Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volin projects Fins to have $13.7 million in cap space after rookie deals

1. -1
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo

GM Volin projects Fins to have $13.7 million in cap space after rookie deals

Good article and breakdown by Ben Volin in his final days covering the Dolphins.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/theda...he-salary-cap/

He breaks down the Top 51 rule, how not all rookies will count against the salary cap in training camp and how much room we will have post June 1st cuts(Dansby and Burnett) and after the draft picks sign.

The good news is that once all the deals are done, the Dolphins will have roughly $13.7 million in cap space to extend players, use in-season for injury replacements or just carry over to the 2014 offseason.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ben Volin will be sorely missed. I loved listening to him on WQAM and reading his articles. This salary cap article say's it all. The only question is how much of the #13.7M can be rolled over into 2014?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great article! We will need every dollar we can roll over to next year. All of our contracts this off season have big cap numbers next year. We should also consider that we will gain another $3M when Carpenter is cut. Either Patterson ($4.6M) or Marshall ($3.2M) will get cut, so that's some more $$$. Possibly another $4M if we let Cog go, but I don't think that will happen.

We could go easily go into the season with $18M+ to roll over to next year.
    Last edited by foozool13; 05-07-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Man, it's crazy to think before 2011 their wasn't this cap in place for these rookies. Unbelievable, to think a rookie coming into the league had the potential to make a heck of alot more money than an establish veteran.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jones will need to be extended. As mentioned I fully expect Dan C. to be cut... not sure how we look next year even with Wallace's 17million hit, but I'd like to keep Starks and Solia at the DT position as well.
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
    Jones will need to be extended. As mentioned I fully expect Dan C. to be cut... not sure how we look next year even with Wallace's 17million hit, but I'd like to keep Starks and Solia at the DT position as well.
    I think we keep Soliai and let Stark leave. The NFL draft is loaded with DTs with similar skill set to Starks'. Guys like Soliai aren't so easy to find though.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Agreed, Solia would be harder to replace.

You also have to remember that Grimes/Keller and Clabo are only one year deals so those contracts will come off the books unless they are extended/re-upped.

Incognito and Starks are probably playing their last year for the Fins so that would open up over 12 million right there.

Plus Patterson and or Marshall might not make it through training camp and both of those guys carry pretty bid deals.

Next off season the Fins will obviously not be looking to sign so many new guys(maybe they will go all in on a DF LT if available)but they will need to extend some guys and as mentioned above many of this years FS signing have bigger Cap hits in year 2 of their deals.
    It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foozool13 View Post
    I think we keep Soliai and let Stark leave. The NFL draft is loaded with DTs with similar skill set to Starks'. Guys like Soliai aren't so easy to find though.
    agreed! if we can only keep 1, I hope it's Paul. I also think Odrick's game will evolve to Starks level soon, so Starks maybe expendable.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    use that money to renovate stadium :p Charge people more money to go to games and raise the roof!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Personally I think Soliai's spot is the one that's in danger. Ireland has mentioned the need to get more push up the middle from the DT's. To me that signifies looking for a DT that has the ability to put pressure on the passer on any down, even if it means sacrificing a bit on run defense.
    Quote Quote