Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miami Draft Grades and Comments: Post Yours!

1. -11
    Greetings from Portlandia

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland, OR
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I noticed your mock draft in your signature. With the exception of 1 or 2 guys (Kayvon Webster for 1), I think we could have drafted that entire mock draft in your sig. Which would you have preferred, your sig mock or our actual draft?
    No way was Dallas going to trade 3 of their 6 picks to move up to #12, not this year with an aging team in salary cap hell. In fact they traded down (and then blew their draft) but we did make some other trades. Love that Portland State Kicker, GO VIKES!!!

RW
    Make your own rules!

Quote Quote  

2. -12
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I noticed your mock draft in your signature. With the exception of 1 or 2 guys (Kayvon Webster for 1), I think we could have drafted that entire mock draft in your sig. Which would you have preferred, your sig mock or our actual draft?
    Since my mock was more of a projection as opposed a preference I would definitely go with the one we got. This exceeded my expectations because they actually placed an emphasis on the pass rush and secondary, which I didn't think they would. Taylor way over Alford for me, Jordan over Eifert, no Brandon Albert massive contract. Would've preferred a Christine Michael in the backfield/drafting a RB a tad higher and really like that we got Jones in the 7th. To me this draft turned out way better than what I projected we would do. I would've personally in our slots gone:

1. Dion Jordan, OLB
    2. Jamar Taylor, CB
    3a. Dallas Thomas, OL
    3b. Quinton Patton, WR
    4a. Johnathon Franklin, RB
    4b. Dion Sims, TE
    5a. David Quessenberry, OL
    5b. Jordan Poyer, CB
    7. Da'Rick Rogers, WR

Hindsight's 20/20 obviously, but the only things I would change would be the Will Davis pick (grab Poyer late), take a high end running back in the 4th cause there was good value there, and I would've taken a flier on Rogers skillset. But when you look at a draft and say that 4 or 5/9 would be the same if I was drafting, I can't have too many gripes. With those 4 changes it really just comes down to the Davis pick, and to a lesser degree the Jenkins pick. Still like Jenkins, not gonna pile on Davis either. If I'm sitting at my 4a pick I probably would've drafted Poyer without the knowledge of him falling to 7, same for Rogers, same for Quessenberry. The Day 3 picks are all about preference, I don't have an expectation that they meet my specific needs out of a pool of 100s of similar players, that's the problem with the common fan on this board.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RichmondWeb View Post
    No way was Dallas going to trade 3 of their 6 picks to move up to #12, not this year with an aging team in salary cap hell. In fact they traded down (and then blew their draft) but we did make some other trades. Love that Portland State Kicker, GO VIKES!!!

RW
    It's Jerry Jones, I thought he'd have a man crush on Vaccaro, wouldn't be the first time he went against logic. No way Patton was gonna fall to the 4th, no way Swope was gonna fall out of the 3rd round (said by 99% of finheaven), no way Star was gonna fall out of the top 10, no way Travis freaking Fredrick was gonna be a first rounder. That's the draft for ya, never say never.

Sign: Daryn Colledge
    Draft: 1. LB Ryan Shazier 2. OL Joel Bitonio 3. WR Donte Moncrief 4. OL Brandon Thomas 5. OT Laurent Duvernay Tardif 6. RB Bo Oliver 7. TBD

LT Albert LG Smith C Pouncey RG Colledge RT Bitonio
    Quote Quote  

3. -13

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland, OR
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wonder if Ireland's supposed 150 player limited board contributed to the 3rd round meltdown and reach for Jenkins? With 11+ picks one should have more alternatives than that to choose from.

I was shocked to see so many good players go undrafted; shows the depth of the draft. Guys we mocked in the mid rounds like Chase Thomas and Matt Scott.

Perhaps it wasn't such a crime to piss-away our late picks in this draft because the real value is in the UFA's with a draft class this deep. I'm upset because we "only" drafted 9 players when we could have drafted 12, but other teams only drafted 5 or 6 players; very few teams drafted 9 or more players. I still say quantity is good, especially if your picking sucks!

I can't wait to learn more about our UFA crop after seeing what Michael Clay can do:

CBS has him ranked 28th OLB, 7-FA and said:

"The highly regarded prep prospect initially made his way onto the field as a long snapper for the Ducks. His instincts and physicality quickly made him one of Oregon's top reserve linebackers, and once given an opportunity to start he quietly proved more consistently effective than more highly publicized teammates Dion Jordan, Kiko Alonso and John Boyett, among others. He led the Ducks in tackles each of the past two seasons, averaging 101 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and three sacks during that time."

Impressive ZT type.

RW
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I wonder if Ireland's supposed 150 player limited board contributed to the 3rd round meltdown and reach for Jenkins? With 11+ picks one should have more alternatives than that to choose from.

I was shocked to see so many good players go undrafted; shows the depth of the draft. Guys we mocked in the mid rounds like Chase Thomas and Matt Scott.

Perhaps it wasn't such a crime to piss-away our late picks in this draft because the real value is in the UFA's with a draft class this deep. I'm upset because we "only" drafted 9 players when we could have drafted 12, but other teams only drafted 5 or 6 players; very few teams drafted 9 or more players. I still say quantity is good, especially if your picking sucks!

I can't wait to learn more about our UFA crop after seeing what Michael Clay can do:

CBS has him ranked 28th OLB, 7-FA and said:

"The highly regarded prep prospect initially made his way onto the field as a long snapper for the Ducks. His instincts and physicality quickly made him one of Oregon's top reserve linebackers, and once given an opportunity to start he quietly proved more consistently effective than more highly publicized teammates Dion Jordan, Kiko Alonso and John Boyett, among others. He led the Ducks in tackles each of the past two seasons, averaging 101 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and three sacks during that time."

Impressive ZT type.

RW
    He didn't panic on 3a as far as I'm concerned, Thomas is a very nice fit where we got him. He panicked when he saw the corners coming off the board and probably didn't have a midround grade for a lot of the corners.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland, OR
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grushcow View Post
    He didn't panic on 3a as far as I'm concerned, Thomas is a very nice fit where we got him. He panicked when he saw the corners coming off the board and probably didn't have a midround grade for a lot of the corners.
    I agree. I'm good with the Thomas pick, and I loved the trade down at #82 which indicated we were good with the board at that point. What was shocking was then trading #109, #146, and #224 to get back to #93 to draft Davis, a mixed review guy. Plus there were more mid-round and plenty of later round CBs out there; how many were on our board?

RW
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grushcow View Post
    Ireland's initial interview after Day 2 pretty much confirms this. He 'panicked' and was forced to trade back up.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacjunk View Post
    Ireland's initial interview after Day 2 pretty much confirms this. He 'panicked' and was forced to trade back up.
    Which is exactly what I just said.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I agree. I'm good with the Thomas pick, and I loved the trade down at #82 which indicated we were good with the board at that point. What was shocking was then trading #109, #146, and #224 to get back to #93 to draft Davis, a mixed review guy. Plus there were more mid-round and plenty of later round CBs out there; how many were on our board?

RW
    Honestly I didn't have many, I had guys like Poyer, Webb, Simon, Anthony and Davis. Not all of those guys necessarily fit the prototype profile we look for in our corners though, Poyer and Anthony ran slow, and so did Webb. So if I were to envision their board I think it was down to 1 or 2 corners that fit into the 3rd-4th round range.
    Quote Quote