Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dion Jordan a red zone threat?+ poll

1. -1
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dion Jordan a red zone threat?+ poll

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. I read that he he was actually recruited to play TE. During his redshirt freshman year, he was switched to DE. This got me thinking so I did a little digging:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73...=1&nid=2715057

STRENGTHS
    Hands and Concentration
    Red Zone Weapon
    Size
    AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
    Elusiveness with Catch
    Strength
    Jordan is a multiple position kind of player at the next level. He plays mainly WR in high school but could turn into a TE or even a DE in college. He has the size to create matchup problems at WR and the speed to do the same as a TE. Not a burner but not slow either. Will make the tough catches over the middle.

Biography:
    2006 Stats:54 catches for 804 yards and 13 TDs
    2006 Honors: Was named 1st team all region, 5A and all state.
    Dion Jordan also one of the state's top performers in the 110 and 300 meter hurdles. He has recorded times of 14.24 and 38.27 in those events respectively.
    Jordan missed much of his senior year due to burns sustained in an Oct. 6 accident but is on his way to a complete recovery.Jordan reports a 2.4 core GPA but says he doesn't remember his SAT score. He'll retake the SAT on Jan. 26. "I took it last year," he said. "I don't really remember. I took summer school and am doing better in school. I just want to finish strong and I'll be good. I'm definitely on track to graduate."
    Jordan: "I have a good combination of size and speed. I am great at creating mismatches on linebackers and can run down the field and make things happen. I'm pretty exciting on the field.
    "I'm just working on my overall knowledge and want to play smarter. I want to keep learning and stay focused."
    Chandler head coach Jim Ewan, "The upside to Dion is that he could play three spots, TE, WR or DE. He takes pride in doing all three. I think that he will end up a big WR, who can move into TE when needed."
    Apparently, he was a star player at WR, TE, and DE. Yes, I know...it's just high school. You have to admit it's still impressive that he was named 1st team in his entire region as a sophmore. That's also the year they won the state championship. I live in Florida, so I'm not familiar with the high school sports scene in Arizona. I don't know how high the level of compeition is. His high school is in division 1, region 5A.

Regardless, the fact that he has already demonstrated the ability to consistently catch the ball at a high level amongst his peers at the time makes me a little curious. It helps that he's already a physical freak as well.

http://www.aia365.com/authors/maxpreps/1678

Chandler
    Ranked in the Top 25 six years (2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
    Highest rank: 5 (2006)
    Lowest rank: 37 (2005)
    Average rank: 18.5

The draft is far from over, but right now our best red zone targets are Hartline and Keller at 6'2". Egnew is 6'5" but has done nothing. Hopefully the light bulb will come on for him because has great physical tools. I'm not holding my breath though. Letting Jordan (who is 6'6 1/2") line up as a red zone target only is pretty tempting.

I'd love to hear from anyone familiar with high school football in Arizona to find out how good the competition is.

EDIT: I thought I'd have an option to select a poll after submitting. Oh well. No poll then.
    Last edited by finomenal; 05-06-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    #freespesh

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Oops...this is the thread I meant to bump. I should've waited. The forums were flooded with post draft talk.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    good research but as I have said about Ted Ginn just because he was the 2nd rated player and number one cb coming out of high school doesnt mean he can play it in pros.
    He hasnt played TE in years and Im sure we didnt draft him number 3 to play TE but I hear what you saying
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He came to Oregon as a 215 pound wide receiver with intentions of bulking him up at TE. It's something that's been talked about in regards to Dion Jordan in the draft forum here and there for over a year. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him used in some red zone packages.

He's a similar athlete to a kid like Eric Ebron, who's the top underclassman TE on my board at the moment should he declare early for the 2014 draft. In short, Ebron is a 6'4", 235 pound kid that's simply too athletic and explosive to keep off the field... even when the team is on defense. Ebron catches passes from the TE position when UNC is on offense, then they'll let him rush the passer as a weakside end on defense.

You actually see a lot more of this in college football as coaches try to find the best fit for some of these athletic specimens.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Am I on speaker phone?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why can't he just be a DE? Why do so many people insist on turning him into Jim Jenson? He's a DE people, MAYBE on occasional 3-4 linebacker. If you really need to play your DE at TE, then you have a problem at TE.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The odds of using him on offense and defense is pretty low.Maybe down the road like we did with JT once or twice.But I wouldnt hold my breath the first few years.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It would make more sense to use Yeatman as a red zone threat. Yeatman was drafted as a tight end and likely has more tight end skills than Jordan.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well Yeatman has just as many nfl catches as Egnew
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    good research but as I have said about Ted Ginn just because he was the 2nd rated player and number one cb coming out of high school doesnt mean he can play it in pros.
    He hasnt played TE in years and Im sure we didnt draft him number 3 to play TE but I hear what you saying
    I agree. It's all speculation and projection at this point. Ted Ginn doesn't have good enough technique to be relied upon as a full time receiver. Jordan doesn't either; however, I don't think you can really compare those two because he would only be involved in red zone packages in my scenario. The main difference with Ted Gin and Dion Jordan though besides offensive playing experience at a major college is height. If Ginn and Jordan had the same level of technique at receiver, who do you trust more in the red zone?

If his only job on offense is to simply play power forward, box out and use his large frame to his advantage, he could be a scary threat. He played basketball too in high school albeit not with the same rate of success. 6.8 rebounds per game! Okay I'm being facetious with that one. That sounded Al Bundy-esque, but at least he understands the concept.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it would be too difficult for him to learn the bare minimum necessary to be a red zone threat. We already know he has the most important part of it down. Unlike Jason Taylor, when the ball is thrown to him, he knows how to catch it.

For the poster who questioned why we would want to do this, please understand I'm not talking about turning him into Jim Jensen. Jim Jensen played offense at random times, not red zone only. I disagree with the assesment that making this type of move means you have a problem at TE. I'll admit I'm not confident with that position although I'm cautiously optimistic to see what Dion Sims can do. That being said, even if TE ends up being a position of strength, it makes the offense that much more threatening if you have another large target lining up in the red zone.

With Jordan, I'm talking about purely a red zone target. We can't afford to wear him out with too many snaps per game. Considering he probably needs to add anoter 20 pounds is why I think he wouldn't get too many snaps overall even when factoring in red zone snaps. His pass rushing moves are raw so I could see Olivier Vernon subbing in for him more than you would normally see a 3rd overall pick being subbed out. All the analysts have been saying that he'll need to add more weight but of course all of this is speculation and not an exact science. They could all be wrong and he could turn out to be Jason Pierre-Paul his first year.

To quote the late great Jim Mandich, the thought of a 6'6 1/2" TE in the red zone makes my toes tingle.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Well Yeatman has just as many nfl catches as Egnew
    And how many does Jordan have since high school?
    Quote Quote