Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sherman, Aponte and Ross

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Owner Sherman, Aponte and Ross

New video posted on the team's site. Finsiders speak to Coach Mike Sherman, Salary Cap and Negotiations guru VP Dawn Aponte and Owner Steve Ross. Oddly, after this heavily defensive draft, I don't think I saw Sherman smile once or even look over at Ross or Aponte. He spent most of his time looking around, up at the rafters, or fiddling with the microphone on his headset. http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/v...2-ce88ca39e984
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami,Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    LOL if I was Sherman I would be pretty upset. Ireland doesn't get it in this nfl you need qb and surround that qb with weapons first and foremost.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good point goonies.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Undrafted Pro-Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goonies View Post
    LOL if I was Sherman I would be pretty upset. Ireland doesn't get it in this nfl you need qb and surround that qb with weapons first and foremost.
    This is ridiculous... We gave Tannehill some new weapons in Free Agency and we drafted a very good RB and a blocking TE... We have a lot of potentials at WR and this is why Bess became expandable.. I'm guessing Jeff Fuller, Richard Matthews, and even Armon Binns will have a larger role with the team.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd prefer to improve on both sides of the ball than just focus on 1 side. It seems we have done a bit of both this off season.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We spent significantly more $ in FA on offense than defense. I'm not surprised the draft was tilted towards the defensive side. We NEED speed on that side of the ball. Does everybody forget how bad we were last year at creating turnovers????
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    1. I love Sherman's shirt
    2. Dawn Aponte has a dream job.
    3. Dawn Aponte is a disciple of Eric Mangini
    4. What a huge month for Mr. Ross

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

I did not notice an angry Sherm.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami,Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchFiedler View Post
    This is ridiculous... We gave Tannehill some new weapons in Free Agency and we drafted a very good RB and a blocking TE... We have a lot of potentials at WR and this is why Bess became expandable.. I'm guessing Jeff Fuller, Richard Matthews, and even Armon Binns will have a larger role with the team.
    So lets give th weapons when 3yrs from now,I give up, whatever. When you see highlights of Austin tearing it up you'll look back at this draft and ask yourself how did we not come out of this draft with weapons for th. btw I'd rather see an exciting offense even if we are losing. Once you establish offense you can go all defense every draft I don't care.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wait, didn't the Dolphins go get Wallace, Gibson AND Keller like 6 weeks ago?
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fininpsl View Post
    We spent significantly more $ in FA on offense than defense. I'm not surprised the draft was tilted towards the defensive side. We NEED speed on that side of the ball. Does everybody forget how bad we were last year at creating turnovers????
    Considering I've been mentioning it in about 20 different threads since the season ended ... no, I haven't forgotten. For anyone that has, we set 3 records last year:

1) Most yardage by a rookie Miami Dolphins QB
    2) 2nd most yards in a single game by any NFL rookie QB, 1 yard behind 2012 rookie Cam Newton (now 3rd because he's now 2 yards behind 2013 rookie Andrew Luck)
    3) Fewest takeaways by a Miami Dolphins defense ... EVER.

Yeah, that's pathetic how few takeaways we produced ... historically pathetic, particularly in todays passing NFL. So, we got rid of our LB's and CB's and started over for the most part. We brought in an excellent CB in free agency. We brought in 2 starting LB's in free agency. We added DL depth in free agency. So, 3 starters and depth on defense all aimed at generating takeaways.

On offense in free agency we added 1 starting WR (Wallace), 1 starting TE (Keller) that not everyone agrees is an upgrade, and 1 depth WR (Gibson). We lost a LT that was not replaced and we lost a starting RB that was not replaced.

While I agree about the financial outlay for Wallace I don't think we evened things out. We still have significantly more salary cap allocated to defense than offense. Yes, we spent money resigning Hartline and committed money to Franchising Starks, I don't know that I agree that our free agency was mostly about the offense. Our money is still being spent more on defense than offense, so given this is an offensive league now, I'd say we are more likely to spend even more on offense if we want to balance things out.

Definitely do not see finances as a reason to NOT draft offense. Particularly given that we finally have a young franchise QB and we need to build around him and fill the significant holes in our offense.
    Quote Quote