Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: "You guys got a bonafide athlete" in Michael Clay

1. -51
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulFinFan View Post
    It can. Clay recently added about 15lbs but Zach was short but had more weight than Clay had with Oregon. D. Jordan needs to put on about 30lbs and get alot stronger to make it in this league.
    You don't think that Dion Jordan can make it in the league as a defensive end unless he weighs 280 pounds? That's pretty absurd.
    Von Miller, a player used more as a blitzer than a pure linebacker, weighs 237 pounds.
    Jason Taylor, who was a sacking machine, weighed around 245 when he played even though he was listed at 260.
    Chris Clemons, the DE for the Seahawks, is listed at 255.
    Cameron Wake is listed at 258.

Yeah, Dion Jordan does seem a bit lanky for a DE, but that's the first impression that scouts had for Jason Taylor. Yeah, it would do Jordan some good to put on some muscle. But to say that he won't make it in this league if he doesn't weigh enough is not only a bold statement, it is wrong.

Year in and year out we see players who were "too small" or "too short" that make it in this league. Players that are deemed undersized until you measure their on-field production, heart and playmaking ability. Jordan still has to prove himself at the NFL level, but he was the #3 overall pick for a reason.
    Quote Quote  

2. -52
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveEnd76 View Post
    I doubt Dion Jordan is going to put on 30 pounds. That would make him 278 pounds and would definitely affect his speed.
    Jordan has the height and frame to put on 30lbs especially since he is so young. I think he can play at 265-275lbs. I think he is way too light to play at the next level without always getting injured. I thought Taylor could have put on more weight when he played. Light guys tend to wear down as the game goes on especially when they have to go against tackles that outweigh them by 50lbs.
    ALRIGHT MIAMI
    Dunaway, Swift, Fernandez, Buonticonti, Den Herder
    NO NAMES taking NO PRISONERS!
    Quote Quote  

3. -53
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    You don't think that Dion Jordan can make it in the league as a defensive end unless he weighs 280 pounds? That's pretty absurd.
    Von Miller, a player used more as a blitzer than a pure linebacker, weighs 237 pounds.
    Jason Taylor, who was a sacking machine, weighed around 245 when he played even though he was listed at 260.
    Chris Clemons, the DE for the Seahawks, is listed at 255.
    Cameron Wake is listed at 258.

Yeah, Dion Jordan does seem a bit lanky for a DE, but that's the first impression that scouts had for Jason Taylor. Yeah, it would do Jordan some good to put on some muscle. But to say that he won't make it in this league if he doesn't weigh enough is not only a bold statement, it is wrong.

Year in and year out we see players who were "too small" or "too short" that make it in this league. Players that are deemed undersized until you measure their on-field production, heart and playmaking ability. Jordan still has to prove himself at the NFL level, but he was the #3 overall pick for a reason.
    Jordan probably weighs about 240lb at best right now. I think he can easily get up to 265-270lbs without any problems. I can see him being constantly injured at the next level. College and the NFL are two different ball games. Jordan will be going against guys that outweigh him by 50lbs and can actually move their feet unlike some of the players he might have faced in college.
    Quote Quote  

4. -54
    Football Guru

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Philbin said they would decide what weight would be best for Jordan. I guess I just can't see a current 248 pounder getting to almost 280 without it really affecting his speed and quickness. His added size would be a benefit against the run but may be a detriment to his passrushing.
    Please God, let me see 1 Dolphins Superbowl victory before I die.
    Quote Quote  

5. -55
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wow...Zachary Thomas 2.0
    Quote Quote  

6. -56
    Greetings from Portlandia

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland, OR
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Another reason Clay was not drafted, the same reason a boatload of other talented players were not drafted this year, not enough picks in the draft for this year's deep draft class! 300+ draftable players and only 254 picks. Look for lots of pleasant surprises in this year's UFA class on every team, because guys like Clay will break through.

CBS had Clay rated 28th overall OLB with 7-FA grade and said:

The highly regarded prep prospect initially made his way onto the field as a long snapper for the Ducks. His instincts and physicality quickly made him one of Oregon's top reserve linebackers, and once given an opportunity to start he quietly proved more consistently effective than more highly publicized teammates Dion Jordan, Kiko Alonso and John Boyett, among others. He led the Ducks in tackles each of the past two seasons, averaging 101 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and three sacks during that time.

RW
    Make your own rules!

Quote Quote  

7. -57
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I love this pick up!!

Quote Quote  

8. -58
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Kid's got crazy hustle. I like it.
    Quote Quote  

9. -59
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dallas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    go fins I liked clay to an that jasper Collins kid
    Quote Quote  

10. -60
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RichmondWeb View Post
    Another reason Clay was not drafted, the same reason a boatload of other talented players were not drafted this year, not enough picks in the draft for this year's deep draft class! 300+ draftable players and only 254 picks. Look for lots of pleasant surprises in this year's UFA class on every team, because guys like Clay will break through.

CBS had Clay rated 28th overall OLB with 7-FA grade and said:

The highly regarded prep prospect initially made his way onto the field as a long snapper for the Ducks. His instincts and physicality quickly made him one of Oregon's top reserve linebackers, and once given an opportunity to start he quietly proved more consistently effective than more highly publicized teammates Dion Jordan, Kiko Alonso and John Boyett, among others. He led the Ducks in tackles each of the past two seasons, averaging 101 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and three sacks during that time.

RW
    If this guy could come in and be a kickoff/ punt special teamer, and long snap, and play nickel LB? This guy's like the Delanie Walker of the defense lol
    Quote Quote