Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mando: Lack of Stadium Election is Galling

1. -21
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    Saying there wasn't enough time was what he believed at the time. Of COURSE he wanted a vote that he had to believe he would have won in a landslide. There have been 10 votes trying to knock down this bill and he has one all 10 of them in LANDSLIDES.

Now please show me the options that tax payers could have used to better bring the kind of revenue into the county that the dolphins and new upgrades was going to bring, that was going to be paid back to them. I didn't think so.
    There was no indication public vote would have been a landslide please show me any poll that even suggests that.
    There are plenty of other projects that would bring in more money to the area than financing a stadium upgrade here and yes a small percentage would be paid back in 30 years 120 million out of the 289 million plus the 90 million, so they get about 379 million and they pay back 120 million 30 years from now.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shula_guy View Post
    Why should the resident of Dade get to hold a public vote that effects the revenue collected by the entire state? Im not a fan of referrendums to be with but if your going to have one at least make it a statewide vote. If this is such a great economic decission to make then it should easily pass and if its not it will be voted down.
    Why don't we let Germany and Iceland vote on it as well??
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The stupidest thing is they had already started voting on something that hadnt even been approved to vote for which is among the dumbest things ever.
    Hell I wish someone would push the NFL to allow them to make teams public, The NFL had had enough political force to keep that from happening but it seems the most fair of all things.
    Former Patriot owner had them on the ropes but the NFl has alot of political friends.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Why don't we let Germany and Iceland vote on it as well??
    Ok Im confused what does this have to do with the state voting on something.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    There was no indication public vote would have been a landslide please show me any poll that even suggests that.
    There are plenty of other projects that would bring in more money to the area than financing a stadium upgrade here and yes a small percentage would be paid back in 30 years 120 million out of the 289 million plus the 90 million, so they get about 379 million and they pay back 120 million 30 years from now.
    And as usual you are wrong. Ross had already came up with 70% of what could have been as much as $350 million in total cost, he was asking for a loan of roughly 30% and had agreed to pay back 100% of all that he borrowed.

As for the vote I will go get you some numbers, but there have already been 10 votes and Ross has won every one of them. All by A HUGE number.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    FinHeavean VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Toronto, On. Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Doesn't your constitution start with "We the people..."

I guess that great American liberty has been taken away in this issue.

I wholeheartedly agree that the PEOPLE who would be ultimately paying the price should have had the final say.

End of story.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And as usual you are wrong. Ross had already came up with 70% of what could have been as much as $350 million in total cost, he was asking for a loan of roughly 30% and had agreed to pay back 100% of all that he borrowed.

As for the vote I will go get you some numbers, but there have already been 10 votes and Ross has won every one of them. All by A HUGE number.
    You are speaking of senate votes, Im speaking about the public vote.

I have heard 70 percent plenty of times and in actuality 150 million of that was coming from NFL.
    The bed tax would give Dolphins up to 289 million and they wanted 90 million in tax rebates.
    Thats a total of 379 million so please show me the 70 percent.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadianfishfan View Post
    Doesn't your constitution start with "We the people..."

I guess that great American liberty has been taken away in this issue.

I wholeheartedly agree that the PEOPLE who would be ultimately paying the price should have had the final say.

End of story.
    Not sure why discussions and elections came up withiout first getting state to allow a change to law on bed taxes. The whole process seemed rushed and haphazard.
    The issue was not declared dead and there was no reason for a special election. This could have been brought forward and tryed to get on november ballot but way to much bs on both sides
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Galloway, NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    Ross never wanted this to get to a public vote in the first place, ala the Marlins vote. The only thing is now thy since that the "no public vote" wasn't in his favor, he is whining about it. You think he and Dee would be crying about Democracy if the renovations were approved without a public vote? LOL
    There was no vote. If the public had the opportunity to vote and voted it down, different story. But the public was cheated out of their right. You have no idea how the vote would have gone or how they Fins would have reacted IF the public voted it down. To assume how they would have reacted, well you know what they say about assuming . . .
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Mando: Lack of Stadium Election is Galling

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeoilSeller View Post
    There was no vote. If the public had the opportunity to vote and voted it down, different story. But the public was cheated out of their right. You have no idea how the vote would have gone or how they Fins would have reacted IF the public voted it down. To assume how they would have reacted, well you know what they say about assuming . . .
    I don't know what any of this has to do with my original statement...
    FIRE FAILBIN

Joe Philbin, PowerPoint Guru (Not Head Coach Material)
    Philbin ... put it all together in a PowerPoint presentation. Everything about that presentation had to be perfect.

“If any PowerPoint slide had a spelling or grammar mistake, any typo, any scheme error, that was my responsibility, just like a teacher,” Philbin said.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Galloway, NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is a good article. I find it amazing how many other posts on this subject say "the Fins will never leave South Florida." That is just an ignorant statement. As the article points out, that has been said many times before by low informed fans - until it happens to their team. This vote was not about today or tomorrow or next season or maybe not even 5 seasons, but it leaves the door open in the future. The Dolphins would have been obligated to stay in South Florida for another 30 years, now they are not. Plain and simple. Fins management was ok with the people deciding, it was going to be a tax placed on hotel occupancy not on the local residents, and a couple of politicians who put themselves ahead of the people made the final decision. It is a shame and it is a shame that so many posters on here cannot see that or choose not to see it.
    Quote Quote