Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: History's jury is still out on George W. Bush

1. -11
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    How so? Gore won the popular vote Nationally, and in Florida. It took Supreme Court intervention to stop the counting in Florida. That's why it's still a major point of contention to this day. Had Bush won the popular vote in Florida, there would still be fringe people talking about it, but no where near the number of people there still is. By all accounts, Gore won in 2000 and it was taken from him by the Supreme Court...

How do you figure Gore won the popular vote in Florida? Bush won the popular vote in Florida, Gore won it nationally. In fact it was recounted a number of times in Florida in which Bush won each time. Gore kept wanting to have the votes recounted until the numbers suited him and they never did. After he failed in that attempt he only wanted to do hand recounts in the three most democrat voting counties(broward, Miami-dade and Palm Beach) He wanted only those counties to do a recount because since they had the most votes for him he figured he had the chance of getting the outcome he wanted. The recounts in those three counties were lead my democrats who arbitrarily decided what counted as a vote...note the whole hanging chad controversy. Gore also tried to get the late military vote not to be counted since he knew it would of been mostly of Bush. He quickly withdrew from that when the public was outraged he would even try it

After the date passed, by law, in which all votes needed to be counted and recognized, the state of florida did the right thing by using what the last recount showed which was Bush winning Florida. Gore didnt like that outcome so he brought it to Court. The first Judge, a democrat, ruled that Gore had no case. The law in Florida was the law even though Gore was trying to change it. In fact, it was funny how silly Bushes attorney made gores team look in the trial. The vast majority of people, democrats and republicans alike, thought Gore was just being a sore loser. The Sore Loserman bumper stickers were a big hit.

The case went to appeals and Gore lost. It than went to a radical florida supreme court who tried to legislate from the bench. The US Supreme court voted unanimously to overturn their original ruling. When it went back, an all democrat florida supreme court ruled in favor of gore by one vote to initiate a recount. The US supreme court than struck it down. At no point ever did Gore win the Florida popular vote. He kept trying and trying to get the votes he needed by changing the laws and by fixing the voting process but it never occurred. I was living down the street from the Broward county court house during this and saw the protestors. There might of been one guy for Gore for every 20 for Bush. The vast majority knew Gore was trying to steal the election. In fact a book was written about it in detail

http://www.amazon.com/At-Any-Cost-Tr.../dp/0895261227
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How so? Gore won the popular vote Nationally, and in Florida. It took Supreme Court intervention to stop the counting in Florida. That's why it's still a major point of contention to this day. Had Bush won the popular vote in Florida, there would still be fringe people talking about it, but no where near the number of people there still is. By all accounts, Gore won in 2000 and it was taken from him by the Supreme Court...
    Not to mention the thousands of people who were denied a vote because their name was merely similar to a known felon's.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    Not to mention the thousands of people who were denied a vote because their name was merely similar to a known felon's.
    lol .... please.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    How do you figure Gore won the popular vote in Florida? Bush won the popular vote in Florida, Gore won it nationally. In fact it was recounted a number of times in Florida in which Bush won each time. Gore kept wanting to have the votes recounted until the numbers suited him and they never did. After he failed in that attempt he only wanted to do hand recounts in the three most democrat voting counties(broward, Miami-dade and Palm Beach) He wanted only those counties to do a recount because since they had the most votes for him he figured he had the chance of getting the outcome he wanted. The recounts in those three counties were lead my democrats who arbitrarily decided what counted as a vote...note the whole hanging chad controversy. Gore also tried to get the late military vote not to be counted since he knew it would of been mostly of Bush. He quickly withdrew from that when the public was outraged he would even try it

After the date passed, by law, in which all votes needed to be counted and recognized, the state of florida did the right thing by using what the last recount showed which was Bush winning Florida. Gore didnt like that outcome so he brought it to Court. The first Judge, a democrat, ruled that Gore had no case. The law in Florida was the law even though Gore was trying to change it. In fact, it was funny how silly Bushes attorney made gores team look in the trial. The vast majority of people, democrats and republicans alike, thought Gore was just being a sore loser. The Sore Loserman bumper stickers were a big hit.

The case went to appeals and Gore lost. It than went to a radical florida supreme court who tried to legislate from the bench. The US Supreme court voted unanimously to overturn their original ruling. When it went back, an all democrat florida supreme court ruled in favor of gore by one vote to initiate a recount. The US supreme court than struck it down. At no point ever did Gore win the Florida popular vote. He kept trying and trying to get the votes he needed by changing the laws and by fixing the voting process but it never occurred. I was living down the street from the Broward county court house during this and saw the protestors. There might of been one guy for Gore for every 20 for Bush. The vast majority knew Gore was trying to steal the election. In fact a book was written about it in detail

http://www.amazon.com/At-Any-Cost-Tr.../dp/0895261227
    We'll have to disagree on this one. If you bring in all the voting blocks that were thrown out, disenfranchised, etc, it isn't even close. But this is a debate for another thread. I think we can all agree the U.S. would be a pretty different place now had Gore taken the Presidency...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We'll have to disagree on this one. If you bring in all the voting blocks that were thrown out, disenfranchised, etc, it isn't even close. But this is a debate for another thread. I think we can all agree the U.S. would be a pretty different place now had Gore taken the Presidency...
    Well ill dispute that point but i agree, its an old debate that ive done too many times and have no desire to really get into again. It was 13 years ago. But yes, i would agree the US would be a totally different place for better or worse.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well ill dispute that point but i agree, its an old debate that ive done too many times and have no desire to really get into again. It was 13 years ago. But yes, i would agree the US would be a totally different place for better or worse.
    I'll just say this then. A lot of votes were discounted for a lot of stupid reasons (chad fiasco, faulty voter purge, & the halting of the full recount). Far more than the margin of victory. It's impossible to know what the actual vote was/would've been but by most accounts it was elderly and minority voters that got the short end of the stick.

Maybe in Gore's mind he was trying to "steal" the election but at the end of the day it was the Court that decided to stop the full recount with perhaps the most asinine reasoning in its history.

lol .... please.
    Please what?
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'll just say this then. A lot of votes were discounted for a lot of stupid reasons (chad fiasco, faulty voter purge, & the halting of the full recount). Far more than the margin of victory. It's impossible to know what the actual vote was/would've been but by most accounts it was elderly and minority voters that got the short end of the stick.

Maybe in Gore's mind he was trying to "steal" the election but at the end of the day it was the Court that decided to stop the full recount with perhaps the most asinine reasoning in its history.
    The state did do full recounts. Each time Bush won.
    Last edited by Harry_Bagpipe; 04-23-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

History's jury is still out on George W. Bush

Why are ppl defending a slob, con artist and scumbag like Gore??

Kind of disturbing.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The state did do full recounts. Each time Bush one.
    Then I have a serious gap in my memory, along with some highly selective eyesight. When did the state even do a single full recount? Let alone several? I tried looking for it and I can't find it.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Then I have a serious gap in my memory, along with some highly selective eyesight. When did the state even do a single full recount? Let alone several? I tried looking for it and I can't find it.

Because Bush's margin of victory was less than ''one-half of a percent ...of the votes cast,'' an automatic machine recount was conducted under Section 102.141(4) of the election code, the results of which showed Bush still winning the race but by a diminished margin.

anyhoo....im so over this discussion since it was almost 15 years ago and its been done ad nauseum. So ill give you the last word
    Quote Quote