Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mando: Lack of Stadium Election is Galling

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Check espn's article on the stadium upgrade fail. Weatherford is quoted as saying something like tax rebates that were added to the bill for other teams in Florida was the reason he didn't pass it. I'm on a mobile device so it'd be a pain to try and find it.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Damn, if I had Ross's resources, I'd move heaven and earth to dig up dirt on this guy, people close to him personally and professionally and/or have a detective agency set him up with a woman (or man) at a bar. At the least, I'd be hand-picking his next election's opponent and finding ways to fill his or her campaign war chest. But that's me, I'm vindictive as hell

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Two articles related to vote
    One giving quite a but of blame to Ross on issue and clearly points out Ross's apprehension to public vote
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/0...ins-owner.html

This one quite starnge basically says Marino didnt even talk about stadium vote really
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/naked...-dolphins.html

One thing I still believe on issue is that Ross should have been talking about this bill well before a few months before the NFL decides to award a superbowl.
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Mando: Lack of Stadium Election is Galling

Hey, I would prefer that these matters come to a vote for the local public as well, in just saying that Dee and Ross are being hypocritical. They originally didn't even want this to come to a public vote. They wanted it approved without public input, and they wouldn't be crying about democratic injustice if it did...
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why should the resident of Dade get to hold a public vote that effects the revenue collected by the entire state? Im not a fan of referrendums to be with but if your going to have one at least make it a statewide vote. If this is such a great economic decission to make then it should easily pass and if its not it will be voted down.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
    Frederic Bastiat
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    Hey, I would prefer that these matters come to a vote for the local public as well, in just saying that Dee and Ross are being hypocritical. They originally didn't even want this to come to a public vote. They wanted it approved without public input, and they wouldn't be crying about democratic injustice if it did...
    Well said and quite true. Got to love false outrage
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    hoboken, nj
    Thanks / No Thanks
    http://flcourier.com/2013/05/04/dolp...ession-closes/

It would be interesting to hear the other side's story. It does seem like a rather hasty bill was put together with perhaps a lot of other crap tied into the bill. At least if they brought it to the floor their would have been greater public disclosure to the issues.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    When Ross first proposed bill he said out of his own mouth there wasnt enough time for a public vote before the NFL made a decision on superbowl bids so lets not act like Ross was all about the people getting their vote. It was a concession based on talking with the mayor but it was not something he favored. As for getting free money they were going to get 90 million dolars more in tax rebates along with the 289 million from bed tax . You can say the people didnt have to pay in first place but those were funds that could have been used for all kinds of tourist related development not just the dolphins as it was proposed.
    Saying there wasn't enough time was what he believed at the time. Of COURSE he wanted a vote that he had to believe he would have won in a landslide. There have been 10 votes trying to knock down this bill and he has one all 10 of them in LANDSLIDES.

Now please show me the options that tax payers could have used to better bring the kind of revenue into the county that the dolphins and new upgrades was going to bring, that was going to be paid back to them. I didn't think so.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    Damn, if I had Ross's resources, I'd move heaven and earth to dig up dirt on this guy, people close to him personally and professionally and/or have a detective agency set him up with a woman (or man) at a bar. At the least, I'd be hand-picking his next election's opponent and finding ways to fill his or her campaign war chest. But that's me, I'm vindictive as hell

I agree 100%, but I might not be so nice. I'm sure a billionaire could find someone who would take this maggot out on a lovely one way trip through the Everglades. I have a few cement blocks out back if he is interested.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    This type of view is so ignorant on so many levels I don't even know where to start. This would be like saying a nuclear waste treatment plant is being considered in the county but the public being denied the right to vote on it. Then someone saying "well if they decided not even to bring the nuclear waste plant here, would the public be mad they didn't get to vote on THAT". OF COURSE they wouldn't be upset. No one would want to be next door to a nuclear waste dump, and NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS would want to lose the revenue that an upgraded stadium, multiple superbowls, and multiple BCS national championships would bring either. ESPECIALLY when it isn't costing them ONE THIN DIME!!!!
    Quote Quote