Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Clabo contract details/post-June 1st cap space around $17 million

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    In 2014, we have 38 players signed for $93M. That would leave $30M to fill out the 15 missing players IF there is no cap increase, no other moves, and no re-signing of players, or carry over.

Here's a closer look at players who the team needs to make decisions on in the next 10-11 months, and how the team is prepared:

Carp- Sturgis is here, missed 4 FG's, 3 blocked with one his fault. Looks like a change.

Carroll- May work out but, Davis is there.

Clemons- Solid, with Wilson or maybe Marshall taking his place. May surprise.

Denney- Best LS in the game, with some guy named Scales as a back up play.

Devlin- Worth one more contract. Plilbin likes him.

Cog- Love the player but, Thomas or Samuda will take his place.

Grimes- Hope he does VG but, expect Taylor to replace him.

Jerry- Expect him to play well, and be re-signed.

Jones- Just extend him NOW.

Keller- Jury still out but, like Sims, and maybe Clay, and even Egnew.

Misi- Has been moved and played well. I'm a fan, and want him back.

Soliai- Lot's of money for a guy who plays half the snaps, depends on what Coyle will do.

Starks- Not worth the franchise tag but, a VG part of our D. Toss up on keeping him.

Yeatman- Converting to OT, and has value a blocking TE/OT. A cheap keeper.

This is a something I posted on another thread, which seems to fit here.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If they don't spend anything more on free agents, they can roll the $10 million into 2014. Also, I thought they only needed like $5 million for the rookies?
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    there's a reason we're signing players to short term deal, so that we can assess the cap situation after 2013 and move onward. rather than being saddled with a 5-6 yr deal with escalating salaries like the Vernon Careys and Jake Longs of the world, we can simply move on, either with or without you... i love the vision we are laying out, and this by no means indicates it is a one and done season... Want to see a true one (or two) and done season, look at the Jets. 2 AFCCG cost them their defense and multiple weapons on offense. After slashing cap space just to get under the limit. now they must build their team through the draft. I don't think Miami has been foolish enough to spend us into oblivion... just my opinion
    Brent Grimes: I have never been a free agent. I picked Miami because they are building something great here and I want to be a part of it.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    We should be fine in regards to keeping our own players but yea I wouldnt expect many signings.

Ireland and Philbin say they want a team built through the draft... Time to prove it.
    well what you got is a lot of one year rentals that you won't be able to retain next year...so yeah you better hit in the draft...and i better not see us lose a reshad jones next offseason cause we dumped so much money into the future cap we can't afford to keep a rising star safety just entering his prime...

people can say we are fine in the future all they want but if these future contracts go belly up with the play on the field we'll be anything but fine...guys like wallace, ellerbe and wheeler and even hartline given that low cap # he has in 2013 need to play at a high level...just hope for the best...

and i'd also hope these rookie dbs can show enough to warrant losing some cap money now so we can roll it to the future on guys like richard marshall and dmitri patterson who have large cap hits this year...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Eatontown, NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rent this space View Post
    If they don't spend anything more on free agents, they can roll the $10 million into 2014. Also, I thought they only needed like $5 million for the rookies?
    I believe it is more because we moved from 12 to 3 and that is a big jump in salary. Moving that much added about $2 million just from that pick. We only saved less than half of that differance by giving up the 2nd round pick.

According to overthecap.com, our rookies cap use for 2013 should be: $7,839,988

Here is the link: http://www.overthecap.com/rookiepool.php?Team=Dolphins
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    well what you got is a lot of one year rentals that you won't be able to retain next year...so yeah you better hit in the draft...and i better not see us lose a reshad jones next offseason cause we dumped so much money into the future cap we can't afford to keep a rising star safety just entering his prime...

people can say we are fine in the future all they want but if these future contracts go belly up with the play on the field we'll be anything but fine...guys like wallace, ellerbe and wheeler and even hartline given that low cap # he has in 2013 need to play at a high level...just hope for the best...

and i'd also hope these rookie dbs can show enough to warrant losing some cap money now so we can roll it to the future on guys like richard marshall and dmitri patterson who have large cap hits this year...
    One year rentals will be available next year, too. Ireland has typically made too infrequent a use of them, imo.

Of these one year rental guys the one most likely to resign here I think is Keller. Apparently they tried to sign him to a longer term deal but he wanted the one year hoping to have a big year and thus get bigger money. Dude's gonna be really ****ing motivated which is great.

I have no idea what the salary cap will look like next year by this time it would surprise me if Incog, Garner, either Soliai/Starks, R. Marshall/Patterson were on the team by then. Patterson might not make it out of camp. Those players represent a pretty big chunk of cap space.

Jones I think is likely to regress this year. People see the arrow pointed straight up but you've got to play the percentages here. I still think he's a likely resign and for fairly substantial money but it's no guarantee he'll emerge as a top 5 at his position and command that kind of money.

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: Clabo contract details/post-June 1st cap space around $17 million

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post

Jones I think is likely to regress this year. People see the arrow pointed straight up but you've got to play the percentages here. I still think he's a likely resign and for fairly substantial money but it's no guarantee he'll emerge as a top 5 at his position and command that kind of money.
    I have read omar and armando say the entire scheme was built to help Jones produce last season and that it may not be the same this year, so Jones may well come down a bit.

Anyway Jones is one player im not concerned about, even if he is an all pro, the tag for his position is good value.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    One year rentals will be available next year, too. Ireland has typically made too infrequent a use of them, imo.

Of these one year rental guys the one most likely to resign here I think is Keller. Apparently they tried to sign him to a longer term deal but he wanted the one year hoping to have a big year and thus get bigger money. Dude's gonna be really ****ing motivated which is great.

I have no idea what the salary cap will look like next year by this time it would surprise me if Incog, Garner, either Soliai/Starks, R. Marshall/Patterson were on the team by then. Patterson might not make it out of camp. Those players represent a pretty big chunk of cap space.

why would jones regress as he gets more comfortable and trust his instincts vs the pass??? if anything i think he will make more plays on the ball...what in his game says he's trending down??? i see nothing...but to each his own...i just disagree with that assessment...i don't know that he'll rate as a top 3 pff safety or whatever but what i do know is if i'm building a contender he's in my long term plans...

keller can't block and doesn't read coverage all that well...i just hope he doesn't sell out his new qb like he did sanchez at times...and he plays tough...i don't really care if they bring him back to be honest off what i've seen of late...

some of those vets you mentioned will be gone no doubt...

i guess it depends on how the market goes next year as to how many of these guys you can retain...if it stays like it did this year there will be plenty of short term options...but you still want to try and build long term fixes at some point...and many of our additions are not that
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hopefully they're able to take that remaining space and roll it forward to 2014. They will need it. They artificially lowered the 2013 cap number at the direct expense of the 2014 number, so they need to reserve a lot of space in 2013 that they can roll forward into 2014 in order to counter it.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

As for why Reshad Jones could regress, keep in mind Miami just rebooted its corners unit. Chemistry is going to take a hit as a result.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

10. -20

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    you got both your starting safeties headed to free agency after this season both your starting dt's your starting solb both your starting corners most likely in grimes and carroll your starting guards in 2012 both free agents your starting right tackle in clabo your starting te in keller headed to free agency...

shoot...you got a lot of critical needs that must be filled...and you don't want to feel like you are ready to contend and be rolling in a bunch of rookies at these critical spots...

and you got massive 2014 cap hits like wallace at $17 mil and ellerbe and wheeler and hartline all paying the piper forward that come due...

great future shape you say???? ehhhh....
    Quote Quote