Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running to the left

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Running to the left

Saw this article about the Packers flipping their tackles and guards because they want to be better at running to the left to give Rodgers more time on roll outs to the right.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ly-may-6-2013/

We were better at running to the left last season, but with Martin there instead of Long will we still be able to run that way? It could be a big deal, because Tanne is good on roll outs and Keller is kind of more useful as a decoy pulling defenders to his side on a run play, than he is actually blocking.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Smh. The kid has talent. Let him grow. He did fine while playing in Longs spot.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah, everyone give the guy some room. He played like a rookie last year, some good, some bad. He's had a full year of play, a full offseason to hit the weights, and a knowledgeable staff to coach him up. Let's wait until the games to crucify the guy.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It wasn't just Long/Martin difference. Neither Jerry nor Martin could get any push on the right side last year. The only time we got any yardage going that was was with some cutbacks. (Yes, I know there were a few...even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.) For the most part though, those two couldn't open up anything. Hopefully with Martin on left now, he will have some help from Incognito...where the only thing he can do well is straight-ahead run block.
    "May the acorns rest in peace..."
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    LTJG

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Austin, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Pretty sure I read somewhere last season (PFF maybe?) that Incognito was the big factor in our success running to the left, Jake Long not so much.

If that's the case, there should be no dropoff.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think our running game is going to be very good, unfortunately. I've read a few more knowledgeable posters talk about how we picked up OLinemen who excel in pass protection but don't get much push forward or get to the second level (Louis, Thomas, Clabo) in run blocking. Add to this the fact that we don't have a runningback on the roster who has proven anything at this level, and I just don't feel great about running the ball. This was my concern when people started talking about us mimicking GB's offense; I just want to imitate their passing game, not their rush attack which has been a joke since Rodgers took over.

I personally think a young developing QB needs a really good running game: RG3, Wilson, Kaep, early Matt Ryan with Turner going for 1800, Flacco with Rice and Pierce, even Sanchez initially. I'm bummed that our ground game, on paper, does not look to be improved from last year's. Wish we had addressed it better this offseason. Hopefully I'm wrong though (defenses hopefully won't be able to load the box) and it will be at least reliable for Tanny and we can stay balanced.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Some things we have to understand about Martin.

1. We got him where we did, because he needed another year of physical development.
    2. If he stayed at Stanford for that physical development, he would have likely been a Top-10 pick.
    3. If we trust our initial evaluation (this was a pretty common thought at the time) of Martin and ignore our frustration with the struggles- which we pretty much agreed were inevitable - We should feel like we drafted a Top-10 LT - who has the benefit of NFL experience.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Well our running game will be based off our passing game not the other way around. If our passing game gets off to a good start the ground game will follow suit. This isn't the sparano days of run it over and over to set up the occasional play action pass, we will be running the wco to set up draws etc
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think we will run as good or better than pass.
    I am no expert like some here claim to be. But with our running backs and our line not set as far as who starts, I am leaning on the concept you forum experts are full of **** and we run the ball really well.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    PowerHungryMo'fo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ZBS gets cracks and seams not the classic "push". Sorry Reggie was friggin awful at reading and anticipating blocks in this scheme. Lamar actually excels at running is this scheme if he stays healthy I don't see a reason for drop off.
    Quote Quote