Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: hoops scoops...day 3...an odd finish...

1. -1
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks

hoops scoops...day 3...an odd finish...

before i get into todays results i'll just give you something else to chew on regarding the will davis cb pick after i did a recheck of everything i had on him this morning...

this is no lie...there was only one rep in the senior bowl week 3 days of practice that he was solid on...and that rep was against a wr in aaron mellette who's as raw as they come and last i checked still hasn't heard his name called...in 11 on 11 single high safety though practice mellette beat him for a deep vertical he trailed on by 2 yards...on thursday they brought in the wr lemon from syracuse who's another guy that's name i'm yet to hear drafted and he ate up will davis also...in the senior bowl game the play he did make was a result of jordan poyer driving on a route and getting the receiver to tip the ball right into davis hands for the int...i'm sorry fellas but the kid did nothing...he's not strong he doesn't have the strength in his hands to really jam and reroute a guy and he trails on the route on the regular...gets caught flat footed...184 lbs...

anyways now that we're done with that action let's talk about today...

first off i had no idea that this team was so loaded that we could use high 4th round picks given our needs on special teams core players and competition at will backer for our freshly minted $26 mil man philip wheeler...cause that's how jelani jenkins projects to me...competition and most likely depth with high end specials abilities...this kid does have talent and he runs to the football...like wheeler though he's a guy that needs to be clean doesn't get off blocks well or sift through traffic and not very strong at the poa despite the 27 reps of 225 lbs ...i don't know...i don't hate it but it seems to me like the kind of move teams with not many needs make...i'm sure he'll beat out spitler for his roster spot given he's more sudden...right now the only real strength at the poa this lb core has is misi but i think we may see with dion jordan in fold olivier vernon making the switch to solb as well...seems like a logical move to me

dion sims i kinda saw coming or at least a in line capable of handling himself te...i think the value there was solid given the need and the fact miami had no one at the position that could play in line and not be a liability...that said he's not the blocker fasano was at this stage he dropped about 15 lbs to run fast from his playing weight and still ran a 4.75 40 i would think he's probably gonna end up putting some of that weight back on...i hope he doesn't cause it would help his suddenness and ability to get down the field but while he has soft hands i think he's your primary in line te and guy that works the underneath and intermediate...not as polished as fasano...i'm just damn glad they didn't take nick kasa for the role...who can't block a paper bag...but at least they realized dustin keller in line was never gonna work...

mike gillislee i like the pick given where we got him...plays a little bigger than he is he's solid in all facets doesn't wow you with anything...

the kicker yeah the day i talk about a kicker is the day i want to be shot in the head...whatever...i guess ireland saw the run on kickers coming...ha ha

i think my biggest issue though is we did jack squat to get more weapons in the passing game in this draft...nothing...added no threat down the seam or on the outside playmakers...we lost our slot and didn't replace it...i don't agree with any wallace, hartline, gibson, and mathews and we're good when it comes to playmaking at the position nonsense...i'm plum shocked that i guess they took the true slot out of the offense and took that away from tannehill...why take away one of the kids strengths??? they didn't add any te that teams must scheme for in both facets with the ability to line up in line and be flexed out wide to take advantage of mismatches...

and i still can't find the answer at tackle anywhere...what's the plan to protect tannehill??? smoke and mirrors???
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They'll answer tackle with one of the FA on the market. Or a trade. They've opened up even more cap space. Enough that they have plans for it this year rather than rolling it over.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Agree on the lack of offensive weapons we are going into next season with. After Wallace we are average at best. We should be giving our young qb as many legitimate targets as possible.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hoops this Davis kid was rated fairly high from what I call the pre draft guides but the CBS and GBN guides had him much lower. Which leads me to ask you have you had a chance to see any of his game tapes or for that fact do we have any fans who watched this kid much in college?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phintim View Post
    Hoops this Davis kid was rated fairly high from what I call the pre draft guides but the CBS and GBN guides had him much lower. Which leads me to ask you have you had a chance to see any of his game tapes or for that fact do we have any fans who watched this kid much in college?
    i saw 3 games...was not impressed...didn't go back for another look after the senior bowl cause after it i took him off my board...was not interested...frankly senior bowl backed up what i saw in the games so i felt i had a good grasp on him...
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Brandon Lloyd, Eric Winston or Clabo
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Could have used more weapons, my only gripe aside from the Davis pick. Thought we did a solid job, gotta add a FA tackle, which is the right route anyway when it's all said and done. Wheeler has experience at SLB so I could see him getting shifted there in 2014 and having Jenkins play on the weakside if he shows any promise. Good coverage guy, exactly what we needed to add to our core, that's why I like the pick. I could see a lot of 3-4 looks with the personnel we're bringing in, Wake and Jordan are plenty capable on the outside, with Ellerbe and Wheeler on the inside. I'd go as far as saying our personnel might be even better suited for a 3-4...

Sign: Daryn Colledge
    Draft: 1. LB Ryan Shazier 2. OL Joel Bitonio 3. WR Donte Moncrief 4. OL Brandon Thomas 5. OT Laurent Duvernay Tardif 6. RB Bo Oliver 7. TBD

LT Albert LG Smith C Pouncey RG Colledge RT Bitonio
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Superbowl MVP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    College Station, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Will Davis was an absolutely atrocious pick.

Maybe the FO figured they didnt want to help Tannehill out so he can get used to throwing to WR's that can't get separation. That way it forces him to be more accurate. Weird, I know, but that's the only explanation I can come up with. Or the FO is seriously delusional if they think our WR group does not need improving.
    God Bless Palestine
    Quote Quote  

9. -9

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the one thing i will say also is in taking a good look at will davis work i also decided to eye ball some more jamar taylor and he looked very comfortable as i had stated prior in off coverages...the only thing i didn't see was despite the terrific speed i didn't see great closing speed...i don't see run you down in the open field from behind here...not a great 2nd gear burst with the ball in the air...if guys had him by 2 yards on a route it kinda stayed that way...that's a little different from a vontae davis who could close and run you down...terrific quick acceleration
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My honest opinion on grading this draft is we as usual drafted for needs that were obvious and I came away filling like that the picks were a bit of a crapshoot. I am just so darned tired of rebuilding I sure hope Philbin works out because many of these picks are just fill in picks that we drafted years ago already because we have a coach who wants different players. When or if we change out coaches again I sure hope we hire one who can work with the current players while infusing talent. We have churned the team way to much for my tastes this year to expect much this year. Kinda feels like a expansion team. I have said this before but if I were a GM I would do what the Pats did in the first round trade back when a good offer comes along and get as many picks as possible. Really the draft is a bit of a numbers game on top of evaluating talent just get about 12 picks every year and expect about 6-7 to stick and eventually you have a decent team. Best GM for the Phins in my lifetime Jimmy Johnson and that was his style and we got pro bowlers in every round. So much for my rant.
    Quote Quote