Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Value Picks & Biggest Reaches

1. -11
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Mike Gillislee is probably the best value for the guys we picked. I really like his upside, and where we got him in the draft.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Kyle Long's draft stock is so manufactured based on his lineage it's ridiculous. His father being named Howie Long didn't stop him from becoming a drug addict in the first place.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    A very famous spit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This might go down as Ireland's worst draft. I have creeping suspicion that he blew this draft bad, considering the picks we had and ammunition to move around. How many more drafts can Ross keep giving this buffoon?!
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by PALMA View Post
    This might go down as Ireland's worst draft. I have creeping suspicion that he blew this draft bad, considering the picks we had and ammunition to move around. How many more drafts can Ross keep giving this buffoon?!
    I really don't know how you can say that...I'd like to hear your reasoning...

Sign: Daryn Colledge
    Draft: 1. LB Ryan Shazier 2. OL Joel Bitonio 3. WR Donte Moncrief 4. OL Brandon Thomas 5. OT Laurent Duvernay Tardif 6. RB Bo Oliver 7. TBD

LT Albert LG Smith C Pouncey RG Colledge RT Bitonio
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    I immediately agreed with the analyst that said the E.J. Manuel selection was more of an indictment on how the Bills felt about Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and Ryan Nassib than it was about who E.J. Manuel is as a quarterback.

The Kyle Long pick was another that really surprised me. This is a kid that has played less than a full season of college football. He'll be a 25 year old rookie that flunked out of Florida St. while trying to play baseball. Experience, durability, and intelligence are the 3 most critical factors when grading an offensive lineman's profile. Nice athlete, but undoubtably benefited from the lineage of his family's ties to the NFL.

Fisher, Fluker, Johnson, Cooper, Warmack, and Joeckel all being off the board by the time the first 10 cards were turned in forced teams into reaching for guys like Long, Pugh, and Menelik Watson.
    According to your list you think that Menelik Watson should have been a late 7th round pick? Wow. I thought that he was easily one of the best OL I saw play in the entire draft. I can't even imagine a guy who played that well and with such upside lasting until the 7th round. He's a bit older, that's the one negative I see and imo he might turn out to be the best RT in the draft, maybe even a LT.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Outside of Long's off the field issues he tested out great, he would have been the fastest lineman at the combine if not for the two freaks.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cool.

As far as calculating values, there should be mathematical adjustment for 1st round picks taken in the 4th and so on, 'cause that's a greater value than 3rd round pick selected in the 7th, even tho the spread maybe the same. Opposite goes for reaches. ( I did not see Frederick's name? odd.)
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UFGators View Post
    Cool.

As far as calculating values, there should be mathematical adjustment for 1st round picks taken in the 4th and so on, 'cause that's a greater value than 3rd round pick selected in the 7th, even tho the spread maybe the same. Opposite goes for reaches. ( I did not see Frederick's name? odd.)
    Yep. I was going to mention the same thing. It's not purely linear. It looks like Shariff Floyd is actually the greatest theoretical value. If he's 22 spots low that means he was #1 on Slimm's board.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
    According to your list you think that Menelik Watson should have been a late 7th round pick? Wow. I thought that he was easily one of the best OL I saw play in the entire draft. I can't even imagine a guy who played that well and with such upside lasting until the 7th round. He's a bit older, that's the one negative I see and imo he might turn out to be the best RT in the draft, maybe even a LT.

I wouldn't necessarily say he should've been a 7th round pick, but that's where I had him graded in terms of my interest. In other words, that's where I would've taken him to play right tackle. I don't buy the hype with him. Furthermore, I don't grade offensive lineman high that lack experience. The majority of Watson's pre-draft hype was built upon what was supposed to be outstanding athletic ability before he went to the combine and tested at the bottom of virtually every category. I don't subscribe to the upside, and as I mentioned a long time ago, I didn't like his age.

The real talent to me is found in Cameron Erving and Josue Matias when I study FSU's offensive line.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UFGators View Post
    Cool.

Despite the Cowboys reaching for Frederick, he wasn't one of the top 26 biggest reaches in my opinion. If I had kept going, Frederick's name would've been included along the way. Fact is, there were that many reaches that were bigger.

He was #99 on my big board and Dallas took him at #31 overall, or a score of -68.... which wouldn't make my top 26 reaches.

I grade these value picks and reaches linear because it provides an absolute reference for everyone to look at without me having to split hairs and go into lengthy explanations.

I'd also disagree that a 1st rounder taken in the 4th round is greater value than a 3rd rounder taken in the 7th if the spread is equal. I only had 25 players with 1st round grades to begin with. The talent pool was much more watered down in the 7th round where a kid who I felt had 3rd round talent (Chris Gragg for example) was taken. The talent pool was much closer together in the 4th round.
    Quote Quote