Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Remarkable Journey of Jordan Kovacs

1. -1
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks

The Remarkable Journey of Jordan Kovacs

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/ar...2-e46777ae0d6d

For your reading pleasure, and a better story than Rudy ever was. Hopefully, it doesn't end in August.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    hoboken, nj
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm joining the Kovacs fan club!

I love the fact that Ross actually called him...pretty cool.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    BJJ Black Belt

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm already rooting for him to make this team.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Am I on speaker phone?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great story. Hope he does well...

This annoys me though:
    Thatís all Jordan Kovacs needs to here; heís going to get a chance...
    You mean "hear"? I understand these mistakes on a message board, but in an article on the official Dolphins site? Come on Andy Cohen, you're better than that.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Really captures what I've been trying to say about the guy since he was signed as a UDFA.

One thing I'll add is that you stack up his pro day numbers and there's nothing that is particularly impressive about them, but there's nothing that is particularly discouraging about them either. Meaning, you stack them up next to 90% of the safety prospects that were drafted this year, and the numbers fit right in. He's a 4.60 guy. Well, so are the likes of Kenny Vaccaro, Jon Cyprien, Phillip Thomas and D.J. Swearinger. His vertical compares with the likes of Matt Elam, Shawn Williams, Zeke Motta, Robert Lester, Phillip Thomas, Josh Evans and Rontez Miles. He basically has the same athletic profile as Phillip Thomas, albeit perhaps 2 inches shorter (but only 3 lbs lighter).

What's interesting about that is, this is a guy that got no offers coming out of high school. None. Not even to Hillsdale. He did not show up to college running and jumping and performing like NFL athletes that get drafted in the 2nd round. He worked his butt off to get that movement ability. But the end result is the same. He runs as fast as the other guys, he can jump as high, he can cut like them, etc. He's probably not going to get faster from here or more explosive, but then again neither are those other guys likely to do that either. But what he's left with that they might not necessarily have is the drive and work ethic that saw him able to squeeze every drop out of his athletic potential. That's significant because once you get here and once you have the athletic ability to play at this level, it's mostly a mental game.

Watch him on tape and you're not going to see a guy that gets 7 interceptions in a season, or a guy with Shamarko Thomas' pure range as a 4.3 speedster. You don't even see a guy who will make every tackle he goes for. But you will see him. A lot. What that means is, even in broadcast footage where the cameras zoom in on the football after the start of the play, there's Jordan Kovacs over and over again either making a direct physical play on the ball while it's still live, or arriving at the ball just as the whistle blows. I think I counted him doing that about 70% of the time. I counted him actually arriving at the football in time to make a physical play on the ball while it's still alive about 40% of the time which is insane. To say the guy hustles is an understatement. He finds the football.

I have no delusions of him being the next Zach Thomas of the secondary. But I do think he has the potential to carve out a Tyrone Culver-like career here.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One of my all time favorites at Michigan. Not very strong in coverage but he made countless big plays in run support and sacks. The coaches will love him because I think they will be hard pressed to find someone who works harder. I won't be surprised if he makes at least the practice squad and I wouldn't count him out working his way up to the 53 at some point.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    One of my all time favorites at Michigan. Not very strong in coverage but he made countless big plays in run support and sacks. The coaches will love him because I think they will be hard pressed to find someone who works harder. I won't be surprised if he makes at least the practice squad and I wouldn't count him out working his way up to the 53 at some point.
    I agree. The practice squad is where I have him. His physical profile is not one where a team like Miami would be overly concerned he'll be poached should they try and clear him through waivers. The practice squad is a perfect way to keep him around cheap, while still reserving protected spots for players that need the protection from being poached.

I would be very surprised if he doesn't at least end up landing on the practice squad. I think the coaches will just want to keep him around helping them out with their scout team because they know what they're going to get from him on every rep.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aurora Il
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Worst-case scenario is that he makes our other secondary guys play harder and smarter to beat him out. If I'm a drafted player with the pedigree, I'd be damned to let some UDFA take my job and get me cut from the team. Any player that lets himself get outworked by another guy to the point where it costs him his dream to play in the NFL should be ashamed of himself.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When the owner reaches out to contact him, has been his fan at his alma mater, he stands a good chance of making the roster if it boils down to being "six of one/half a dozen of another" type of decision.

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    TWO

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Coaches started to notice the blond-haired kid who was always early and always stayed late. By the time that season began, Kovacs had earned a spot on special teams. By the fifth game, he was the starting safety. That was 2009. By his senior season in 2012, Kovacs was captain of the Michigan football team and later voted MVP of the team.
    Talk about work'n... that's called forcing them to keep ya on the field cause ya just keep making plays!!!

Man I love ta root for the underdog!
    He should'a armed himself if'n he was gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.
    Quote Quote