Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL's Scariest Front on Paper

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

NFL's Scariest Front on Paper

Miami has really done an amazing job of bringing athletes into the defensive front. On paper, I feel this is arguably the best in the NFL. Now we all must keep our fingers crossed that the on-field performance is even marginally near the frightening numbers.

Defensive Line
    Defensive Ends

Cam Wake
    40 Yard Dash: 4.65s
    Vertical Leap: 45.5"
    Broad Jump: 130"
    Bench Press (225 lbs.): 20

Olivier Vernon
    40 Yard Dash: 4.73s
    Vertical Leap: 34.5"
    Broad Jump: 122"
    Bench Press (225 lbs.): 31

Dion Jordan
    40 Yard Dash: 4.60
    Vertical Leap: 32.5"
    Broad Jump: 122"
    Bench Press (225 lbs.): N/A

Defensive Tackles

Randy Starks
    40 Yard Dash: 5.03s
    Vertical Leap: 29.5"
    Broad Jump: 102"
    Bench Press (225 lbs.): 27 reps

Paul Soliai
    40 Yard Dash: 5.10
    Vertical Leap: 29.5"
    Broad Jump: 103"

Jared Odrick
    40 Yard Dash: 5.03
    Vertical Leap: 29"
    Broad Jump: 106"
    Bench Press (225 lbs.): 26 reps

Linebackers
    Inside

Koa Misi
    40 Yard Dash: 4.75s
    Vertical Leap: 38"
    Broad Jump: 127"

Philip Wheeler
    40 Yard Dash: 4.76s
    Vertical Leap: 31"
    Broad Jump: 118"
    Bench Press (225 lbs.): 24 reps

Outside

Josh Kaddu
    40 Yard Dash: 4.67s
    Vertical Leap: 34"
    Broad Jump: 119"
    Bench Press (225 lbs.): 20 reps

Jelani Jenkins
    40 Yard Dash: 4.54
    Vertical Leap: N/A
    Broad Jump: N/A
    Bench Press (225 lbs.): 27 reps

Dannell Ellerbe
    40 Yard Dash: 4.63s
    Vertical Leap: 35"
    Broad Jump: 118"

*Note: The positional arrangement listed isn't necessarily where they'll be playing this year. This is simply my opinion, i.e.:

Odrick playing DT with the ending contracts of Starks and Soliai. Odrick could very well earn playing time at the defensive end position, especially in short yardage situations or in situations that Jordan finds himself dropping back to LB.

Jordan is a bit of a prize and a mystery at the same time; I really cannot say for sure if he'll be a DE, an OLB, or what seems most likely: both.

Wheeler playing ILB with the possible departure of Misi. It is very likely that Misi or Wheeler line up outside this year, as both will probably finish in the top three performers nearing the season and both will be wanted on the field at the same time. And as big as I am on Jenkins, I do not feel he'll be ready to start this year or next, on the outside.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You need to take a look at what the 49ers have done and you can't underestimate Seattle. No doubt we are amongst the top 5-6 in the league!!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    I cannot argue that it is an excellent front 7. Some will come up with others, but Miami is very solid.

The key will be getting them to understand the system, play together and find ways to use the players' strengths.

This D has to take away the ball more. By chance, they will this year...they are bound to. However, it has to be a regular habit. It is the quickest way for this team to jump to 9 to 10 wins.

Get me some turnovers!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ANUFan View Post
    You need to take a look at what the 49ers have done and you can't underestimate Seattle. No doubt we are amongst the top 5-6 in the league!!
    The 49ers are definitely arguable on paper. In terms of performance, I feel they are the best set of players in a long, long time - besides the Baltimore Ravens demolition crew that existed. Statistically, they will be very difficult to compete with and will likely be trend setters. However, I feel Miami stands a strong case, on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    I cannot argue that it is an excellent front 7. Some will come up with others, but Miami is very solid.

The key will be getting them to understand the system, play together and find ways to use the players' strengths.

This D has to take away the ball more. By chance, they will this year...they are bound to. However, it has to be a regular habit. It is the quickest way for this team to jump to 9 to 10 wins.

Get me some turnovers!
    I agree. Miami has all of the tools readily available, and needs to be finely tuned to begin to perform at the same level as the 49ers. I feel they are the benchmark right now and if Miami can attain that level of pressure, playmaking, and consistency they have the opportunity to be the best.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I still think the 9ers have a better front 7 with those two DE's and middle LB's... We have a pretty impressive front 7 though. I just hope our LB core can gel well together sooner than later.
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    49ers then the Dolphins. Bengals, Rams, Giants, and Cardinals are pretty good too.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Lions? lol
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post

Get me some turnovers!
    I think that right there is the key. Using the players to their sthrenght. Example. I see Jordan as a better OLB on a 3-4 defence than as a DE on a 4-3 at THIS time. Once he gets bigger and stronger(if he does)he can be a top DE. The key will b to use different fronts and line him and Wake for that matter in different ways. We need a better and more consisten pass rush. All those numbers don't mean anything unless you do it out on the field. If you put Jordan at RDE on every snap most of the LT's in the NFL can pretty much manhandle him one on one so he'll need to run AROUND them which he did in college but it's harder to do in the NFL. They can chip him too if they know where he'll be. I'm looking for our DC to find ways to use him the right way and put him in positions to be effective. I don't believe we did enough of that last year with Bush. You need your players doing what they do best. If we change things up then the oline will have a harder time controling our front 7. Good thing with all the new players we have is that we're playing 5 preseason games this year and they will that to gel better and faster.

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ellerbe is the ilb. What's great is a lot of those numbers are from their combine. Wake is a monster! Gained 20 lbs since combine
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not ready to anoint Miami the best or scariest front 7 just yet. Too many unproven commodities like Wheeler, Ellerbe, Jordan, Kaddu and Jenkins. They need to prove it and do it consistently before I'd put them up there with the Niners, Giants or anyone else for that matter.
    Quote Quote