Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: History's jury is still out on George W. Bush

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

OPINION History's jury is still out on George W. Bush

[QUOTE]On Thursday, President Obama and former presidents Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton are due to attend the grand opening of President George W. Bush's presidential library and archive in Dallas, Texas.
    The opening of the library offers an opportunity to think again about the legacy of the Bush presidency. As Obama and the former presidents look around the museum, they will see many exhibits that symbolize how the jury is still out on most of the major issues. Events in the coming years will play a huge role in how history is likely to remember Bush's White House

There are four big questions about his presidency.
    1. How effective and how just were Bush's counterterrorism policies?
    2. What is the long-term impact of Bush's fiscal policies?
    3. Did federal education standards improve the nation's schools?
    4. What was the result of engaging in pre-emptive wars?

These are just some of the open questions that historians, journalists and the public will be looking to answer. The Bush library offers one approach, mostly reflecting the views of his supporters, but Americans will debate the impact of those controversial eight years for a long time.
    [/QUOTE

]http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/23/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t4
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Sopwith Camel Pilot

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think having Obama following him will soften the bashing. History will reflect some of the worst 16 consecutive years have been experienced under those 2.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    I think having Obama following him will soften the bashing. History will reflect some of the worst 16 consecutive years have been experienced under those 2.
    agree, the ironic part is some of the people that hate obama were big bush supporters and some of the people who hated bush are obama supporters. these presidents are almost identical in their big spending, military policy.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Sopwith Camel Pilot

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    agree, the ironic part is some of the people that hate obama were big bush supporters and some of the people who hated bush are obama supporters. these presidents are almost identical in their big spending, military policy.
    I voted for Bush then Obama, but only because the alternative was so much worse. One can only wonder if the Supreme Court voted 5-4 in favor of Gore, how much difference, if any, there would be.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    I voted for Bush then Obama, but only because the alternative was so much worse. One can only wonder if the Supreme Court voted 5-4 in favor of Gore, how much difference, if any, there would be.
    Monumental difference. I think about it pretty often, actually. I think we'd be pioneers in green energy if Gore had been granted his rightful victory. I can't say 9/11 wouldn't have happened, but I can confidently say we would have never gone into Iraq. That alone would have left our economy in a much better place. The housing bubble would probably have still burst, but would it have been as bad without so many resources tied up in the middle east? Of course Gore would have had problems unique to him that we never saw with Bush, but it definitely would have been different. Better is a matter of opinion, but different without a doubt...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Monumental difference. I think about it pretty often, actually. I think we'd be pioneers in green energy if Gore had been granted his rightful victory. I can't say 9/11 wouldn't have happened, but I can confidently say we would have never gone into Iraq. That alone would have left our economy in a much better place. The housing bubble would probably have still burst, but would it have been as bad without so many resources tied up in the middle east? Of course Gore would have had problems unique to him that we never saw with Bush, but it definitely would have been different. Better is a matter of opinion, but different without a doubt...
    I don't agree with this at all. Gore would have done the same as Bush, maybe even done more when it comes to Iraq. This is the guy that claimed Iraq had a nuclear program when he was the VP. Gore is no different than any other politician, maybe he's even more of a slime ball really. Massage anyone?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    you mean the election he did everything in his power to try to steal

Also Gore would of expedited the recession. I still think 9/11 happens but i do agree that we never go into Iraq which i believe was a monumental mistake
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Really depends on how much weight you attach to some of the relatively recent "declassified" information and how much weight you think Gore would have attached to those screaming about the upcoming collapse(who many considered to be the fringe). Having been in the White House during the Oklahoma City and the '96 Olympic bombings i dont think its out of line to conclude Gore would have had a ear towards a terrorist strike against America, if for no other reason then political liability. Housing bubble probably would have exploded in his face. Assuming he got reelected of course.

I have a few questions i could ask about this subject, but one got lodged in my head:

How different would it be if a left leaning Surpreme Court Justice was appointed instead of Roberts?
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

9. -9

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    you mean the election he did everything in his power to try to steal

Also Gore would of expedited the recession. I still think 9/11 happens but i do agree that we never go into Iraq which i believe was a monumental mistake
    How so? Gore won the popular vote Nationally, and in Florida. It took Supreme Court intervention to stop the counting in Florida. That's why it's still a major point of contention to this day. Had Bush won the popular vote in Florida, there would still be fringe people talking about it, but no where near the number of people there still is. By all accounts, Gore won in 2000 and it was taken from him by the Supreme Court...
    Quote Quote  

10. -10

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Really depends on how much weight you attach to some of the relatively recent "declassified" information and how much weight you think Gore would have attached to those screaming about the upcoming collapse(who many considered to be the fringe). Having been in the White House during the Oklahoma City and the '96 Olympic bombings i dont think its out of line to conclude Gore would have had a ear towards a terrorist strike against America, if for no other reason then political liability. Housing bubble probably would have exploded in his face. Assuming he got reelected of course.

I have a few questions i could ask about this subject, but one got lodged in my head:

How different would it be if a left leaning Surpreme Court Justice was appointed instead of Roberts?
    I didn't want to get into it since it's such a contentious topic, but I actually don't think Bin Laden succeeds in his attack had Gore been President. I personally think if anyone else but Bush was President at that time, the attacks don't happen. You're right about the recently declassified documents. It looks like it was known an attack was being planned and the Bush administration just didn't take it seriously. All of this is my personal opinion, but I can't say for sure which is why I said I can't say whether or not the attack still would have happened.

Things would be hugely different, and I think we'd have a very VERY pissed right leaning population. A left leaning judge would give the Supreme Court a liberal bias, probably making things like gay marriage and abortion rights a slam dunk if sent up. I much prefer the current set up with 4 lefties, 4 righties, and a moderate. Studies show that decision made with both supporting and dissenting views tend to have the best outcomes. As much as I'd like a left-leaning Supreme Court, I think it's in the U.S.'s best interest to have the current set up. Except Scalia. **** that guy. Can't wait until he retires. Replace him with a rightie who actually doesn't have his head up his ass...
    Quote Quote