Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shefter: Fins Looking To Move DOWN (not up)

1. -1
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks

Breaking Shefter: Fins Looking To Move DOWN (not up)

from PFT

Draft boards are set by this point.
    That means all thatís left is the jockeying for position.
    Adam Schefter of ESPN points out what seems obvious in a draft with no sure things, that about half the top 12 want to move down.
    Schefter specifically mentioned the Eagles (fourth), Lions (fifth), Browns (sixth), Bills (eighth) and Dolphins (12th) as having made calls trying to trade down.

If thatís the case, the law of supply and demand is about to kick in, making it harder for any of them to get the kind of return theyíd normally want, if anyoneís even willing to move up to the spots they occupy.

geno and idzik have done the impossible: make jets fans wish the tanny/sanchez days were here again > Darksider, Jetnation

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    GOOD. I'd rather move down than move up....as long as we move down into late teens/early 20s and can pickup an early 2nd and 3rd...draft is DEEP this year
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Guessing we try and trade down and then maybe also try and trade back in at the end of the first round if we really like someone still on the board. Ireland should be active.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Well, I hope they know Eifert won't get past the Jets...if that's who they really want, they should stay put.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    I could see them moving down for Hayden.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You have to keep all options in play....moving up and moving down.

If you can move up cheap, guys like Joekel, Fisher and Johnson are options....but only if price is right.

If you can't and those guys are off the board, moving back and still being able to pick up Hayden, Werner etc also looks really good, while being able to get another draft pick. Then they can use that draft pick and potentially jump back into the end of Round 1 or high in Round 2 is another guy they like is still there (maybe Jamar Taylor?).
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    In Dawn We Trust!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Making calls doesn't mean it's going to happen. It doesn't even mean that's what they want to do. It just means that they're doing they're research in order to see where things would stand if that's what they wanted to do.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    with 2 days before the draft, they are going to float all kindsa information to these "reporters" and half the time the reporters are doing nothing more than we are, speculating... do you think jeff doesn't remember what happened when he traded out of the 12th spot last time? we aren't trading down in the first, and I doubt we trade up. The only trade up I see in our future is if we trade up to get back into the 1st.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we get austin or Eifert idc.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Why not Us?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Currently Stationed Overseas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thanks for posting Vaark. I just recently mentioned something similar in another thread and believe this report. The 1st round is not deep with any stars per say but it is deep in OL which is not a sexy position. So naturally teams want to put themselves in a position to draft the Tavon Austins and Eifferts and be justified for making those selections. If the Chiefs love Tavon Austin they can't select him #1 because that would be unjustified or if the Bills want G. Smith they can trade down and still acquire him late in the 1st and it would make complete sense.

The only question Ireland needs to ask himself is if he believes there is a player that will start from day #1 from a position of "need" at the #12 spot. I think this is what it comes down too. If there is then we stay put (if there are no trade down partners) and select that player at #12 and go with Fat Albert in the 2nd round. But that's only if there are no other OT he covets when we're on the clock.

In my humble opinion, I don't believe Ireland is thrilled with the idea of trading up to get one of the three top OT in the draft simply because he didn't budge on the Jack Long deal. This would secure out biggest position of need this year but it will undue all the great efforts he's made in acquiring all of these draft picks for this year. It would also validate the opinion of many that he mismanaged the Jake Long negotiations and undervalued the LT position in the offseason. I don't believe that was the plan...

He knows it would be beneficial to pull the trigger and move up but that is why Fat Albert is so desirable at this point... He can get an equally talented Tackle when compared to Jake Long that will do the job and still keep the rest of his draft picks to play with. Not too mention, securing Albert would also help with our motives in trading down. Acquiring Albert, while not appealing to many on the board, me included might be necessary to continue the front offices' off-season game plan they've developed.

As we move towards the draft this week, let's not fool ourselves, OT is the biggest need right now. Ireland does not want to go into the new season knowing he mismanaged the Jake Long negotiation, didn't have the guts to trade up, and did not pull the trigger on Fat Albert. This is the worst case scenario and one that would have us starting the season with J. Martin at LT and most likely J. Jerry at RT or another OL drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round. I know that as of right now, many of us wouldn't mind this because we are getting excited about potentially adding star power but when we see R. Tannehill on his back as many times as J. Cutler or T. Romo and our two young Running Backs can't pass the line of scrimmage we will all be calling for Irelands head on a platter (again). And the Jake Long negotiations will continue to haunt Ireland.
    COME ON' RYAN!!!
    Quote Quote