't have great hands, and is on a 1 year contract. The team doesn't see Keller as the answer, nor do I.

Eifert has excellent length and lift and is solid enough to not get pingponged in the air. He tracks the ball well, adjust to the ball in flight well, and catches the ball in traffic well. He isn't blazing fast, but he is as fast or faster than most LB's while also being taller and longer than them. Down the seam he is exceptional because he is a mismatch for just about everyone. LB's in coverage are all smaller than him and most are slower. DB's are shorter and far less physical. The kid takes hits from safeties and comes down with the ball unfazed. Sure, there are a handful of guys like Dion Jordan that can cover him down field, but if he causes a team to take a Dion Jordan out of the pass rush, Eifert has done his job.

Tyler Eifert is a great mismatch weapon, and if you think about how and where to use him, you start to get very excited about having him in the offense, even if his speed isn't elite, because the player is a difference maker.
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote