Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Why You NEED Standard Capacity Magzines: Multiple Home Invaders

1. -171
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    I don't understand how "living constitutionalists" can selectively update some Amendments but not others. Quartering, hanging and firing squads are not mentioned in the Constitution. The "right of the people to keep and bear Arms" is specifically mentioned.

Using Phinz argument "Freedom of the Press", for example, should only apply to newspapers, not modern forms of the press.
    Some Amendments are more out of whack with modern times than others. Quartering, hanging and firing squads are not mentioned in the Constitution, I agree, but then no type of "cruel and unusual punishment" is specifically mentioned at all. What do you think they meant? Were they trying to eliminate certain specific punishments and not others (a view consistent with originalism), or were they trying to eliminate all but the most humane kinds of punishments, not just then but going forward (which is closer to the living constitution view).

#freespesh
    Quote Quote  

2. -172
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Voltaire was highly appreciative of irony and I'm sure he recognized the irony of his own quote. Candide is still one of the funniest books ever written, imo. Especially if you're at all familiar with Leibniz's philosophy of this being the "best of all possible worlds", of which the book is a kind of critique.
    My vote went to the da vinci code.
    Quote Quote  

3. -173
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    My vote went to the divinci code.
    Never read it. But I had a good laugh at friends of mine who would put down the book in the middle of a page to rush off to the internet to check on this claim or that.
    Quote Quote  

4. -174
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Never read it. But I had a good laugh at friends of mine who would put down the book in the middle of a page to rush off to the internet to check on this claim or that.

It wasn't the actual points he was trying to make that were funny but the sheer ridiculousness of certain situations he created. A couple of examples, without giving anything away, was the protagonist escaping the authorities by threatening to put his knee through a piece of art. Another was after being a murder suspect, instead of easily clearing his name, he blindly follows this women he just met all over Europe merely on a whim while being chased by the police.

Not to mention the standard cliche of the "bad guy" being an albino named Silas.
    Quote Quote  

5. -175
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Two things, 1. the Founding Father's activities were very common then and were not necessarily seen as barbaric until much later. Most of the world still participates in these activities; at least we chose to walk a different path. 2. Most public schools, even in Texas, are still teaching a decidedly liberal curriculum. Texas just made a public declaration to come back toward the middle. For what it is worth, revisionist history is always wrong - you can't learn from your past if you don't acknowledge it.
    1) If your going to debate that they were men of their times, i wont argue with you because i agree. But to pick and choose when they are enlightened and we should follow every single syllable they utter and then immediate choose to ignore when they acted "barbaric" is absurd. People cant have it both ways. Personally, i believe we should follow this part of "their intentions": a system of government that can be amended. But again, thats just me personally. Either way, those that want to hang onto their quotes(hilariously miswritten quotes nonetheless) as evidence should also recognize everything our Founders did.

2) I 100% agree with you on the revisionist part. Id disagree with the "towards the middle" but thats an entirely different debate and i dont want to sidetrack the current topic any further then i have. But i agree with your fundimental point.
    Quote Quote  

6. -176
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    By your reasoning, the threat is much greater now and supports an even greater need for self-protection.
    Yeah? Well I did hear on the radio yesterday that there's going to be a drone kit one can buy that will send them a text whenever a drone is apparently near their house. I guess we do all need guns to protect ourselves. Those without them have no chance.

Quote Quote  

7. -177
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Why You NEED Standard Capacity Magzines: Multiple Home Invaders

Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    Yeah? Well I did hear on the radio yesterday that there's going to be a drone kit one can buy that will send them a text whenever a drone is apparently near their house. I guess we do all need guns to protect ourselves. Those without them have no chance.
    I wonder how much those kits are, I wouldn't mind having one. It would probably scare the crap out of me to know how much they are watching us. Although, I live in the sticks so they probably aren't watching much of me. Can we shoot the drones down or should that be frowned upon?
    Quote Quote  

8. -178
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Why You NEED Standard Capacity Magzines: Multiple Home Invaders

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    1) If your going to debate that they were men of their times, i wont argue with you because i agree. But to pick and choose when they are enlightened and we should follow every single syllable they utter and then immediate choose to ignore when they acted "barbaric" is absurd. People cant have it both ways. Personally, i believe we should follow this part of "their intentions": a system of government that can be amended. But again, thats just me personally. Either way, those that want to hang onto their quotes(hilariously miswritten quotes nonetheless) as evidence should also recognize everything our Founders did.

2) I 100% agree with you on the revisionist part. Id disagree with the "towards the middle" but thats an entirely different debate and i dont want to sidetrack the current topic any further then i have. But i agree with your fundimental point.
    I started to add another sentence stating that they failed on their execution of their concepts but thought it sounded wishy-washy and deleted it. You are correct and their behavior was reprehensible. However, it was very well accepted behavior for the time and the concepts they were proposing were very revolutionary. We have evolved as a society thus the application and execution of the concepts are far more palatable now than then though the concepts remain absolute. It makes sense to me anyway.
    Quote Quote  

9. -179
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    I wonder how much those kits are, I wouldn't mind having one. It would probably scare the crap out of me to know how much they are watching us. Although, I live in the sticks so they probably aren't watching much of me. Can we shoot the drones down or should that be frowned upon?
    I want to say $70 was around the correct amount.
    Quote Quote  

10. -180
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd laugh if you weren't insinuating that you're willing to kill members of the US armed forces so you can keep your gun.
    Think whatever you want. Laugh at whatever you choose.
    YOU are the one reading into what I said.

Thanks Shifty!

Quote Quote