Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volin projects Fins to have $13.7 million in cap space after rookie deals

1. -11
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Starks has played consistently well over the past few years since they brought him here. Right after Wake, Randy is the most reliable guy on D.

I'm not sure that Odrick will be able to fill those shoes.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Good article and breakdown by Ben Volin in his final days covering the Dolphins.

The good news is that once all the deals are done, the Dolphins will have roughly $13.7 million in cap space to extend players, use in-season for injury replacements or just carry over to the 2014 offseason.
    Unbelievable that they have that much leave after adding all those free agents. I'm really glad they passed on the fat Albert deal and still got a skilled tackle for much less plus saved the 2nd round pick KC wanted.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    I love lamp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by foozool13 View Post
    I think we keep Soliai and let Stark leave. The NFL draft is loaded with DTs with similar skill set to Starks'. Guys like Soliai aren't so easy to find though.
    not sure i agree. Soliai is very athletic for a man that big, sure, but he's basically a two-down player. he doesn't offer much as a pass-rusher. Starks on the other hand is a three-down DT. if i had to decide between the two, i'd go with Stark, unless Soliai comes at a really reasonable price. if i have to pay up, i'm paying for the guy who's on the field on money downs.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2014 is not as bleak in terms of cap space as most thought after the huge spending spree in 2013. With a few cuts or releases, Miami could be as much as $20M under the cap for the remainder of 2013 and eligible to roll that money into 2014. This huge rollover windfall COULD set up Miami very nicely going into the F/A period in 2014. Very impressive by the F/O of the Dolphins. This is the most excited I've been in many years as a Dolfan, it all started with the possibility and than reality of Tannehill being drafted by Miami and all the draft picks and cap space that followed. Things really do seem to be looking up. The only downer is the stadium situation.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    wales and will die a prou
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Patterson is massively overpaid. Has to be restructured or cut. Simple. I like Richard Marshall before injury. Very good in nickel and can also play on edge and FS.

I like Starks more than Soliai, but Odrick would play the Starks role. Also Starks is older so to me Soliai is the one to resign.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In Dawn Aponte I trust
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foozool13 View Post
    Great article! We will need every dollar we can roll over to next year. All of our contracts this off season have big cap numbers next year. We should also consider that we will gain another $3M when Carpenter is cut. Either Patterson ($4.6M) or Marshall ($3.2M) will get cut, so that's some more $$$. Possibly another $4M if we let Cog go, but I don't think that will happen.

We could go easily go into the season with $18M+ to roll over to next year.
    This is pretty much inevitable imo. Carp is gone and likely a corner or two. If we're clearing house, theres some new young linebackers I'd like a lot better than Spitler/Trusnik too.

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They'll need to roll that money forward to 2014 because a lot of the new contracts they signed artificially lowered the 2013 cap numbers at the direct expense of 2014.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis34 View Post
    This is pretty much inevitable imo. Carp is gone and likely a corner or two. If we're clearing house, theres some new young linebackers I'd like a lot better than Spitler/Trusnik too.
    Yup.....Trusnik as a LB is pure GARBAGE.....he's awful....cut Trusnik now please :-)
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Also, looking at the lists, it cracks me up how we owe Les Brown and other players small amounts of money. 1500, 300, etc
    Quote Quote